News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's it worth? NOS 68 Charger grill

Started by chgr500, November 24, 2006, 09:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chgr500

What do think a 68 NOS Charger grill is worth?  Complete plastic centre and both side sections with chrome on one side piece and one piece of straight chrome,  both NOS.  I have contact with a fellow who has this part and bin in the attic 20 years now.  I spoke to him and states 99% mint.  Bought it for a project and never used.
You see what eBay prices do to these parts now $7000 for an NOS 1/4 panel and a huge increase in $$$$$$ for all NOS items for all 2nd gen parts.  What do you think this grill COULD be worth????  Never seen an NOS for sale so I am not sure about his asking price.

He also says he has NOS Cuda and Challenger grills,  yes plural.... several grills.........but lets not go there for now.
Ron

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

Which parts of the grill are NOS? The plastic or the trim (or both)? There was a complete NOS grill at Carlisle (5 plastic pieces) for $4,500. Of course, it didn't sell - that was the asking price. Since the chrome trim is reproduced now it should put a dent in the NOS trim prices. A used grill in very good condition can go for $1000-1600 or so for the entire assembly including the frame. I bought a non-cracked, complete grill last winter for $500 so you never know what's out there.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

chgr500

Hey Troy,  all 5 pieces are included plus two NOS chrome trim pieces.  All parts are NOS.  I see nice used grills on Ebay go for $900-$1000.  The fellow is asking $2250 Canadian for it.  Little much for an investment on my behalf not being able to compare it's worth.  Of course it just takes two people who want the same thing $$$$$  Alway looking for ways to fund the Charger
On the west coast of Canada there is not anything like Carlisle for me to even see any of these type of parts to do any comparison.  Ebay and the internet are my biggest source. 
Thanks for your input and what a great web site you have.
Ron

bull

I've seen a few nice used, complete grilles go for $800-$1,000 on Ebay but people go bonkers when the letters "NOS" are used. The thing is that grilles are pretty easily restored to new condition so long as they aren't broken so the average Joe isn't going to pay huge amounts for NOS. The buyers who go after stuff like that are the ones who have to have NOS and will go to great lengths to outdo others just like them for bragging rights. It's really hard to say for certain but I wouldn't doubt that those pieces would jump well over $1k. I guess it depends on whether you're buying or selling. :icon_smile_big:

bull

Quote from: chgr500 on November 24, 2006, 10:19:45 PM
Hey Troy,  all 5 pieces are included plus two NOS chrome trim pieces.  All parts are NOS.  I see nice used grills on Ebay go for $900-$1000.  The fellow is asking $2250 Canadian for it.  Little much for an investment on my behalf not being able to compare it's worth.  Of course it just takes two people who want the same thing $$$$$  Alway looking for ways to fund the Charger
On the west coast of Canada there is not anything like Carlisle for me to even see any of these type of parts to do any comparison.  Ebay and the internet are my biggest source.  Thanks for your input and what a great site you have.
Ron

Yikes, that's pretty steep! I wouldn't pay that but it wouldn't suprise me if someone on Ebay would.

chgr500

Yikes, that's pretty steep! I wouldn't pay that but it wouldn't suprise me if someone on Ebay would.

That's what I kinda thought Bull.  Might as well say 2k USD for me to purchase.  I think that could be around the final bid price.. or so    Could it make more than that on Ebay being NOS. 
Carlisle part $4500 hmmmmmmm  Don't see these NOS parts on eBay.....rarely

kab69440

About 6 months ago a NOS 69 grill topped out at 1700 or so, if memory serves. All I remember is getting screwed out of a set of flip-top gas cap fasteners because my guess on the closing bid was a few dollars over the actual closing bid. Even though it was the closest. I just can't  win for losing... ;D
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

chgr500

Couple of similar recent completed listings

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-1969-Dodge-Charger-Right-Grill-Section-NOS_W0QQitemZ120052017250QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33654QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-Dodge-Charger-Center-Grill-Section-NOS_W0QQitemZ120050507691QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33654QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do you think there is a differerence in value for the different years?  All three years are demanding big $$$

Maybe I should get some pics and list this on eBay on a cheap listing day and go fishing for it's worth.  Or even just spend the money for the reserve listing.  Have to cost in the eBay chunk of $$   If it sold I could just go pay the dude and don't have to worry about having a 68 grill as a wall hanging in the garage  lol 

Never know.....might make a nice Christmas present for someone.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mauibarber

How high do these prices have to get before an aftermarket company sees the potential profit of recreating these things?  Part of me wants these hard to find parts to go balistic in price just so companies like Year One will start making them for the masses.  :Twocents:

tecmopar

I got one about 1 1/2yrs ago, NOS and COMPLETE from the radiator support out, vac pods, ALL of the  brackets, emblems, every nut and bolt, hoses, even the original GE bulbs. It was actually a dealer take off for some unknown reason and had never seen the street. I paid 2600.00 for it and was happy to pay it because it was absolutely beautiful. Turns out I never used it and sold it for a lot more, just lucky on that one I guess. Is the one your looking at this complete or just the 5 pieces and some chrome.

Troy

Quote from: mauibarber on November 25, 2006, 02:04:21 AM
How high do these prices have to get before an aftermarket company sees the potential profit of recreating these things?  Part of me wants these hard to find parts to go balistic in price just so companies like Year One will start making them for the masses.  :Twocents:
They are already on it. More info will be posted as soon as it's available.

FYI - Year One doesn't actually make any parts - they are a reseller. Sometimes they have "exclusive" agreements though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mauibarber

69Charger500

I gave away (free) a complete NOS '70 charger Front Grille & Headlamp Doors about 10 years ago, but I think they've gone up in value since then....