News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need a little help please..

Started by Reidar, November 10, 2006, 08:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reidar

Hi guys!

Im building a 408 stroker from my 360 block. Im pouring new parts into this car, but i have a slight problem finding out witch camshaft i should choose.
Im going to use Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. Theese have Maximum Valve Lift (in): 0.575 in.
Does anyone have a suggestion about witch cam to use? Im going to use this car 95% dragracing. (201 meter) So im looking for big T..

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Reidar

firefighter3931

We need a little more info to make a proper recommendation....

-static compression ratio ?
-header size ?
-solid or hydraulic cam ?
-rear axle ratio ?
-tire diameter ?
-stall speed ?
-raceweight ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Reidar

Hi Ron!

-static compression ratio ?  = 10.3:1
-header size ?                  = Full Length Tube 1.75" O.D. x 34", Collector Size 3" O.D.
-solid or hydraulic cam ?     = Hydraulic (preferd)
-rear axle ratio ?               = 4.11
-tire diameter ?                = 28"
-stall speed ?                   = 3500
-raceweight ?                  = aprox. 3500 lbs

Reidar

Chryco Psycho

if you can afford to get the adjustable rockers I would highly recommend a solid cam grind
Lunati has a solid with a 3000-7000 rpm powerband with 255* at .050 - .568 lift  & 108* that would fit well

firefighter3931

Hi Reider,

While i agree with Chryco in that a solid cam is a better choice....a hydraulic can work pretty good too. If you want to stay hydraulic, the Comp high lift xe285hl grind would match up nicely with your proposed combo.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Reidar

Thank you both for your help! :)

I've tried to put the specs of both your suggestions into Engine Analyzer, and to my suprise the Comp cam gave me a lot more power than the Lunati cam.
Peak Tq 496 at 4500rpm and Peak HP 437 at 5000rpm

I know that this isnt 100% accurate, but it seems to be quite a good program.

We drive mostly 1/8 mile races over here. Im really looking forward to testing this car next summer!
With this engine, a 727 with reversed manuel valvehouse, and a 4,11 rear i guess its could be a contender in the street-class. 8.70 sec.
What do you think? Is that realistic?

Reidar

kamkuda

I have the Xtreme Hi-Lift XE275HL in my 408 stroker.  It is a really really streetable camshaft with loads of torque.  The 285 will be stronger.
My friend had a 408 with a solid roller and goes high ten's in the quarter.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Reidar on November 13, 2006, 05:26:14 AM

With this engine, a 727 with reversed manuel valvehouse, and a 4,11 rear i guess its could be a contender in the street-class. 8.70 sec.
What do you think? Is that realistic?

Reidar

Reider, that combo should have no problem running an 8.70 1/8th mile.  :yesnod:

Ron

Reidar

Thank you all for your excelent help!

Just one more thing..

Im going to buy this stroker crankshaft: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ESP%2D436040006123&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Is it already balanced, or does it need to be balanced after its in the engine?
Is it enough to use a damper like this: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ATI%2D918603E&FROM=MG or does the crankshaft need to be physicaly altered?

Reidar

firefighter3931

Reider, the Eagle crank you're looking at is designed for an "internal" balance. This means that the harmonic balancer will also need to be for an internally balanced engine. The ATI balancer is for an external balance and therefore incorrect.  ;)

Here is a balancer that will work fine for the stroker :

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DB64277&N=700+4294925232+4294839044+4294908110+4294871851+400304+4294871921+115&autoview=sku.

Ron

Challenger340

Reidar, you mention the heads as good for .575" lift, are you prepared to change valve springs/spring rate, and run a solid lifter camshaft ?

Albeit, still below .570" lift, just a different spring rate type solid cam ? or, are you strictly looking for a cam compatible with your existing Eddy springs ?

It may open more possibilities for camshaft selection, and the enhanced torque curve you're looking for. 500/500 should be attainable, or very close to it.

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !