News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Please Help!! DRIVESHAFT 69 C500

Started by Carl1, November 11, 2006, 02:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl1

What is the correct driveshaft for a C500 Hemi 4spd with super track pac? With or without big weight on front. Thanks for any help. Carl ???

hemigeno

The drivetrain for a '69 500 does not differ from an R/T, so I suppose I can help out on this question.

My '69 Hemi 4-speed R/T has the big weight on the front end.  It was built in late January at the St. Louis plant, but I think it would still be the same for your earlier-built Hamtramck car.

FWIW, my 440 4-speed June-built Daytona came with the internally-weighted driveshaft.

I think it had something to do with when the car was built during the model year, moreso than the drivetrain.  One of the reference books I read said that the '69 RB-engine 4-speed cars always got the external weighted propshafts, but my Daytona did not have that.  IIRC the 440 and Hemi 4-speed driveshafts are the same length.

Geno

P.S.  I might move this thread over to General Q&A or Engine/Transmission/RearEnd after a bit, if no C500 owners chime in right away.  There are some mighty knowledgeable folks that frequently check those boards.

Carl1

Thanks Geno, All info is appreciated. Carl

69_500

I'm wondering what the correct answer to this question is. I would say I'd make a few calls, but how early or late in the production run did they make these changes your talking about Gene? Then it would be up to when CARLs car was built, and then I coud contact a person with a HEMI 500 with the same relative production date.

Lots of questions.

Welcome to the site CARL. I'm the site weirdo who is into 500's, if you couldn't tell by my name.

WINGMAN

My 440 automatic 500 has the big weight, build date was 9,20,68. My 440 automatic Daytona build date 6,6,69 did not have it.  :icon_smile_cool:  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

69_500

Carl is your car currently under construction in a Canada?

arrow

When your talking big weight , do you mean the harmonic balanced drivelines ?? I thought they dissappered in 67 OR 68 ? Im not being a wise guy , Ive been curious about this for quite awhile , Ive seen them on newer than 68 cars and thought someone swapped drive shafts with an earlier car .

Carl1

Yes 69_500 at Joey's in Edmonton.Components and assembly by Kori Alexander in Red Deer. Build date Sept 7/68.Seq. 925028. I don't think the weight is a balancer per se, it's more of a flywheel effect to possibly smooth out shifts,but I'm not knowing. Hopefully someone knows. Thanks, Carl

nascarxx29

I had a 68 road runner that had the counter balancer on the end as I recall.I did my friends ujoints in a 440 4 speed daytona .Dont believe it had that balancer
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

My 67 383 auto car had the big weight (before I bent the shaft) but I don't recall any of my other Mopars ever having it.  They were all 68 to 71 models.  I've also seen the big weight under a number of C-bodies if that means anything?

Just 6T9 CHGR

I always thought the weighted shaft was a pre '69 thing?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I dunno.  My 68 Road Runner didn't have it but as I said, my 67 Charger did.  I've seen it under a few C-bodies that were 69 and 70 models.

69_500

Carl I emailed 4 different owners of HEMI 500's to ask them about their driveshafts. Hopefully I'll hear something back from a few of them.

69_500

I have an update.

I talked to an origional owner of a HEMI Charger tonight. He also has a HEMI 500 that he has had since around 1972 or 73. He informed me that his 500 has the driveshaft with the weights on it. He then informed me that his later built HEMI car doesn't have the weights. The early 500 has a build date of B14, the Daytona has a much later build date. So being that yours is also a 500, I'd say go with the weighted driveshaft. I'm getting ready to call another HEMI 500 owner now, who has had his car since new to ask him. I'll keep you posted.

Carl1

Thanks for all the help, where else could I have gotten this info, you guys are great.

Now for my next quest.....to actually find one, any ideas???

Ghoste

If you can't find one, I still have my bent one.  Couldn't the weight be cut off and reused on a new shaft?  Of course, you won't have the correct part number on the shaft only the appearance.

69_500

Ah so now you need to find one? Hmmm, I will make a few calls on that as well. I know a gentleman who has a few spare parts for HEMI cars laying around. Odds are he has a driveshaft as well.

69_500

Hey Carl,

Update upon and update. I talked to 2 other origional owners of HEMI 500's last night. Here is the answer they both gave me. BOTH OF THEIR CARS HAD THE WEIGHTED DRIVESHAFT. I don't know of this means all of them did or not, but it makes 3 HEMI 500's that I've been told by owners that theirs had the weighted driveshaft from the factory. Those are the only 3 people I know of that have had their 500's since day one, that are HEMI cars that is.
Side note for you, one of those cars is within 3 digits of your VIN as well.

Carl1

Thanks for all your inquires on my behalf. I'm sure I will have a bunch more questions as it gets closer to assembly time.

So the consences is a weighted shaft. I'm quessing any B body with 4spd dana weighted driveshaft would fit the bill...So now the fun starts... any ideas where I can get one?? Thanks again for all the input.

I'll start with a want ad in the swap meet.

69_500

I asked all 3 of the ones I talked to, and 2 of them have extra's but aren't willing to part with them. Which is understandable, as they want an extra for a "just in case" situation.

I'll keep my eyes out though.

Carl1

Gee, I didn't think of that I should be looking for two. Thanks for trying.

Ghoste

Hmm, does this mean I should throw my bent one up on e-bay?  It'd be perfect for a trailer queen and I wouldn't want much more than 3 or 4 thousand dollars for it.  :icon_smile_big:

Carl1

I'm sure it would be better than most of the HEMI stuff you see there, and the more you want for it the better and rarer it is. I did see somewhere an ad for a company that restored driveshafts,if I can find them again I'll be looking to make a deal with you for your bent one. Maybe someone who has one will realize that if they would ever need a spare driveshaft,they will probably have bigger problems.

69_500

I'll agree with you on that point Carl.

Hey just curious, but didn't Troy just get a new Driveshaft for Dana about a year ago? Or am I wrong? Or maybe even this year in the spring.

arrow

Quote from: 69_500 on November 16, 2006, 05:18:03 PM
I asked all 3 of the ones I talked to, and 2 of them have extra's but aren't willing to part with them. Which is understandable, as they want an extra for a "just in case" situation.

I'll keep my eyes out though.

How much are they worth ???   Think Ive got 3 or so - I thought they were 67 drive shafts ?  shouldnt be that big deal to find -