News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fender tag

Started by 69 rt, November 18, 2006, 11:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on December 06, 2006, 09:10:19 PM

M31 N88 R11 V1X V88 END
B41 B51 C16 C55  J25 M21
Q5  Q5 C5X X9 328 1??442
E86 D32 XS29 L9B 337166

That is just me though. I've seen many tags list the B41 and the B51 option. However there are some that just list the B51. And then there are some that list the color 2 time at on the second line, and others that just have it once. Kind of odd to see an R/T without a 26" radiator. Beautiful color combination though.

I did not see B41 coded on the sheet, but I could be mistaken.  If B51 is coded by itself, it just means Power Drum Brakes.  B41 & B51 together is Power Disc Brakes.  Again, I may not have read the sheet correctly - but the reason I left B41 off was because I personally did not think it was on the B-cast sheet.

The "Q5 Q5" question is a little more tricky.  On Hamtramck cars, they only seemed to stamp the color code on Vinyl Top cars' Fender Tags once - even though the color shows up twice on the Broadcast Sheet.  The first spot on the second row of the Fender Tag was supposedly for Roof/Accent color, and the second for Body Color.  At least that has been what I have seen.  '69 C500's and Daytonas will all have the color listed twice, since none of them were built with a Vinyl Top. 

Each plant did thing in this regard just a little differently.  69CoronetRT is "Da Man" when it comes to St. Louis tags, and maybe Barry Washington can chime in sometime and give the official opinion on Hamtramck Fender Tag paint codes.  Lynch Road is just an oddball all the way around - I won't even start on that one...

You're right, it is odd to see an R/T without a 26" radiator.  That pretty much tells you that the car had a 3.23 gear rear end, no A/C and no trailer tow packages or other options requiring the Medium or Maximum Cooling packages.

It is a great looking combo though, and I'd love to see what those cloth insert seats look like sometime in person.  Gotta be better in the summertime than black vinyl!   :o

69CoronetRT

Hey I know this is late and all, but this is the first day I've seen this thread.

You guys came to the concensus on the tag, but I was wondering about a few things.

Just by going by 500 tags, as I have those on hand, but I would think it would read as follows.

M31 N88 R11 V1X V88 END
B41 B51 C16 C55  J25 M21
Q5  Q5 C5X X9 328 1??442
E86 D32 XS29 L9B 337166

That is just me though. I've seen many tags list the B41 and the B51 option. However there are some that just list the B51. And then there are some that list the color 2 time at on the second line, and others that just have it once. Kind of odd to see an R/T without a 26" radiator. Beautiful color combination though.

69 STL did not code B41 but Hamtramck did. That could be one reason why some tags show it and some tags don't. That's also one way to tell a fake or remade tag.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: hemigeno on December 06, 2006, 10:56:09 PM

M31 N88 R11 V1X V88 END
B41 B51 C16 C55  J25 M21
Q5  Q5 C5X X9 328 1??442
E86 D32 XS29 L9B 337166

I did not see B41 coded on the sheet, but I could be mistaken. 

:iagree: I see B31 (HD 11" Drum) and B51 on the sheet meaning power drum brakes.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I also agree with geno about the double body colors on a Hamtramck tag.....would only be there if there was no vinyl roof coded.

STL tags coded the body color twice regardless if it has a v/roof or not.

His tag should have 1 color stamped due to the V1X & it being a Hamtramck car.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 rt

I ordered the tag and it will only have the color stamped once, glad we had it right. Nice to be able to hash it out and come to a good conclusion. If I find out that I missed something , at least I know where to go to get another.

Thanks again for all your help.

Manfred318

I know this will sound kinda dumb, but would it be possible to get a tag made if I have dont already have one or the build sheet. My tag was "lost" when I had my car repainted, and the build sheet was accidently destroyed by my old man when we moved last year. I tried to salvage it but it was in too many pieces :rotz:

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Ghoste

Not dumb and not hard.  Thats the down side to the repro tags, it is pretty much left to the honesty of the person purchasing the tag.  They'll put whatever you want on it.
As a side note, since I am one who often criticizes the "guru", I will openly applaud the fact that if you go through him, he won't process the order unless you can prove what was supposed to be on the tag.

Manfred318

OK thanks for that info. I want go get one original as possible, could some of you guys help me out with the option codes that go on the tag?
The car is a plain Jane car no real options, vinyl top, buckets, 318, auto on column, hubcaps, am radio with front speaker only. I know the paint code is JJ1, and the Vin is XP29F8B285974 if that helps at all. I can also post some pics of the car tomorrow if that would help too.
Thanks for the help,
--John

Current MoPars:

MM1R/T

'68 tags are pretty straightforward. There's not nearly as much info on them as on '69 and up tags.

The best resource for '68 tags that I've found is www.andy440.com. There's a breakdown of all the codes there.

The only two numbers you won't be able to get off of his site are your SON, located on the core support and trunk weatherstrip lip on your car, and your scheduled production date.

The SPD will have to be an educated "guesstimate", since there's no way to tell exactly what it was without the original tag or buildsheet.

About all you can do to come up with a plausible SPD is to see what's on cars with VIN's near yours.

I've been collecting '68 Hamtramck VIN/SPD combo's and the ones I have near yours are as follows:

XS29L8B279312  SPD-205
XP28G8B282356  SPD-207
BH23B8B288899  SPD-216
LP27F8B289364   SPD-215

As you can see, there is no direct correlation between VIN and SPD. Cars with lower VIN's sometimes have later SPD's.

If I were you, I'd do a google search for "1968 calendar", pick a weekday around February 9th or 10th, and go with that. It's unlikely that it will be exactly what was on the original tag, but it will be close enough that no one could positively say that it was wrong.

Manfred318

Thanks alot for that info MM1R/T :cheers: .

Current MoPars:

69_500

My mistake, I saw the B31 and thought B41, so my mistake on that one.

I wasn't for sure on the whole V1X and whether or not vinyl roof cars had the body color listed twice. Hmmmm, makes me wonder now then I'll have to go back through some of my fender tags for 500's. I recall at least 2 where the body color wasn't listed 2 times.