News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hidaways

Started by Icelandcharger, November 07, 2006, 07:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icelandcharger

i want a hidden headlights who fits 1973 charger if someone know who is selling or making hidaways please let my know

NHCharger

Not reproduced. Check parts for sale here on on moparts. Check ebay.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

74secharger

i have a set with 2 motors you will need to get a 1972 chrome outer bumper

High Impact

Hey-  I need a motor.  How much! :popcrn:

74secharger

I used 1971 and 1972 hidden lights on my 1974 SE you have to use  the 1972 chrome bumper and brackets i had the grills powered coated black. and the outer trinm of the grill chrome plated. DO NOT POWDER COAT THE OUTER TRIM THE POT METAL WILL MELT IN THE OVEN. iT HAPPENEDTO ME ONCE AFTER I HAD THE CROME WORK DONE. $$$$$$$$$ GONE. anyway after one set trashed the new set fittted perfect for me and looked really cool I have a set  without the bumers or brackets for sale with two motors 250.00

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 74secharger on November 29, 2007, 07:27:09 PM
i have a set with 2 motors you will need to get a 1972 chrome outer bumper

false... you need 71/72 hideaways setup, same as if you have a regular non hidden 71/72 grille, but you can keep the 73/74 bumper in fact.

very diff stuff is if you WANT a 71/72 bumper with the arrow in the middle, where is that's the case, you will need anyway to keep the 73/74 frame rail brackets, enlarging the holes to sit closer to body and save the gap left by bumper fillers because you won't be able to fit bumper fillers on 71/72 bumpers

also will need the beams buckets or course ( talking about a non bumper related part )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger1973

:iagree:  You dont need the 72 bumper, I kept my 73 bumper because I didnt want the arrow in the middle. 

74secharger

rite you are! And tell him what he wins BOB. A carburator wing nut off of a 1972 ford Maverick LOL

mikesbbody

i dont want to go off topis here but matt, nacho, you guy's teach me something new about these third gens everyday  :2thumbs: you know what? i never even noticed after all these years that there was no arrow on the 73 bumper...i feel kinda stupid now  :yesnod: im guessing its not on the 74 bumper iether? i like the look without the arrow too  :2thumbs:

Bandit72

i never noticed either, but i kinda like it there...they look funny without it  :icon_smile_tongue:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

BMOTOXSTAR

So you can use a 71/72 hides on a 73/74 without the buckets, or use the hide in 74-74 bumper without the buckets? :shruggy: :scratchchin:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger1973

Quote from: mikesbbody on January 16, 2008, 02:44:17 AM
i dont want to go off topis here but matt, nacho, you guy's teach me something new about these third gens everyday  :2thumbs: you know what? i never even noticed after all these years that there was no arrow on the 73 bumper...i feel kinda stupid now  :yesnod: im guessing its not on the 74 bumper iether? i like the look without the arrow too  :2thumbs:

Youre right, they got rid of it after 72.  I actually tried to use the 72 bumper on my car.  The original plan was to keep that bumper because I do like the arrow there.  For some reason I just didnt like the way it looked on my car though.  I guess its just one of those things that needs to be on a certain year of car to look right.   :shruggy:

Charger1973

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on January 16, 2008, 07:45:44 AM
So you can use a 71/72 hides on a 73/74 without the buckets, or use the hide in 74-74 bumper without the buckets? :shruggy: :scratchchin:

My car doesnt have the hideaway headlight buckets, yet.  I still plan to get them, I just havent gotten around to tracking a set down.  The doors are very close to the headlights though, they clear, but not by much.  I suppose if my bumper was adjusted properly they might not open/close at all, its hard to say. 

Nacho-RT74

Since I never have seen personally the hideaways I can't say anything about if 71/72 hideaways buckest are NOTICEABLE DIFF from non hideaway buckets. The fact is 71/74 headlight buckets or pedestals are the same, being diff just the 71/72 hideaways cars equipped. maybe just shorter to get clearence ? probably. If that's the case and being 73/74 has larger bumper because the fillers, maybe you won't need for those. Twilt will be more clear about that info.

If you remove bumper fillers and get closer the bumper to body, maybe you can "play" with the clearance get it closer to body but not that much, just enought to get the clearance to beams doors.

About the other differences. The braces between fender and bumper on top of fender, inside hood area. 71/72s are directly bolted to bumper, they are eyelet end to fit on 71/72 bumper and bolt directly to an inner reinforcement section welded on bumper. For a while 73/74 braces use a fastener to then bolt the bumper throught a "tab" with hole to pass throught and fit. So if you use the 71/72 bumper, need also those 71/72 top braces, and same to 73/74.

About arrow... Dunno why but I preffer the cleaner view of 73/74 bumper, however nothing wrong with 71/72s. Is not a big deal for me at least. Maybe is just because I'm used to see my car without it  :shruggy:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Moparbob

Just found this thread. Anyone know about the wiring for a retro hideaway?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

plum500

I believe you need a different headlight relay to activate the motor. I also picked up a generic connector strip at Carquest so I can cut it and splice the wires to it without touching the original motor wire. (wasn't going to hunt down anything factory for between those points) So, I plan on cutting off the dangling Carquest end and splicing the wires from the relay to it.

All this is unfinished though, so someone please let me know if I'm missing a piece of the puzzle :)

Moparbob

I assume the motors are bi directional meaning they power up (open) and power down (close) This would require solenoids indeed.
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.