News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone restored there headlight support frame?

Started by mopar4don, December 16, 2014, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

Has anyone restored there headlight support frame?
I am looking for some pictures of the restoration.

jaak

Mine was in pretty good shape, I hit with some primer and sanded it to fill in minor pits, the painted it with Single Stage Satin Black Urethane. I didn't detail the headlamp buckets or anything, I think they are galvanized maybe :shruggy:, but I just shot them black while I was painted the frame. This is the only pic I found, I think I got more on my external hard drive.

Jason

fy469rtse

i have don , done several,
best advice  i can give you is to sand blast it , also what i do to mine to help suport grill and take the stress off the plastic ,
every where there are spot welds , i mig weld stratiegally where you wont notice  weld
if you dont believe me shake yours one handed in the air , then re do the spot welds , then wave it around ,again , this thing is supposed to suport the grill , it cant suport it self,
god help you if anyone leans on it as a restored car  :brickwall: 

mopar4don

Quote from: jaak on December 16, 2014, 10:08:54 PM
Mine was in pretty good shape, I hit with some primer and sanded it to fill in minor pits, the painted it with Single Stage Satin Black Urethane. I didn't detail the headlamp buckets or anything, I think they are galvanized maybe :shruggy:, but I just shot them black while I was painted the frame. This is the only pic I found, I think I got more on my external hard drive.

Jason

Thanks for the pic Jason. Mine is bad enough, where I have taken it apart drilled out the spot welds.
I noticed the headlight saucers looked to be galvanized. Not sure how to restore those!

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 17, 2014, 12:29:26 AM
best advice  i can give you is to sand blast it , also what i do to mine to help suport grill and take the stress off the plastic ,
every where there are spot welds , i mig weld stratiegally where you wont notice  weld
if you dont believe me shake yours one handed in the air , then re do the spot welds , then wave it around ,again , this thing is supposed to suport the grill , it cant suport it self,

Thanks fy469rtse,
My frame must have taken a few shots over the years as it had a few bends and bows here and there. It had been repaired before as I found a few spots were it had been brazed back together. So it was an easy decision to drill out the spot welds and fix it. This thing is defiantly flimsy! Any ideas on how to beef it up?
Also does anyone make the headlight bucket supports? (Not the galvanized dishes) One of the tabs is twisted and both studs are broke!

six-tee-nine

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 17, 2014, 12:29:26 AM

Thanks for the tip.

I moved mine around in the shop a few times and it does feel like a flimsy/wavy part.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

fy469rtse

I put full welds to tabs , mig to areas not seen along where there's spot welds ,
All the ones I've done , the spot welds not enough on there own
Only welds I can see on my current car , and I know that I've done them , is to centre brace tabs
You have to do everywhere there a spot weld or tab

mopar4don

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 24, 2014, 09:41:41 AM
I put full welds to tabs , mig to areas not seen along where there's spot welds ,
All the ones I've done , the spot welds not enough on there own
Only welds I can see on my current car , and I know that I've done them , is to centre brace tabs
You have to do everywhere there a spot weld or tab

So you did not add more bracing. You just added more plug welds right?