News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many people drive there Chargers in the winter?

Started by 41husk, November 01, 2006, 02:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

How many of you live in a climate that lets you drive your car year round? I remember being stationed in Georgia and having several nice days every month, I even recall bbqing in shorts on Christmas day one year. 
How many of you drive your Charger year round despite the weather?  My Challenger convert was a daily driver back in the mid 80s and even when I wasn't driving it, I didnt own a garage so it sat out in the weather.
How many of you store your Charger in the fall and don't brieng her out of hibernation until the spring?  That is the way my Charger is now and why I am doing a 73, that I can take out any time the sun lets me.  Here in Illinois we have all four seasons, so it's sometimes 4 or 5 months I go without driving my charger.  I start it once a month for 25 or 30 minutes.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69charger2002

i'm lucky enough to drive mine in the winter... truth be told. it's probably better(more enjoyable) to drive in the winter than mid summer. as with most chargers obviously not having working A/C anymore, it's almost more unbearable here in louisiana when it's 95 and  heat index 110,than in dead winter when it's 55 outside. i actually look forward to october november i get to drive my chargers more. how opposite is that? i guess i shouldn't complain about the heat. snow looks WAY worse!
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

TylerCharger69

Crazy440

Living in northern Michigan, I take whatever days I can get, in the Winter.  If the roads are clean and dry, I take her out for a chug.  Same with my Pig.  She gets a workout, too.  The hardest part is getting the two beasts started, when It's 20 degrees outside.  More the Harley, than the Charger, Pigs, just don't cotton to the cold.
Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

rickhemi

Quote from: Crazy440 on November 01, 2006, 04:43:20 PM
Living in northern Michigan, I take whatever days I can get, in the Winter.  If the roads are clean and dry, I take her out for a chug.  Same with my Pig.  She gets a workout, too.  The hardest part is getting the two beasts started, when It's 20 degrees outside.  More the Harley, than the Charger, Pigs, just don't cotton to the cold.
Crazy
YEAR ROUND HERE IN MIAMI!!! BUT WINTER IS THE BEST.
RICK
Rick<br />charger 69RT HEMI

Manfred318

I actually prefer to drive mine in the fall/winter months. Its usually just to damn hot in the summer. Most of the time we dont get that much snow or ice around here so the roads are free of salt for the most part.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

MichaelRW

Since I live in California, it's year round driving. Although I have never driven the Charger in the rain and never will.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

chargerjy9

my 73 has not seen even one winter in it's entire existance, I doubt it ever will
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

charge-it

Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

triple_green

I drive it in the winter when it's dry. I like the comment about two seasons. Ours is July/August and drearysville (winter).

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Dave22443

I drive mine as often as I can.  Fall and spring are my heaviest driving times.  Summer I drive a fair amount too.  I still drive in the winter, but January and February are pretty much hybernation time.  Mainly because thats the only time we get snow.

I also don't drive in the rain, but I'm not going to cry if I get caught out in some.  I would rather risk driving it on a 50% chance of rain than miss a 50% chance of having a great time  :icon_smile_big:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Dans 68

The weather here is not too tough on the Charger so it is driven year round.  See the related thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,2519.0.html

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Zentelis

I'd drive it year-round even though I'm in the north-east.
Obviously it will only see dry roads..no snow, rain, etc.
A Charger will get looks wether it's 85 or 25 degrees :D

hemi-hampton

Mines allready stored for the Winter. Rarely gets driven, even in the summer. Never seen a raindrop or snow flake. LEON.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: 69charger2002 on November 01, 2006, 04:16:53 PM
i'm lucky enough to drive mine in the winter... truth be told. it's probably better(more enjoyable) to drive in the winter than mid summer. as with most chargers obviously not having working A/C anymore, it's almost more unbearable here in louisiana when it's 95 and  heat index 110,than in dead winter when it's 55 outside. i actually look forward to october november i get to drive my chargers more. how opposite is that? i guess i shouldn't complain about the heat. snow looks WAY worse!
trav

:yesnod:

Same here in SE Texas.

I put up with summer driving waiting for Fall/Winter driving.  :icon_smile_big:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

greenrt_se

Danny Gutierrez

Quote from: 69charger2002 on November 01, 2006, 04:16:53 PM
trav

Amen Travis!!!  I'm glad the weather has finally cooled down enough to enjoy cruising. 
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Crazy440 on November 01, 2006, 04:43:20 PM
Crazy

I have a Yamaha Roadstar and it starts no matter what the temp is ! Same for my Honda CRF450 dirt bike ! Ha! Never drive the Charger in winter around here, to much salt on the roads.
BMOTOXSTAR :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Brock Samson

i drove the runner last night in a light rain up to 70 mph on 101 south,.. i wouldn't really need or wanna go much faster than that...
i wouldn't take the charger out if there's any mosture...

So meanwhile, the 300 M is like a slot car in the wet, but, I hate driving to Reno or some such location and getting that "snow-mud" under the car, takes at least three or four cleanings to get that oily grit off...

THE COLONEL

I just put The Colonel away today in the Brady's Bend Underground Storage, here in PA.  They are old Limestone caves that they have turned into climate controlled rooms.  They are really nice.  It sucks I can't look into my garage and see it sitting there, but I don't fell like pushing snow off my daily driver every day.  I also won't have my wife park her van outside either.  This works for now, but still sucks!
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Nacho-RT74

what is WINTER ? :D :D :D :D :D

Pics are, Los Roques Islands from Venezuela and Norelis Rodriguez, my fav Model and TV Hostes ( latin american E! Television ) on "Wild on" show. Is the same Beautyfull in person inside and outside. Trust me that she lights on any place when she is... is my own experience.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

WheresMyCharger

I live just outside of Buffalo NY so I've seen my share of snow. One of my 69 Chargers got me home in the infamous Blizzard of '77.
A few years later I bought another '69  just to drive in the winter so the '69 4 speed and my 70 Challenger ragtop could be stored in the winter. I drove the winter one for years until the leaf springs came into the trunk!
Have you seen my old '69 Charger??
       *XP29H9B324356*

myk

69chargeryeehaa

i bought my car in september, and it was ready to hit the streets in october, i live near toronto, canada, having just got the car of my dreams i could'nt stand to not drive it!!! :o  bacsically i logged 12000mi durring the winter, it was a mild one last year.  as long as the streets were dry i'd drive it. Even when the streets were dry and white from the salt i drove the car, i don't wash my car (with hose and soap); i use a shammy and a warm bucket of water, and whipe the car down, so the car does'nt see any water.  I think the worst thing you can do, regardless of where you live is wash a car and put it in the garage, it stays wet for days.  Since there is no air flow the car stays wet, like when you wash it and put it in the garage, get in about 3 days later and roll down the window and it's still wet.  I undercoated my car with that fully rubberized undercoating, and it still looks like the day i painted it.  In the spring i'd just hose off the undercarrage and that's it, absoultly no harm done. :icon_smile_big:  plus these BB really like the cold air!!! :yesnod: :angel: :devil:

Magnumcharger

I drive my '68 Charger R/T all year 'round.
The Dana with a sure-grip and big 'ol studded tires does a really nice job of getting me through the drifts.
And as my car was optioned with the rear window defroster and block heater, it was purpose-built for our sub-arctic climate.
I find putting a couple of sandbags, a shovel, a set of booster cables and a big bag of salt in the trunk actually helps with traction on the slippery roads!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TK73

I did until the blower motor went out... haven't felt like fixin it...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

41husk

Quote from: Magnumcharger on November 02, 2006, 08:01:14 PM
The Dana with a sure-grip and big 'ol studded tires does a really nice job of getting me through the drifts.
And as my car was optioned with the rear window defroster and block heater, it was purpose-built for our sub-arctic climate.
I find putting a couple of sandbags, a shovel, a set of booster cables and a big bag of salt in the trunk actually helps with traction on the slippery roads!
I think I would go with a big bag of sand or gravel, I keep to keep salt as far away from my car as I can :o
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: 41husk on November 03, 2006, 08:08:03 AM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on November 02, 2006, 08:01:14 PM
I think I would go with a big bag of sand or gravel, I keep to keep salt as far away from my car as I can :o

Had a buddy who parked his '66 396 SS 4-speed Chevelle with a bag of salt in the trunk for several years.  It was an UGLY sight.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

6670charger

I'm from NE WI, so I normally have to park mine for the winter.  However, I'm living in GA this winter due to an Active Duty tour, and I brought my Charger with me.  I'm driving her all year round this year. :boogie: :boogie:
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

BlueSS454

Can't drive the Charger in the winter since it's not done yet, but I will from time to time take one of my Chevelles out in the winter.  I used my 70 SS to go to work for a week in January when my daily driver went down for a few days....yes on the cold, salty roads of NJ.  I even took my 70 SS to the Washington, DC World of Wheels in January in the snow/rain, that was no fun.
Tom Rightler

gnrl01

Iowa here...nope General is sleeping shhhhhhh.... :pity:

ChargerRob

I drive my Charger all year round. You just gotta love So Cal.  :METAL:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

sunroofsuperbird

Oh Yea I love driving mine in the winter. Let it snow Let it snow Let it snow. The more snow the better. we only get maybe 2 good snow a year here and I am usually at work and miss the best part. maybe this year will be different. if So I will make sure to get some better pics.
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
71 Challenger R/T stationwagon
70 Sunroof superbird clone
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
71 Challenger conv pace car
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
78 Aspen Super Coupe Sedan Delivery
80 Aspen Load Runner wagon
67 Fury 6 door limo wagon
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

PocketThunder

Quote from: sunroofsuperbird on November 06, 2006, 08:33:50 PM
Oh Yea I love driving mine in the winter. Let it snow Let it snow Let it snow. The more snow the better. we only get maybe 2 good snow a year here and I am usually at work and miss the best part. maybe this year will be different. if So I will make sure to get some better pics.

Holy Crap!!! :o

I havent winterized my 68 just yet.  but snow fall is just around the corner, then its stopping time.  My 69 is still in hibernation though from 3 years ago already. :'(  (someday ol buddy......someday)
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."