News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1966 Plymouth Fury II 4 Door

Started by Lost Sheep, October 15, 2006, 01:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Sheep

I recently was given a 66 Plymouth Fury II 4 Door from a family friend and it has a big block in it, but when I run the VIN it says it's a 318 car. The guy that gave it to me said it is a 318 Big Block. The egine is damned near shot,Tranny is ok yet, interior is toast. Where can I find another 318 Big Block or would you guys recommend redoing the valves............ the valves are shot?
Chicks Dig Muscle Cars

terrible one

There is no such thing. It either has a 318, which is a smallblock, or is has a big block in it that the guy mistook for a 318.

TK73

318 "A" engines (poly head) look bigger and probably look like a big block to the average person...

"The A engine family was a modern, relatively efficient, and durable design produced from 1956 through 1966; its progeny, the LA engine, would start in 1964 and proceed into the 21st Century in various forms. The basic blocks are similarly sized and hard to tell apart from the outside, though the A's polyspherical heads are considerably larger than the LA's heads. Bill Watson wrote:

The A block was fractionally bigger in external dimensions than the LA block, although it was heavier due to the new casting techniques. The LA block 273 weighed 55 pounds less than the poly 318, both used 4.46" bore centres, and both were 21.4" in length, without water pump, crankshaft, etc. The poly heads are much wider and heavier than the LA's wedge heads and that gives the A block engines the appearance of being bigger than the LA engines."

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/a-engines.html
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Lost Sheep

well then would there be a possibility of the engine being a 361? because the engine's size is about the same as my Charger's 383.
Chicks Dig Muscle Cars

moparguy01

irs probably a polyheaded 318. those engines run pretty good when done right.

purple70rt

I have always referred to the poly's as 318 big block

Lost Sheep

well is there anywhere that I can buy a set of new valves for the thing? Valves are shot.
Chicks Dig Muscle Cars

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Lost Sheep on October 16, 2006, 03:14:34 PM
well is there anywhere that I can buy a set of new valves for the thing? Valves are shot.
Hit up NAPA, or whichever other "real" auto parts store is near you.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Lost Sheep

now that i'm home for the weekend, I will get pics up of the Plymouth and My other Charger parts for sale.
Chicks Dig Muscle Cars

Charger_Fan

Those are pretty small, dark pics...but from what I can tell, that's the older style 318 poly engine.
Judging from the thermostat location & what looks like bolts going in the top of the valve covers, I'm going with the poly engine. :yesnod:

I found a little better pic of one, but not much bigger. Does this look like yours?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

konigcharger

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Manfred318

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.