News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air Cleaner Hood Clearance

Started by Chatt69chgr, December 04, 2006, 07:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I am doing a resto mod on a 69 Charger.  Engine will be a 440 and I will be using the stock unsilenced air cleaner (the black wrinkle finish unit with the 440 Magnum Pie Pan on top).  Also plan on using a Edelbrock carburetor.  I had originally planned on using the stock iron intake manifold until I found out it doesn't flow well.  In reading a recent thread, it appears that the best choice of manifold for me would be either the CH4B or the Edelbrock Performer RPM.  Question is:  Will I have hood clearance issues with either of these two manifolds?  If the answer is yes, what about the Weiand dual plane manifold.  I have heard it is real good too.  And I definitely want to use a dual plane manifold-----1500 to 6000 rpm.  Thanks.

firefighter3931

The ch4b will fit but the RPM will not with the dual snorkel. The Wiend dual plane is descent as well but just a notch below the ch4b in the manifold pecking order.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger-Bodie

of the manifolds you named i only have exp. with the rpm its an awesome intake but about the clerance it can be done first thing i did was got a pail that the out side of the air cleaner base fit  and the took a large pipe that fit the air horn part and hit it up with a hammer lowering the base when sitting on the carb you only want to as much as needed cause the more you go the more you restrict the air filter and also check the clearence of the fuel line you may need to bend it down slightly and also watch the throttle lever ect it will work and look stock if you do it right  :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger-Bodie

ps the duel snorkel will also work with these same mods on the rpm if you use a after market drop base and a little tweaking i know this cause my old charger had this setup
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

firefighter3931

The only problem with dropping the base that far is you end up restricting airflow into the carb. Ever try breathing through a straw ?  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 04, 2006, 08:48:06 PM
The only problem with dropping the base that far is you end up restricting airflow into the carb. Ever try breathing through a straw ?  :icon_smile_big:

Ron........this is very true and if you take it to the strip i would suggest using a K&n filer and top for max flow but when you are just cruzin around and whatever it wont restrict it that much trust me ive done this in the real world its the best you can do either put a less flow intake on and be stuck with it always or have 2 air cleaners for given purpaces i personally like things to be modded but look like they are not

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 04, 2006, 09:04:24 PM

Ron........this is very true and if you take it to the strip i would suggest using a K&n filer and top for max flow but when you are just cruzin around and whatever it wont restrict it that much trust me ive done this in the real world its the best you can do either put a less flow intake on and be stuck with it always or have 2 air cleaners for given purpaces i personally like things to be modded but look like they are not

Agreed, for simple cruising around the inlet restriction won't be too noticable, but when you get over 4500- 5000rpm it becomes very noticable. A friend was running a drop base with his cuda flat hood and the RPM intake and the engine nosed over real early. I told him to remove the air cleaner assembly and take it for a blast and he was  :o

Soon afterwards the cheapo (14x2.25) drop base assembly was gone and he had a scoop on the car with a proper 14x3 element and all was well.  :icon_smile_big: The other thing he noticed is that with all the extra air coming in, the carb was running lean and had to be jetted up.

Chargers have reasonable hood clearance and the RPM will fit with a holley and a 14x3 drop base filter with a 1.25in drop. The hood clearance is tight but it does clear with a little room. The K&N with the flow-thru top is the hot ticket, especially if your carb still has a choke horn.  :yesnod:

Ideally, you want ~2in from the top of the choke horn to the lid (if it's a solid lid) for descent breathing. If the chokehorn is removed you can get away with a lower profile assembly and still have good performance.

Ron

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

Looks like I need a CH4B Edelbrock.   If anybody has a lead on one of these I would be interested. 

Hey Just 69 Chgr---------I see you are using a dual line holley.  I am not dead set on using the Edelbrock.  Had heard it was easy to set up.  I had a dual line holley that came stock on my 66 Fairlane 390 GTA (probably should have kept the car).  I drove the car for about 80,000 miles, it was my first car,  and had to fiddle with the carb often.  Seems like the float levels kept getting off somehow.  After I would readjust everything, all was well for a month or two and then I had to mess with it again.  Have you had this problem?  Or have they pretty much solved these issues along with the power valve issue on the new Holleys?

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I really appreciate the help.

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

TylerCharger69

You shouldn't have any clearaqnce issues, providing the intake has no serious rise to it, because the Edelbrock carb  is basically  just like the old AFB  AVS  carbs from the factory.   On mine, however....I have the Eddy intake and carb,   and a 4 inch thick air filter element.  I'm using a drop base bottom though

SeattleCharger

Question about the drop base bottom,  even though the filter is tall, is the air opening actually restricted around the rim of the carb from the drop base bottom of air cleaner housing ?  in pics, see what I mean?    that the amount of air fitting through is actually the height of the red part height I marked.

is a high rise intake with drop down air cleaner sort of self cancelling?   is it better to lose a little on the intake and have a full size aircleaner housing? 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Chryco Psycho

basically yes , you are correct as the base drops the top lid gets very close to the choke tower on the carb & will restrict air flow , this is why I like the Holley Street dom intake , it makes great power & sits low

41husk

does the holley sit low enough to acomadate an air grabber set up?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Chryco Psycho

good question , it does sit very low but may still be 1" higher than the stock intake

Chryco Psycho

I have 2 intakes here , the Weiand Action Plus part # 8009 which is close to stock height & I have the Street Dom the difference  i get between the 2 is 3/8" taller with the Street Dom so it should easily clear the Air Grabber hood 

BTW the Weiand intake is available if someone needs it

41husk

If the weiland will accomadate the air grabber set up I am interested.  What do you want for it?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

squeakfinder

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

dkn1997

I run a stock unsilenced 68 air cleaner with a 750 mighty demon and performer rpm on my 440 in my 68 charger.  I had to get a ford motorsports drop base 13" air cleaner to get it to go and it's still close.  it looks good, but probably does not run as good as it can.

probably the only drawback to owning a 2nd gen charger....no hood clearance..
RECHRGED