News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 advice

Started by Brian in GA, November 03, 2006, 12:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian in GA

Hey guys, I need your professional input.  I have run across (actually online) a 67 440 down the road from me.  The casting date on the block says 4.17.67, and the numbers are 2536430-8.

My situation is this--I bought a 68 r/t body with no engine.  I know this the incorrect year, but would that really matter too much if I'm not going to make it a show car?  The transmission is also missing as well.  At any rate, what should I be prepared to give?  Supposedly it was rebuilt and has been stored for a while since that time, never being run after the resto.  I just don't know what kind of money to expect to shell out.

Any help on a fair $ is appreciated.
Thanks,  Brian

darkside

I saw the 440 your talking about  on ebay.if it was me I would't give over $500 for it and i would go threw it before i put it in the car.

Chryco Psycho

basically the wrong engine is the wrong engine & will not make a lot of difference to the overall value of the car, that engine could virtually work for a 68 , most were used around 4 months after casting so it could be a "correct" for early 68 block   
most 68s had the order # stamped into the block at the top of the belhousing area 

SeattleCharger

How much was it going for on ebay?   The estimate I got for a rebuild is about 2500 at cheapest, balanced,  3000 with forged pistons, engle cam, maybe couple other small upgrades,

does he have receipts?   any upgrades from stock?  forged pistons?   cam?   was it balanced?   prob. some or many hundred dollars less than his receipt shows since it has sat a while, maybe sitting a while is a problem, maybe not, I don't know,

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Brian in GA

Thanks, guys.  I'm going to have to let it go unless it's a good bit under $500, which I doubt will happen on ebay.  The guy doesn't know any of the history on it, and it's about a 5 hour one way drive for me.  Sometimes you gotta keep beating the bushes.  Thanks again.

SeattleCharger

If its newly rebuilt, a runner, seems like it should be worth a lot more than that.   A rebuildable core is under 500,  ???

dads_69

I would have bought it if it was near me. I just bought a '67 440 myself. Dated 3-14-67. Heads are at the shop now being rebuilt with Isky parts all brand new. Cost for rebuild is $1025.00. Block is still at home, but its getting a massage as well. Should be awesome when done, you can always recheck a motor even if a guy says its in good cond. for that kind of cash I would have.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: dads_69 on November 06, 2006, 07:55:07 PM
I would have bought it if it was near me. I just bought a '67 440 myself. Dated 3-14-67. Heads are at the shop now being rebuilt with Isky parts all brand new. Cost for rebuild is $1025.00. Block is still at home, but its getting a massage as well. Should be awesome when done, you can always recheck a motor even if a guy says its in good cond. for that kind of cash I would have.
Mark

cool, I need to learn about heads,   are they stock heads?  or aluminum?   how much does it cost about?   I was wonderding if I should spend a little to get some headwork done, or get my engine rebuilt to have the internals sort of ready for switching to aluminum heads at a later time, 

dads_69

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on November 06, 2006, 08:33:00 PM
Quote from: dads_69 on November 06, 2006, 07:55:07 PM
Mark

cool, I need to learn about heads,   are they stock heads?  or aluminum?   how much does it cost about?   I was wonderding if I should spend a little to get some headwork done, or get my engine rebuilt to have the internals sort of ready for switching to aluminum heads at a later time, 
Heads are factory 915. I am having all new valves installed as well as double springs from Isky. Hardened valve seats also. Three angle valve job and they have been cleaned and checked for cracks also. Thats about the average price to get the stock heads done up. Springs are good for a 600. lift cam. With 0.19 of a cam clearance. They allow up to 60. before you run into problems w/your valves. Motor should run hard when done. Cam is a Voo-Doo 513. Hydro. Six pak piston set up. 10- 6 to 1. I don't wanna high jack the guys thread here. PM me for more details.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.