News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 re-Build...

Started by Brock Samson, December 27, 2006, 05:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

I don't really have the budget,..
  but was wondering what might be a good "modern" rebuild for a 340...
by modern i mean whatever has been learned and brought to the after market in the past 35 years...
I would appreciate the input.
    cheap is good...
Specifically for a good all around torque curve with a stock cam 323 gears. all suggestions are welcome...
though i dream of six-packs... sigh...  :-\   lol    & I  just had the stock thermobog rebuilt.

Challenger340

Are you rebuilding complete with boring & honing, crank grinding, new Pistons, etc., or just looking to re-ring ?

For cheap, I'm thinking the addition of some 308 casting, 360 heads would be good. A Good stock re-winde with those, is a vast improvement with some of the updated stocker Cam profiles available.

Are you putting a budget together ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Brock Samson

it's all about the paint brakes wheels tires interior and exhaust just now...
someday though,.. just needs a freshining,.. that's all,.. lol...
thanks..

firefighter3931

Dave, when it comes time to rebuild the 340.....think about stroking it with a 4in crank.  ;) A heavy b-body with a short stroke smallblock and 3.23 gears isn't the best combination. The added stroke will make a huge difference in low speed torque and throttle response.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brock Samson

tti wants 600 for the stupid pipes!  :-\

whitehatspecial

Brock

I have a 340 in my '68 to replace the orig. 318. Flat top pistons, J-heads with 2.02 valves and a 3 angle valve job, Comp cam (I'll get back to you with the numbers, but it's a step up from a purple cam), Mopar adjustable rocker assemblies, Edelbrock RPM Performer, BG Speed Demon 650. The motor runs very good on pump gas and dynoed out at 270 at the rear wheels. A nice driver motor.
I found an old set of Doug Thorley headers on ebay and had them ceramic coated locally (total cost 325.00) and had a dual 2 1/2" exhaust with Magnaflows put on at a local exhaust shop.

Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

THE CHARGER PUNK

Quote from: Brock Samson on January 03, 2007, 01:09:37 PM
tti wants 600 for the stupid pipes!  :-\

forget exhaust just slap in headers to mufflers to turndowns and give your 340 a rattle can rebuild and your set for a street machine with some mean :icon_smile_big: