News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee#1 . . . back from the dead!

Started by Mike DC, November 13, 2006, 03:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Fan

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 14, 2006, 01:53:21 PM
it must have been Bronze day that day.  (or Brown for Charger_Fan and all you other poo poo's  ;D)

Oh sorry, I'm making a mental note to use "bronze" more in my vocabulary. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MoparManJim

Quote from: JMF on November 14, 2006, 08:44:01 AM
There would be a similar debate regarding the Bullitt Mustang, someone owns the car, it still has all the camera mounts, dings and dents from the film and apparenty is in pretty rough shape, not been driven for years, now would this be better left as is or restored?

well it all depends, if the car is not rusting but badly faded and is runnable just leave as, if the car is in bad shape and not drivable and the paint is bad on it, yea restore it to the way it was when they got it to use in the movie.

Mike DC

IMHO,

If LEE#1 had still been a mostly-complete car wearing its orange GL paint (and just wrecked from the jump and sitting for years), then I don't think there would have been such a strong argument for restoring it.  But to put it bluntly, it looked like a pile of crap.  To anyone who didn't know DOH extremely well it looked like a $150 hulk.  As the #71 car it was unrecognizeable as a GL and barely even roll-able. 

As I said before I wouldn't have elected to do the resto personally.  But I can totally see the logic for it and I have nothing bad to say about the finished product.  It looks great. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim:
I always expected you guys to take this very seriously, but the finished car still looks even better than I dared hope. 
(And the door numbers?  I know you guys didn't have jack squat to base those off of.  Man, I've seen a lot of other race car "recreations" in museums with old paint schemes that don't look nearly as much like the originals in the pictures on display next to them.)

JimShine

Ghoste

When the project was first started, I'd have to say I was of the opinion that it should have been left alone.  After seeing these pics, speaking as someone who isn't an ardent GL fan, I think my first opinion was wrong.  The car deserved the restoration it got, not to be left as a decaying mess.

JMF

Jim what are the long term plans for the car?

JimShine

It is going on tour. Probably next year. No dates known yet as everything kicked off on the 11th. I assume it will mainly be seen at larger car shows and some racing events. I will be sure to keep you guys here updated on what is going on. There are other things in planning stages now like a possible book, maybe a DVD of the restoration, but this is all just ideas. To be honest, we only focused on 11/11 as we had alot of work to do in a short period of time.

JMF

Has Wopat or Schneider seen it yet? The blonde one restores Charger's himself doesn't he? I always forget which one is Wopat and Schneider : )

Ghoste

Schneider.  For the most part, Wopat has tried to distance himself from the show if I understand correctly.

JMF

Ghoste

I don't know for sure.  One of the DOH fans should be able to tell us the real story but I think he was trying to pursue a more "serious" acting career on Broadway or something like that.

gnrl01

I think it is cool that the car was even recovered considering how lost it was in the hills of Georgia ;D  Everyone will have an opinion wether the car should or shouldn't have been restored. If you are or aren't particularly a Dukes of Hazzard fan you can't deny this car has some true nationwide nostalgia and I am glad it will be around for many more years for people to see, I have seen this car for when it was a wrecked hulk and it was neat to see it and examine what Warner Brothers did to the car, but it will be more fun for the owner now to actually be able to enjoy it and for even the average joe to realize it is a "General Lee" Alot of people who are not into the Dukes would not even remember the car the way it looked, now when people ask is that a real General, he can say yeah #01

DC_1

Chris G.

Quote from: gnrl01 on November 14, 2006, 06:49:25 PM
If you are or aren't particularly a Dukes of Hazzard fan you can't deny this car has some true nationwide nostalgia

I completely agree. The Dukes car will always be known as the most famous Mopar amongst the general public. The Bullitt car doesn't even stand a chance against it, nor does the F&F Charger. This "Lee 1" will do very nice at shows and whatever else is in it's plans (minus Carlisle and The Nats). Let's see how long the current owner holds on to it. I wonder if he's a die hard fan with big bucks that had to have it, or just another guy sensing profit.  :scratchchin:

6pkrunner

Quote from: Chris G. on November 14, 2006, 07:32:37 PM
Quote from: gnrl01 on November 14, 2006, 06:49:25 PM
If you are or aren't particularly a Dukes of Hazzard fan you can't deny this car has some true nationwide nostalgia
... just another guy sensing profit.  :scratchchin:

-time will tell Chris, time will tell. ;D  And I am a bit curious, can someone tell me what documentation exists to prove that this is indeed Lee Number 1? I'm not being a snot, just what is available to let everyone know that this is her? I'm sure the true diehards and those involved in the resto have no doubt, but for the huddled masses.

blackcharger

some actors don't like the idea of typcasting. Also, Wopat acts on Broadway, and probably wants to be know as a serious actor.
I saw Werner Klemper (Col. Klink on Hogan's Heroes) on a talk show. he was asked about the typecasting. he says the one that don't like it are fooling themselves. To create a roll, and be known for it worldwide is something that only comes to a very few.

The Lee 1 looks great. hope it makes next years Nats.

JimShine

I can see about bringing it to the nats. PM me some contact info.

The car is heavily documented. It was labeled a"Lee1" by WB on the dash (as they did even with the police cars) and every invoice the body shop wrote up concerning that car and its VIN referred to it as "Lee #1".

Mike DC

I get the feeling that Tom Wopat doesn't really have BAD feelings about DOH, but he's just 110% tired of it.  In interviews he'll say good/fond things about the old show, but he's also very quick to distance himself from it nowadays. 

He doesn't want to spend any more time as "Luke Duke" if he can help it.  He's glad to have fans but I don't think he cares if he never sees another orange Charger as long as he lives.  He participates in DOH "Reunion" shows and conventions, but only if it's a situation where the entire remaining cast is already doing it and he'd really look like a party-pooper if he didn't show. 

Wopat gets complains about having an attitude or being impatient.  But honestly, people have been saying that about him for decades and I don't that that is just because of his being tired of DOH right now.  He's never been known for being "easy to work with" even back in the day.  His bahavior stands in contrast to most of the other DOH cast members who are pretty nice & patient group, so that just makes it more noticeable & surprising for fans.

Ghoste

MoparManJim

Quote from: Ghoste on November 15, 2006, 05:06:09 PM
You can't fault him for that I guess.

well he probly doesn't get ask about Anney Get Your Gun stuff its probly 98% Dukes all the time, If someone maybe would ask about his other stuff that he did before and then after alittle while bring up the Dukes for afew minutes he probly wouldn't mind. How would you feel if you was in his shoes and get ask about the Dukes all the time? I won't say anything bad about the man has I haven't met him yet in person or any of the cast yet for that matter, would love to though. 

Hey Jim Shine, or Miked, how was the rear frame rails on Lee1 did any of that had to be repaired? I imange it probly was after setting that long. 

JimShine

There was about a foot of the rear rails repaired where it meets the rear crossmember. Other than that the rails were straightened. They still look wavy and there is impact damage visable, but the body guys got them pulled out so the car itself is straight. The thing that even I had a hard time believeing (but I saw it) was the car didn't rot out like one would expect. The place it sat for all those years was on a steep hill and the trees are thick, so the little water that ended up in the car drained off quick and dried.

69_500

Off topic I know, but that 500 has a very intersting story to it as well. Took the owner many, many many years to talk the origional owner out of that car. It is definately a car with stories.

Okay back to the DOH debate.
I hope Charger Aficianado see's this thread. He has 1 of the other 500 SE's with A/C. I've seen 4 so far, this being one.

itchyballs

what happened to the two original police#1 and police#2 cars they also found? are they being restored? since they have lee#1 it would be cool to see it with police#1 since it jumped it in the opening credits?...

JimShine

I agree, it would have been very cool. I watched the pair sell cheap once and kick myself for not buying them. Last I knew they were seperated and Police 2 sold not long ago for a little over $6K.

JMF

Jim any more pictures of restored Lee #1?