News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

and so it begins... My Charger *UPDATED Aug 5th*

Started by Khyron, November 17, 2006, 10:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

Khyron

O.k. it's been a little since I updated, I'll post pics tomorrow.

The top is off and I've been spending my time assessing the car. The top was it's original it looked. but.....

It's solid. very little rust on the front over the windshield and 2 small holes on the inner sail panels. nothing a little welding and fiberglass can't fix. So it looks like she's going to stay a hardtop.

The DMCL clone idea may be a go. I'm toying with a few other combonations. We'll see how this progresses.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Big Lebowski

That's just going to love the 383. My buddies 383 has 11-1 pistons and a healthy cam, I swear it revs like it wants to take on the 440's :devil:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

OttawaCharger

Looking good. 
Keep taking lots of pictures.  They never forget how things went.
My original vinyl top had staples at the front, screws at the back, and glue and paint holding everything else that was left of it on.  cleaning that all up was an exercise in patience.  :eyes:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Khyron

well, Progress is being made, the vinyl is off and the roof is good, some sail panel repair was needed and the rear window had to come out. I had to weld in a few small pieces of new metal for the area, but nothing bad, I've been working on keeping it nice and smooth back there. I do not have plans on putting a new top on it.

The engine compartment has been media blasted and stripped. there were several layers of paint and primer in there  not to mention it was black. well, not anymore. it will be painted as a mopar should be, body color ;)

here are some more progress pics

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

tan top

looks   :scope:like you have been busy  ,  good stuff  .   thanks for sharing the pictures .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Khyron

More sanding and smoothing, basicly the whole drivers side is close. engine compartment is stripped, now for some more sanding...

and more sanding

and more sanding.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

PocketThunder

:o  you are at the point now where some guys close the door and dont come back for years...  but stay persistent and get some color on that baby.

are the brake line ends open?  might want to tape them up.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Khyron

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 02, 2007, 09:11:54 PM
:o  you are at the point now where some guys close the door and dont come back for years...  but stay persistent and get some color on that baby.

are the brake line ends open?  might want to tape them up.

hehe I'll stay persistant. She WILL be back on the road for Spring.

Those brake likes are actually getting removed. I'm re-routing everything for a cleaner engine compartment.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

derailed

:2thumbs: Looks like that garage is getting broke in quickly

Khyron

Quote from: derailed on January 02, 2007, 11:34:27 PM
:2thumbs: Looks like that garage is getting broke in quickly

ohh yeah, it's a F-ing mess now :lol:

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 02, 2007, 09:11:54 PM
:o  you are at the point now where some guys close the door and dont come back for years... 
...or push it outside & don't come back for years. :rotz:

Looks good Khyron, it's gonna be sweet when it's finished. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

mikepmcs

All this in just a little over a month.  Man, that is some drive right there.  Go Man Go!!!!!! :METAL: :METAL: :METAL: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Bandit72

what are you using to sand it down?
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Khyron

Quote from: Bandit72 on January 03, 2007, 01:47:57 PM
what are you using to sand it down?
The hand sanding is basic 80 grip paper. The engine compartment has been a hand held media blaster and some "Black beauty" material. Followed by some Aluminum Oxide to smoothen it out ;)

More to come. I think I'll get a few hours in tonight :D

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

70 Charger RT

QuoteI would go 440, but that's just me.
While you're spending money on the body, you might as well spend money on the engine too.  I'd go with a create hemi :icon_smile_big:  After all, it's only money, right? LOL
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Khyron

only money? tell my wife that, she can't understand why I would do this to a running decent looking car to begin with :lol:

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

it's been awhile, so here goes. A lot has been removed and done, besides a few small spots, The car will be in primer soon, at least the backhalf of it. I haven't worked on the fenders yet ;)
The engine compartment is pretty much striped and cleaned, Steering box removed and a few other items. All the harness holders have been cut, and the inner fenderwalls smoothened out. I'll be re-routing all wires and vacuum lines around the engine bay, I'm a sucker for a clean look.
The rest of the body seems straight, after a few coats of primer we'll find out. I found a few spots that the car needed some major help, both rear quarters needed some work. I removed some of the old filler, banged out some dents and used a lot less filler to skim coat. The roof is perfect, I ordered some filler for the lead sections and we'll be squared away with that

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

TruckDriver

Wish I had ambition like you. Looks good so far ;)
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

THE CHARGER PUNK

So what color is she going to be back 2 gold? or citron yella with a black side stripe with  in the back :D

Khyron

due to how well the hardtop is comming out, and my excitement, it will be citron Yella, with the side stripes ;)

The only difference will be the hood. I am putting on a 6-pack hood, painted with the body color. The  scoop will have a thin black stripe going up to it, then going the width if the scoop, then back ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Charger_Fan

Your car seems to have a little extra ventilation...is your Charger a 1 of 1? :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Joshua

Glad to hear about the engine swap. :2thumbs:
In my opinion....a '68-'70 Charger should NEVER have a SB.....it just isn't right. :Twocents:

Khyron

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on January 15, 2007, 12:17:37 PM
Your car seems to have a little extra ventilation...is your Charger a 1 of 1? :icon_smile_tongue:

I was wondering the same thing, They're some sort of plugs. I posted up on that thread about what they were. Never got an answer. :shrug:

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

THE CHARGER PUNK

so instead of saying ''440'' its gonna say ''360''? and are u going to keep the vinyl top tri mas well like the movie car?