News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

worst trade EVER

Started by Charger1970, October 23, 2006, 08:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGhost

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on October 24, 2006, 06:18:51 PM
my dad sold his 68 gto 389 4-spd car for $500 to purchase a 69 pontiac strato chief, also my dads friend in high school had the chance when he was in gr.11 to buy a gold and black 66 hemi charger 4-spd for $1200 he passed because he couldnt afford gas , that was in 1978-MATT

Once again, I make an engine/year correction.

66 was the last year for the 389.  A 68 GTO would have had the 400.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

THE CHARGER PUNK

ahh my bad, well it had a 389 tri power in it wen he bought it,have pics 2 prove it ,wrong year , thnx 4 the info ghost, also 2 add to this thread, my uncle had a triple green 340 73 challenger he sold for $1000 to pay 4 a sunbird he bought

Bandit4142

I traded my 69' Super Bee for a 1984 Trans AM back in 1990...    If I only knew then....   
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

konigcharger

my uncle sold a built ev2 '71 340 'cuda w/ black top and interior for $3000 in 1983 there isn't a day that goes by he doesn' regret it.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

he has a pic of it at Dragway 42 with its front wheels 2 feet off the ground :o   

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

derailed

15 years ago I traded my 70 formula 400 for a night of bar hoppin and street racing which ended up in a set of cuffs and a ride in the cruiser. Ended up selling the car to help pay the fines.

rare69

Quote from: derailed on October 25, 2006, 12:11:50 AM
15 years ago I traded my 70 formula 400 for a night of bar hoppin and street racing which ended up in a set of cuffs and a ride in the cruiser. Ended up selling the car to help pay the fines.
well, at least it went for a good cause, you could of just sold it and wasted the money. :icon_smile_big:

69_500

Well my father was on the good end of a bad trade. In 1979 he traded $300 cash, and a home stereo (8 track, and record) for an R6 red, white interior, 4 speed DAYTONA.

41husk

I wouldsay thats a bit better than a good trade :o
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

Speaking of good trades,...... i traded my restored 55 Chevy for my 69 500.  Everyone except me (and you guys) thought it was a bad idea at the time.   That was 3 years ago and i havent missed the 55 yet....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69_500

You parted ways with a 55 Chevy for your 500? Not a bad trade at all.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69_500 on October 25, 2006, 12:30:03 PM
You parted ways with a 55 Chevy for your 500? Not a bad trade at all.

Ya it was a 2 door 210 sedan that i did a frame off on over 5 years span.  It was a blast to drive but after 5 years of driving it i got bored with it, and i was out of college and finally had a real job where i could afford a Charger.  It went to Troy's buddies at HLPAG.   :angel:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

41husk

Did they paint it orange and put a rebel flag on top?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

70charginglizard

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 23, 2006, 09:00:41 PM
About 12 years or so ago, I bought a v-code '70 Bee.  I had a '68 Coronet RT, my first Mopar, and a daily driver '72 Charger.

My new wife wanted me to sell the RT so a dude came over with $$ in hand and traded me an old first generation Honda Civic and $3500.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

3 months later the RT was in the Auto Trader for $8500.

Key words being...."My new wife wanted me to sell..."
70charginglizard

Zentelis

Quote from: whitehatspecial on October 24, 2006, 05:56:02 PM
1965 was the only year 396's were available for a Corvette. A very desirable year and engine combo because of that.  Chevy had 5 engine choices for that model year!
Oops, '65 then? I'm not that familiar with Corvettes..I thought it was '67. (Maybe an engine swap?)

Quote from: 70charginglizard
A couple years ago I thought about selling my Spyder and Charger 'cause the bills were racking up..my girlfriend said "if you sell either one of those cars, I'll kick your ass from here to your grave" :p Then she offered to buy the Spyder herself if worst came to worst..
I'm still with her :D

Chryco Psycho

I sold a Power wagon & replaced it with a rampage , then I sold a Ramcharger & replaced it with a GM 1 ton dually , I need a tow vehicle & couldn't find a Dodge that was by far the worst move I have made with vehicles ,the gm broke down constantly & COST ME A FORTUNE ,it was my Last GM

dpm68

Hey Zentelis, sounds like you have a gem of a girl. KEEP HER.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 70charginglizard on October 25, 2006, 01:22:54 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 23, 2006, 09:00:41 PM
About 12 years or so ago, I bought a v-code '70 Bee.  I had a '68 Coronet RT, my first Mopar, and a daily driver '72 Charger.

My new wife wanted me to sell the RT so a dude came over with $$ in hand and traded me an old first generation Honda Civic and $3500.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

3 months later the RT was in the Auto Trader for $8500.

She has since seen the light.  I remind her of her nagging to sell the old RT everytime we drive by the parking lot of where the deal went down.

Fast forward to present...she discourages me when I talk of selling my Challenger now.  Let's just say she has watched too many episodes of Barrett Jackson.

6670charger

The first worst one I ever made was when I traded my freshly repainted 84 Chev Monte Carlo for a 86 Olds Eighty-Eight two-door, just because I had driven one on a track during some training.  Until then, I had never driven a front drive car, and liked the way it handled.  After six months, I traded back to a 87 Monte Carlo.

The second worst trade was when I traded that Monte Carlo for a 91 Lumina 2-door about two years later.  The first Gulf War had just broke out, and I decided I needed to trade cars and spend thousands of dollars in order to save myself 7mpg, because I thought the price of gas was going to shoot up to $2/gal or higher (it was only about $1/gal then for those who may have been too young to remember).

The third worst trade was when I traded a 75 Cordoba I had bought for $500 as a beater car.  I didn't know much about cars at that time, and found that the 360 engine had lost a couple of freeze plugs.  I figured I was looking at a total engine rebuild, so I traded the car for a 75 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight two-door.  The Cordoba and another $250 later got me a car with a weak right front spring, a large hole in the front floorboard, and such bad valves that it sucked 3.5 quarts of oil every 150 miles.  I got a whole $150 for it when I traded it for a another car only six weeks after I bought it.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

MichaelRW

Quote from: Zentelis on October 23, 2006, 10:34:25 PM
My dad (God rest his soul) had a couple. In the earrly 70's, he traded a '67 Corvette 396 4-speed (with knock-off wheels) for a '66 Buick Wildcat (straight-up trade)..In the late 90's we saw a nearly identical corvette sell for over $100,000.
He traded it because he was mad that the convertible top leaked onto his new leather coat.

He had a few others (like passing up a Gull-Wing Mercedes for $1000) but the 100K corvette had to be his biggest goof.

I'm trying not to follow in his foot steps..everytime I come across a deal, I do whatever I can to jump on it..so far I owe 6 first-born children, and 3 moms that i've already sold  :P ;D

The passing up on the Gull wing MB was the bigger goof. Those routinely go for $250,000 or more.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

GREEN684SPD

back in 88 and was married the wife wanted to buy her dads 82 f-150,so i sold my 68 charger 440 4spd car for 2800.00!car had one small dime rust hole on it the rest was mint az sheetmetal.the when we got divorced for some stupid reason i let her keep my 68 383 gts 4spd dart project car and my one owner 64 330 wagon.those decisions still haunt me :errr: :errr:

MichaelRW

Quote from: GREEN684SPD on October 27, 2006, 05:22:32 PM
back in 88 and was married the wife wanted to buy her dads 82 f-150,so i sold my 68 charger 440 4spd car for 2800.00!car had one small dime rust hole on it the rest was mint az sheetmetal.the when we got divorced for some stupid reason i let her keep my 68 383 gts 4spd dart project car and my one owner 64 330 wagon.those decisions still haunt me :errr: :errr:

Did you get divorced for some stupid reason or for some stupid reason let her keep those cars?  ;D
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Lord Warlock

I haven't got any bad trade stories, as I tend to keep the old and buy a new toy outright.  I did almost trade my 69 charger r/t se for a pristine 60k original 70 GTO convertible 4spd/ram air III motor, with a perfect frame, no rust at all.  Those cars sell for twice what the charger does now.  So it was a bad trade deal.  But still happy i kept the charger (still got it)

I've had a bunch of "missed opportunity" type deals though,  1st and biggest mistake; a 66 shelby gt350 advertised in auto trader (in early 90s) for 3500 bucks.  Thought it was a misprint, waited two weeks and finally called, found it it was a repossession car, and yes it was a real shelby, and it sold the previous week for 3000.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

2nd: 69 shelby gt500 428scj 4spd, again a real documented shelby, they wanted 12,000 but the motor was totally disassembled and sitting out of the car in pieces. But was all there.  That was my dream car as a 14 year old. 

3rd, back in 79, a Hemi Challenger convertible, hemi motor was all new, all chrome, just rebuilt.  Body looked pretty gross needed alot of work...but price was only 1200.00. 

Passed over a Boss 351 for 3600.00, passed over a 72 Buick GSX 455 (one of 46 made) because it wasn't a stage I car.  Saw a brand new 440 six pack 4spd superbird in 75, still on the dealer lot (had been on showroom floor for 5 years) asking price was 3000.00, also passed up a real 427 AC Cobra for 10k back in the early 80s. 

Seems that I always find a great deal when I'm out of work, or don't have lots of disposeable income.  (although I've always got more than enough credit available to buy whatever I want), Just don't feel its a good idea at the time. 

Biggest misake:  I bought a 70 Camaro z28 (clone) with the money I'd set aside to buy my charger back from my dad, ended up spending 10k on the project, sold it for 5k...worst thing was I only owed my dad 1500 for the charger.  I'd traded it to him for a 77 mazda wagon when I graduated college and had to drive from florida to california for Military Missile Launch school training.  I'd had a deal that I could buy the charger back when I got out for the same price I'd traded for the mazda wagon.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

84shelby

Around 1972  my uncle  traded  his red  67  Shelby GT 500 for a custom street rod  :eyes: 

My missed opprotunity was around 1983  when a friend of my brother restored  a

sublime 70  TA  Challenger  with loads of nos parts ,  then sold it for around  $14000.

Steve P.

Quote from: Charger1970 on October 23, 2006, 08:48:10 PM
In another thread I admitted to selling my 69 Coronet 500 and bought an 85 Daytona Turbo Z. That was my worst trade ever. ::)

ARE YOU COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR MIND?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??   :nutkick:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida