News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Rocker Switches

Started by BlueSS454, November 07, 2006, 08:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

What do you guys do about pitted/peeling dash switches?  Mine look like crap and I know no one makes new ones.  I've found a couple nice washer buttons, bit that's about it.

Tom Rightler

Chatt69chgr

They can be replated.  You would have to disassemble the switch to remove the actuating rocker from the mechanism.  I think there is a drive pin that has to be driven out with a very small punch.  Inexpensive punch sets are available at Harbor Freight.  If you don't have an HF in your area, go to their online store.  I love Harbor Freight.  I think the place most are recommending to do the replating is CV Vacuum Platers.

whitehatspecial

I didn't have any luck with getting mine re-plated. According to the companies I contacted they weren't set up for plating those parts. I'm not sure why they can't.  :shruggy:
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

BlueSS454

There used to be a company called American Plastic Chrome.  They went defunct a couple years ago and I have not found anyone that can rechrome plastec as of yet.  I found a couple switch on ebay.  They looked nice, price was right on a couple of them.
Tom Rightler

Plumcrazy

I believe Performance car graphics does those.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Brock Samson

anyone ever replaced them with the aftermarket lighted style?..

BlueSS454

I was looking at one of my spare dashed tonight and noticed that the switches were alot nicer on it so I swapped them out  :yesnod:.  Now if I can find some better gauges to put in that aren't all discolored I'll be in business.
Tom Rightler

resq302

Tom,  you have a couple of options with your gauges.  There are companies that will re silk screen your faces of the gauges.  I think either Redline or Performance Car Graphics does them.  Performance Car Graphics also sells a kit that is called overlays.  It is basically a decal that goes on top of the old lettering only it rejuvenates the face of the gauge.  That is what I used on my charger and it is very hard to tell the differencle unless you get up really close and look.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

smokinrt

Quote from: BlueSS454 on November 07, 2006, 08:29:22 PM
What do you guys do about pitted/peeling dash switches?  Mine look like crap and I know no one makes new ones.  I've found a couple nice washer buttons, bit that's about it.

I don't have an answer for you but if you know where I can find a washer switch for my 69 charger I would be thankful, button is fine but switch isn't working.
Thanks, Bryan
Please email bryanjs@sbcglobal.net