News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Weird Australian engines? A 6cyl HEMI?

Started by Drache, July 22, 2005, 08:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

Ok I was looking up some information about those Australian Valiant Chargers and I noticed a link about one with a HEMI. I started reading and the guy was talking about his 265 HEMI! I never even knew there was such a thing! I mean to even make it MORE weird we are talking about a 265 (6cyl) HEMI with a 6 pack... what will those Australians think of next! I also posted a couple pictures of this guy's 1972 Valiant Charger R/T with it's 6cyl HEMI 6-pack!

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

RD

drache.  hehe, everyone else knew about them. hehe.  they werent true hemispherical chambers though, but they still kicked the holden's butt in the 1/4.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

dodgecharger-fan

Wait 'til he finds the Brazilian Chargers!

RD

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 22, 2005, 09:48:29 AM
Wait 'til he finds the Brazilian Chargers!

bwhahahahhhaa :icon_smile_big:   or sees nacho's venezuelen 74 charger r/t  hehe
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Nacho-RT74

already knows me hehe...

about brazilian, aussie and rest of A bodies based Chargers... everyone on one place looking a generic view:
www.allpar.com.
www.valiant.org/

then start a more detailed search.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

FastbackJon

I'd rather have an XB GT Ford, or an HQ Monaro.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

RD

FastbackJon

Quote from: RD on July 22, 2005, 12:13:45 PM
:rant: :brickwall: :ahum: :cussing: :drunk:
Quote from: FastbackJon on July 22, 2005, 11:57:43 AM
:blahblah: :image_294343: :icon_bs: :moon: :mrt: :nono: :scared:

But sh--sh--shee's the last of the V8's. Sucks nitro. Phase IV heads. Twin overhead cam. 600 horsepower through the wheels!! Meanness put to music and the bitch was born to run!!

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

andy74

i read a really cool article about the 6 cylinder "hemi" 6 packs,pretty damn quick,and cool looking besides! was the fastest down under car for like 20 years,not to shabby!

RD

Quote from: FastbackJon on July 22, 2005, 12:51:26 PM
Quote from: RD on July 22, 2005, 12:13:45 PM
:rant: :brickwall: :ahum: :cussing: :drunk:
Quote from: FastbackJon on July 22, 2005, 11:57:43 AM
:blahblah: :image_294343: :icon_bs: :moon: :mrt: :nono: :scared:

But sh--sh--shee's the last of the V8's. Sucks nitro. Phase IV heads. Twin overhead cam. 600 horsepower through the wheels!! Meanness put to music and the bitch was born to run!!

u forgot about the fake blower (precursor to the F&F car)

FastbackJon

Quote from: RD on July 22, 2005, 01:11:42 PM
u forgot about the fake blower (precursor to the F&F car)

Okay, then I should specify that I would take that black Ford, WITH A FAKE BLOWER, over a 6 cylinder aussie charger with hemi emblems.

;D

RD

now you are just in it for the bling effect, you ricer wannabe!!!!!  :spank: :moon:  should i call you silver r/t? hehe :smilielol: :smilielol:

FastbackJon

There's no point in having a fast car if it doesn't look bad ass. Six cylinder cars are for grandmas. It's not like you can't make a supercharger functional and put a big block 460 in that black beast.

:drive:   :boogie:

Ghoste

The last issue of Mopar Muscle (with the Daytona on the cover) had a good article in it about the Aussie Chargers.  A decent pic of the combustion chamber too.  It's not a true Hemi but it isn't really a wedge either.  Somewhere between the 426 (which was also not a TRUE Hemi) and the current 5.7 Hemi (which is also not a true Hemi).

Silver R/T

Quote from: FastbackJon on July 22, 2005, 01:56:56 PM
There's no point in having a fast car if it doesn't look bad ass. Six cylinder cars are for grandmas. It's not like you can't make a supercharger functional and put a big block 460 in that black beast.

:drive: :boogie:

some people prefer 'sleepers' and yes Jon is officially an US ricer
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TheGhost

Wouldn't mind having one of those 275s under the hood of Casper....
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

RD

:drive:     :boogie:

the aussie chargers have SB's put in them all the time.  I am sure a BB transplant has been done in the past, but I dont have proof to it.

bacarudaguy

HEY! What's wrong with a little six banger?!?! ::) :eyes: My little slant six banger smokes 5.0's with less money put into her then a V8!!! :icon_smile_cool:

;D If you'd like a signature like this, shoot me a PM! ;D

TheGhost

Quote from: bacarudaguy on July 22, 2005, 03:22:34 PM
HEY! What's wrong with a little six banger?!?! ::) :eyes: My little slant six banger smokes 5.0's with less money put into her then a V8!!! :icon_smile_cool:

So THIS is where you ran off to.  Hi Mike!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Ghoste

I believe a 360 smallblock was a "downgrade" option on the Aussie Chargers.  If you wanted the performance version, you ordered up the six.

dodgecharger-fan

Those SixPack HEMIs run really fast.
And don't forget, we're not talking about a B-Body sized car either.
It was more on the scale of an A-Body.
Lotsa power in a small package that actually handles well and you've got a real winner of a car - and not just in a straight line.

Silver R/T

you can supercharge any number of cylinder, 1, 2 3 .... its matter of money
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

I've yet to get a chance to drive an Australian Charger but I hope to eventually.  I've seen them at some of the bigger Mopar shows and that "lowly" six definitely has a nasty growl to it.

SeattleCharger

australian charger,  R/T        This was at the DC Charger.com  meet in Kent, WA.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

d/ur/t

Gee you guys are very complimentary about the Aussie chargers.

Though a lot of us wish the car had been designed a little earlier so we could have maybe availed ourselves of engines like 340 sixpack we had to make do with the home made truck engine we got off you guys and turned it into a V8 tamer {would have like to put killer there but they never won the only race that mattered at the time Bathurst} .so the gun power plant was the 265 triple webered power plant.At the time they were quoted as being the fastest 6cyl in the world and the handling was touted as being sensational and a famous quote was it would take jackie ickx to keep up with one.

With a quoted 302 BHP and 0 to 60 in 6.1 and the 100 MPH up in 14.1 seconds they sure did a lot of V8 taming over here anyway.

BTW I have stated this before but the car was jointly designed by a host of Americans and one from memory was Bob Hubbard I believe.

C we really are a Chrysler family.

Though I own a Dodge charger R/T I still have a soft spot for home grown one and yes a big block will fit in one quite easily my Brother In Law has done that.

cheers

Andrew

There are a few Valiant chargers running around NZ with 440s in them. They arent too far off the US darts, so there are a lot of engines you can slot in. As well as the 265 there was also a 215 hemi and a 245 hemi, as well as a high compression 318, a 360 (later on, around '75 I believe) and a very limited run  of 340/727 chargers. The 340s were imported from the US with plans for a 340/4speed to follow the 265 6pack/4spds (e49). Unfortunately some politicians kicked up a bit of a stink about "supercars" being sold to just anyone. So the run of E49s was cut short, with only 140something of the 200 actually being built, and the E55 downtuned and sold as a 'luxury' model with a 727 the only available trans. The 360 came soon after the 340s were all sold off, but neither sold particularly. around '78 the ELB318 was available with a 4-speed behind it, but '79 was the last year for chargers.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on April 04, 2009, 11:24:23 AM
australian charger,  R/T        This was at the DC Charger.com  meet in Kent, WA.

I think you'll find the Charger pictured is not a genuine R/T.....I think that one is an "8" for a start and Aussie R/T's only came in hemi 6.

Incidentally.....a few Aussie R/T Chargers have sold over the last couple of years for around the $200,000 Aust. mark.

Extremely collectible.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

71 Bee Man

Quote from: RD on July 22, 2005, 03:19:20 PM

:drive:     :boogie:

the aussie chargers have SB's put in them all the time.  I am sure a BB transplant has been done in the past, but I dont have proof to it.

I have personally seen an Aussie Charger with a 44o in it, but it was a custom job.

Aussie Chargers came with the biggest V8 being a 360, although some 340's were sold here and are pretty collectible - although they never raced.

The V8's NEVER got anywhere near the 6 cylinder engines (those with webbers at least). The R/T 6 cylinder was one of the hottest cars on the market. No 8 came close to it. In a straight line the 8's could catch it because of top end speed but for out and out accelleration it was the gun. It was also friendlier on the front end than an 8 due to the weight distribution.

I have seen various pics of Aussie "R/T's" in the USA and they always look a little shonky to me. If anyone ever thinks of importing one into the States, PLEASE make sure you do your research.

Peter
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Aussiemadonmopars

Hey Peter, good to see a few other Aussies here. My first car was a '76 VK K13/E57 ex-pursuit charger with all the go gear and factory sun-roof. Was a good burn-out car when I was 16 yo. I sold it not knowing what it was or what it was worth  :slap:  to another Charger guy here in Perth who just had to let me know  :rotz: , he wanted to know where I got it from. Man that thing was fast - 360 2 barrel holley with the biggest size jets I could find, 727 factory high stall and shift kit, 2.92 borgy diff... nearly 100mph in second gear.... man those were the days...

ozziemoparnut

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 22, 2005, 07:47:57 PM
Those SixPack HEMIs run really fast.
And don't forget, we're not talking about a B-Body sized car either.
It was more on the scale of an A-Body.
Lotsa power in a small package that actually handles well and you've got a real winner of a car - and not just in a straight line.

To tell you the truth these cars were known more for straightline speed than anything, great cars if you don't want to turn or stop I love them but its true  :2thumbs:

UFO

What if they made B bodies,,,

dkn1997

:whistling:
RECHRGED

G-man

I Had a 245 Hemi valiant Charger 1972 VH.

Glad I dont have it anymore. They just dont look anything like american muscle cars. Nothing tough looking about them.

Aussiemadonmopars

Quote from: G-man on September 22, 2009, 02:08:58 AM

Glad I dont have it anymore. They just dont look anything like american muscle cars. Nothing tough looking about them.

:slap: Don't be dissin' our cars boyo!!! I'd still rather have one than a "Baked Bean" Ford coupe - even if it was painted black and had a blower bustin' from the hood.

G-man

Quote from: Aussiemadonmopars on September 22, 2009, 05:09:37 AM
Quote from: G-man on September 22, 2009, 02:08:58 AM

:slap: Don't be dissin' our cars boyo!!! I'd still rather have one than a "Baked Bean" Ford coupe - even if it was painted black and had a blower bustin' from the hood.

I would to rather than any ford or holden, hence I had 1 of them not the fords or holdens  :icon_smile_big:
But still Id rather neither of them over the US ones.  :D

aussiemuscle

I had a VK 1973 model. it was bog stock and still had it over the ford and holden sixes. eventually the body failed on it (cancer). the 265 used a lot of oil, but rarely let me down  :yesnod: My avatar is a charger used in Road Warrior (mad max 2 to us).

would i own one again? probably not, i'm after something more unique, and someone else in town has one :pity:. i've currently got a 88 Firebird, an that's the only one in town.  :icon_smile_big: The firebird just sold on Ebay, so i'll be in the market for something new shortly. if i had the 30 grand available, i'd probably look at a 68 dodge charger.