News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd gen Powerbulge hood modify to fit '71 R/T insert

Started by chgr500, October 12, 2006, 10:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chgr500

Wondering if anyone has ever tried to modify a 3rd gen powerbulge hood to accept an oem 71 R/T louvered insert.  I've got a nice R/T insert I want to install in my powerbulge hood.  I've never seen an actual setup,  but from looking at pics it appears the insert should fit flush on the hood body sooo I figure there must be stepped ledge of some sort for the insert to fit into.  I have seen a pic with the insert sitting on top of the hood body as well.  The pictures I refer to are from the superbee website.  Maybe that hood with the insert on top of the body line was modified??  Maybe an airgrabber hood opening frame would help me out? (PG classics)  Or am I crazy to hack my hood open???? :image_294343: 

chgr500

Best pic I can find of what the opening should look like

kab69440

You will need to run a pneumatic flanger around the opening once it is cut, to make a recess for setting the top of the insert level with the skin.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

purple70rt

here are some pics.....don't hack your hood up IMO

chgr500

I'm still having second thoughts on hacking open my hood.  As you can see my hood is for a 73-4 anyway,  but I also have a 71-2 powerbulge hood with the fresh air gills with a little damage on the front corner.  Could be easily repaired.  This hood project may be a little more difficult than first anticipated. LOL  Now what do I do with this mint R/T insert???? Ya know third gen guys have to have all the bells and whistles.  WHY?????? cause we can!!!! No numbers match here,  I threw away my original block about 16 years ago,  who would of thought,   along with crushing several :image_294343:

purple70rt

nice car, where did you get the front spoiler and window louvers?

chgr500

Quote from: purple70rt on November 01, 2006, 06:46:21 AM
nice car, where did you get the front spoiler and window louvers?
spoiler---www.fpap.com
louvers--www.ebay.com--seller 7864john
Both these fellows are really good to work with and thanks for the compliment on my car
There is another thread in this section regarding these louvers.

dart4forte