News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you think this auction is a scam?

Started by twilt, October 28, 2006, 04:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I don't think so. The pictures are confusing but the guy isn't asking for a deposit. He does ask for the full payment with a cashier's check, PayPal or cash within 7 days of the auction's end which does not lend itself to scamming. The buyer could easily show up on the guy's doorstep with the cash and see the car before paying. There's no requirement that you send money right away.

He probably bought the thing in California last summer and is flipping it already, using the pictures taken then.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ScottW

That car was on ebay just a couple of weeks ago. It was listed more than once, was from Florida and had a final bid of $25K. I remember seeing it posted on moparts by another guy a few months before the auction below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R-T-RALLYE-440-MAGNUM-4SPEED-DANA-60-REAL-DEAL_W0QQitemZ320036618804QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6199QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My vote is that it is a scam.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

Zentelis

I've always believed that if you have to ask if it's a scam, it is..
Or, at least, it's not worth taking the risk. Especially when dealing with that much money.

41husk

If you don't feel confortsble. dont make the dea;!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dkn1997

if that's not a scam, I don't know what is.  11 grand for a clean charger with a 440 4speed/dana?
RECHRGED

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: ScottW on October 28, 2006, 10:36:58 PM
That car was on ebay just a couple of weeks ago. It was listed more than once, was from Florida and had a final bid of $25K. I remember seeing it posted on moparts by another guy a few months before the auction below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R-T-RALLYE-440-MAGNUM-4SPEED-DANA-60-REAL-DEAL_W0QQitemZ320036618804QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6199QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My vote is that it is a scam.

:iagree:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Drache

The easiest way is look at the feedback. Alot of scammers make themselves 10 pr 11 feedback by bidding on small cheap items or even creating 10 ebay accounts and bid on their own fake auctions. That seller bought 5 TMX Elmos and a pool cue from what I can see....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

472 R/T SE

When it starts off with this "Note: This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only.", 9 times outta 10 it's a SCAM.

bull

I still don't see how it an be a scam if the guy's offering the option to pay with cash in person. Maybe he'll start making demands after the auction ends but for now it looks legit to me. At any rate, I still don't think I could bring myself to buy a car off Ebay without seeing it, or asking a friend to see it, in person. Too much to lose IMO.

HITMAN 149

funny...it's all because of the ebay "buy it now" scams that started me looking for a 68 charger again!!!! hehehe i saw one that the pics alone were worth $15K :o she was beautifullllllllll, & then of course it was obvious it was a SCAMMMMMM!!!!!! a$$holes!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
i was reporting all the scammmers i saw when i was looking for my 68, the i just got tired of wasting my time!!!! OMG you should of read some of the emails i sent these thieven scammmming S-BAGS!!!! (i'm trying to keep it clean TROY...as this is a family forum!!! LOL) :angel:
bull.... i bought my 68 r/t off of ebay....but i went to B-more MD to check her out that sat after there was nothing at the fall Carlisle PA show, i ended up winning the auction & picked her up that following weekend!!!!
awwwwww and we( me & my toys) all live happpily ever after!!!!!!!! LOL
:D
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

myk

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 29, 2006, 04:33:36 PM
if that's not a scam, I don't know what is.  11 grand for a clean charger with a 440 4speed/dana?

Seriously.  Rustbuckets that don't even run start off at around 11K...

BigBlockSam

scam. just tell him you live in Ludlow, VT. then tell him you want to come over and see the car, since you live so close and you'll bring cash with you . thats when you get the email about the car is in england and he'll fed ex you the car for free and you should have the car in 3 days. all you got to pay is the deposite. 
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

rickhemi

is a scam all the way. look at the top , pre approved bidders only, that's tipycal f scam.

Rick<br />charger 69RT HEMI

Steve P.

I've seen this too many times myself. I send them an email, (through Ebay), asking for more, very specific pictures. That's normally when they tell you they will drop the price due to being transfered to Hawaii. BUT,,, they WILL include the price of shipping you the car at the new LOWBALL price!!

Tell me again how you send a terminal virus..... :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida