News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

overhaulin challanger

Started by autodynamics, November 05, 2006, 08:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autodynamics

TruckDriver

I am sorry, I dont like it.  Loose the wheels, put the outside mirrors back on it, and a different paint job. :rotz:

But, if he is happy, then it's all good for him.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

dkn1997

goody's doing something right.  on tv and a mag article about his car in the young guns section of mopar muscle, and still a teenager.  not bad at all.
RECHRGED

bull

Why is it that every friggin' car that comes out of that place has to be two-tone? So it seems anyway.

41husk

He musta won some kinda award for that paint scheem and now thats all he shoots?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BrianShaughnessy

It's OK.    I don't really want any Foose'd up car myself.     The only part I don't really care for is the HEMI on the rear quarter. 

But here's my. :Twocents:      It's gonna cost them thousands of dollars (probably like $30K) for income taxes on the value of parts and services applied to the car.    For that much,   he could have sent the car out and had it painted like they wanted and had a good start on the rebuild... probably had it done.    Maybe it's just the Imagonna syndrome again...   as in Imagonna get it painted and fix it up... someday.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

autodynamics

i like the whole overhaulin theme although i dont like the two tone cars as much. the jobs seem to be done right and has helped out hobby by making our cars more valuable and making manufactures pay attention to reproducing items that are discontinued. the whole idea behind the show is nice even though your not going to please all the viewers with the final product. the cars have modern technology now in them which is great. there are alot of you guys on this board who dont like the "new" parts in these cars, but i suggest you get used to it cause resto mods are here to stay. old cars are nice but older new cars are nicer... by the way any of you guys still use a rotary phone?

ramit

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 06, 2006, 08:04:25 AM
It's OK. I don't really want any Foose'd up car myself. The only part I don't really care for is the HEMI on the rear quarter.

But here's my. :Twocents: It's gonna cost them thousands of dollars (probably like $30K) for income taxes on the value of parts and services applied to the car. For that much, he could have sent the car out and had it painted like they wanted and had a good start on the rebuild... probably had it done. Maybe it's just the Imagonna syndrome again... as in Imagonna get it painted and fix it up... someday.

I have a hard time believing that these people that are "overhauled"  have to fork over that kind of money.  I think most of these people don't have that kind of money, because if they did they would probably have finished their cars without being on T.V.

Chris G.

I never liked the look of the 72-74 Challengers to begin with. I'm not sure what all the hype is about either, it's a black and orange car with big wheels...big deal?

I'm happy for Goody, but I'm sure deep down, even he thinks that white or silver stripe on the roof is hideous. First thing I would do when the car gets home is get that off quickly.

I think most people would like the Foose upgrades to the engine, suspension, etc. It's the paint jobs that most people don't want.  :Twocents:

B5 Charger

Quote from: bull on November 06, 2006, 01:49:21 AM
Why is it that every friggin' car that comes out of that place has to be two-tone? So it seems anyway.

I agree two-tone paint is on every one of those cars Foose does.  Big wheels and two-tone paint that's the biggest problem with those cars.  The only one he ever did that I really liked was the old Bronco which he put back really close to stock.  I thought it looked awesome.  I must be getting old.   :P

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: ramit on November 06, 2006, 10:00:57 AM
It's OK. I don't really want any Foose'd up car myself. The only part I don't really care for is the HEMI on the rear quarter.

But here's my. :Twocents: It's gonna cost them thousands of dollars (probably like $30K) for income taxes on the value of parts and services applied to the car. For that much, he could have sent the car out and had it painted like they wanted and had a good start on the rebuild... probably had it done. Maybe it's just the Imagonna syndrome again... as in Imagonna get it painted and fix it up... someday.

I have a hard time believing that these people that are "overhauled"  have to fork over that kind of money.  I think most of these people don't have that kind of money, because if they did they would probably have finished their cars without being on T.V.

http://overhaulin.com/overhaulme.asp   go to this page and read it.

Notice this line:  Improvements to the car generate tax obligations for the owner of the car.

and then

QuoteDisclaimer: Applicant agrees to pay all federal, state, and local taxes, including income, use or sales taxes or any other governmental charges imposed on prizes, including the value of any goods or services received and cash gifts, if any, given to you or received by you by reason of your participation in the program and you release and indemnify producer from any liability therefore. You also authorize producer to deduct or withhold any such taxes or charges that require a payment prior to delivery of said prizes, cash or gifts.
[/b]
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

6pkrunner

I am not a real fan of the cars Chip produces for the show. Less than 5% are my cup of tea. But the roof stripe and 392 callouts on this Chally are not indicitve of someone who has been professionally trained as a graphic artist and car designer. My intentions are not to cut the car, its just noty a real harmonious design. Clunky -  as done by all of us when we were in Grade 7 or so.

bull

Quote from: ramit on November 06, 2006, 10:00:57 AM

Oh yea. That car will be assigned a value by some accountant/appraiser and then the owner will have to fork over a large percentage of that value in taxes. Actually, the car itself would not be taxed but the cost of the restoration would, and like Brian said it could end up being more than the guy would have paid had he farmed the work out to a normal resto business. If I had gotten my Charger back looking anything like this Challenger I would have been royaly pissed off because now it's all customized (not what I want) and I'd still have to pay probably 30% more than I would have had to pay at a shop where I can dictate what the car should look like when finished.

Any time you win a contest, win money on a game show, win the lottery, win a drawing, etc., etc., you are going to pay taxes on that "income" no matter what it costs. And the tax rate is usually higher than it is on regular income. I recently entered a contest to win a Kawasaki Mule and I figured I'd probably have to pay $3k-$4k in taxes if I won it, which probably would have meant I would have had to sell it to pay the taxes and then buy a used one with the money left over. Actually, it probably would have went into my Charger. :yesnod:

Usually the only thing entering a contest gets you is having your name and address put on a junk mail list.

ramit

I can understand that they have to pay taxes on it but 30k seems pretty steep to me.  I must be a big cheap ass because I could see paying 10-15k but not 30k.

bull

Quote from: ramit on November 06, 2006, 02:42:43 PM
I can understand that they have to pay taxes on it but 30k seems pretty steep to me.  I must be a big cheap ass because I could see paying 10-15k but not 30k.

That might be the case but I imagine Foose is charging a pretty penny for his services. If Brian is figuring $100k for the restoration work with parts and labor (which is not impossible) the taxes could easily be $30k and more. I hear you though. I wouldn't want to pay $30k for what Foose does to classic cars. IMO his cars all need new wheels and paint by the time he's done with them, not to mention getting the interior back to stock if that's even possible.

bill440rt

It seems the big rant here is that most people don't like them because they are customized & not stock. Well, Foose doesn't do stock. He clearly states that on nearly every episode. Like Boyd, Strope, etc, Foose is a customizer. If you wanted stock, you wouldn't have your car on Overhaulin', anyway. Even the Bronco, the only vehicle close to stock he did, is a custom when you look closely. The 2-tone is his signature style. Like it or hate it, that's they way he likes things. His show, his work, his style.

Some cars he's done I really liked, others not so much. You aren't gonna like every single car out there, stock or custom no matter what it is. This guy doesn't like that, he doesn't like this, she doesn't like the other thing, etc.

For people that are building a modern custom car, they would probably love to have their car "Foosed." Others would strangle him. I'd give him my rolling Charger shell in a minute, but I'd strangle him if he built my car without a vinyl top. Oh, he hates vinyl tops, so there goes that idea.

And, to build that kind of car to only pay $30K in taxes is a bargain considering the amount of work & parts that go into these things.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TruckDriver

Quote from: B5 Charger on November 06, 2006, 11:47:48 AM
The only one he ever did that I really liked was the old Bronco which he put back really close to stock.  I thought it looked awesome.  I must be getting old.   :P

I liked the first Chevy pickup he did for the kid who was going to be a firefighter. The black one with the realistic flames that Robbie Gorden helped on. I liked the Bronco too as well as the ElCamino, the Corvette his Dad helped on (same one they did the VW Thing) and the Shelby looking Mustang. But again, they were mostly stock in apperance with cool good paint jobs.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

sixpack70

Normally I hate foose's stuff, but I like the way the paint looks minus the white on the roof. The wheels would look better at a couple sizes smaller as the staple foose 20" wheels look out of place. The hemi on the side needs to go as it breaks up the clean look of the car. Other than that its kind of neat. I bet taxes are close to 50% for these cars as its probably considered capital gains tax. That would hurt.
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

Shakey

Car looks pretty cool.  Lucky guy!

bull

autodynamics

lets start a poll..................

Shakey

Quote from: bull on November 06, 2006, 08:31:44 PM
Quote from: Shakey on November 06, 2006, 07:17:33 PM
Car looks pretty cool.  Lucky guy!