News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to Change a 8 3/4 gear...with pictures!!

Started by AKcharger, August 28, 2005, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Hi guysI swapped out my 3.23's for a gas friendly 2.76 set for the trip to El Dorado next month and thought I'd take some pictures for those that haven't seen how easy it is.

1) jack car and remove wheels

2) remove 5 nuts per axle and remove axles. Mine came out easy but if their stuck take your brake drum, reverse it and install lug nuts...then use it as a "slide hammer" to remove axle

AKcharger

3) Remove drive shaft

4) Remove 10 nuts from around center section, leave the top nut installed loosely so you can press up on the unit with a jack to drain fluid

5) Once most of fluid is out carefully take unit out...CAUTION unit is about 60 pounds!

6) removal complete!

AKcharger

7) Clean mating surfaces of axle housing and install new gasket

8) Inspect new unit and install in axle...install and tighten 10 nuts torque to 45 lbs

9) Install drivers side axle and install 5 nuts...torque to 35 lbs

AKcharger

10) Only wierd thing is on the Passanger side. You may need to adjust the axles using this adjuster...it adjust BOTH the left and right sides by way of a pin in the ring carrier...oh yeah...make sure that's installed before you install the unit, sorry forgot to take picture of that

11) Turn adjuster as necessary to provide just a "wee bit" of inboard to outboard play in the axles 

AKcharger

Oh, and if yoke sizes are diffrent you can use the NAPA NUJ240-0369 U-joint that goes from big yoke to small yoke and vise-versa

AKcharger

And it's always nice to have an expert helper...Like my Pal Stan whose seen here adjusting the axle

Good Luck!

AKcharger

Doesn't have anything to do with axles but I thought this was a cool shot

GoodysGotaCUDA

Thanks for that post!!! Maybe we can get it put in a Tech Archive or something. I'll be diving into mine to replace my pegleg 2.76 with a Grip and 3.91s  :devil:

-Goody

derailed

thanks for the insight AK. I recently picked up a 742 housing and sure grip unit for my 68 and want to swap out the 1 legger thats in it but i want to rebuild it first

4402tuff4u

Thanks AKCharger! I really though it was a nightmare to change the gears. All I pictured in my mind was pulling off the axel and seeing ball bearings and springs flinging through the air and then having parts left over when putting back. I also thought there were really precise adjustments needed so that pinion gears wear off evenly.

I thought the picture showing your nice garage and the two nice Chargers was going to say: " I lost a nut in the process, can anyone help me find it?"

How about changing a rear from non-sure grip to sure grip, is it as simple as changing gears?
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

aifilaw

good post, need more of these...shuold do a step-by of the sure-grip install sometime.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

AKcharger

Thanks Guys

- 440/aifilaw, Sure-grip and nonsure grip are the same BUT you may have to do that axle adjustment like I pointed out in step 10 and 11. I actually went from a 742 case Sure-grip 3.23 to a open 2.76 (not sure of case) I did have to adjust the axle in a bit other wise all the same.

Now if you installing a Sure-Grip unit in the carrier...that's when things get interesting with Ring and Pinion alighnment, mic checks and wear checks and such...a bit beyond somthing I want to attempt

Also Garage was my Pal stan's along with his project '68 Charger.

- Oh, total cost $19 -- $10 for lube and $9 for new speedo pinion from dodge dealer

AKcharger

Nice to review this as I plan to swap out the carrier again this weekend for a 3:91 set...thanks for the tips and photos AK from 10 years ago!

Kern Dog

Pouria

Very interesting thread for me as you know I am at it now! Thanks for that, is the 2.76 still on the car? Is it your 470 stroker motor? Would you please share your 2.76 experience with me?

AKcharger

Kern...Lol...Yup!  :lol: Pouria this is in my '70 Charger (the '72 stroker car got the 3:23 I removed above) The 2:76's are great if you're doing long distance traveling/cruising, which is what I set this car up for, otherwise 3:23's are you're best bet. I'm going 3:91's 'cause no real long hauls planned and those steep gears really make it peppy!

AKcharger

ACUDANUT

I can't stand the smell of 90 w. AKA skunk juice.  I will pay big money for it not having to having it stick to my clothes and skin.

AKcharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 14, 2017, 10:00:00 AM
I can't stand the smell of 90 w. AKA skunk juice.  I will pay big money for it not having to having it stick to my clothes and skin.

That means you're getting old!  :nana: