News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know a good knife/tool sharpening system?

Started by last426, October 20, 2006, 01:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

last426

I have been searching for something decent, might even do some part time knife sharpening.  I am focusing in on Tormek but haven't really found a lot of competitors.  Anyone know of a supplier for good sharpening stuff?  Thanks, Kim.

kab69440

If you haven't yet developed the ability to use a fine whetstone, the Lansky Sharpeners are pretty hard to beat. Once you have a proper chamfer at the edge of the hollow grind, the top of your driver's window in the car will keep it razor sharp with little effort.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

71charger_fan

Get yourself a good set of stones and learn how to use them. It's not difficult and it gives you a wonderfully sharp edge that will last more than one cut.

purple70rt

porcelin (sp?) or ceramic, whatever they are made of, insulators off of telephone poles works great

last426

Thanks for the suggestions.  I do have whetstones and have used them for a long time, since my duck hunting days.  But I need to get repeatable exact edges if I am going to charge people.  Also I need a machine to quickly repair damaged (nicked) edges.  I would really have to practice if I wanted to do this by hand.  Meanwhile I have searched some professional machines and, wow, they are pricy.  The Tormek one that I am looking at is cheap at 800.  The others are 2-6000.  Kim

ck1

I use a diamond stone to sharpen my hunting knife and try to stay with knifes with a straighter edge, the more rounded skinning knifes are a biatch to sharppen..........
CJK