News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turning a '68 into a General

Started by sixpack_sid, October 14, 2006, 10:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have a 68 Charger I'm turning into a General Lee. I need new back quarters-is there any difference from a 68 to a 69-other than the turn signals? If not, I'd rather just get the quarters for a 69 and weld them in. I want to change the back tail lights from a 68 to a 69. How would I go about doing that? Where can I get the tail panel or cut out for the change over? Also, how hard is it to turn an AT into a Stick? I'm gonna need floor pans & a rear frame rail. I have a 440 motor with an AT Trans. A Stick would be SWEEEEETT!!! Is there aftermarket manual transmissions you could buy to mount up to the 440 once I get it rebuilt? Any ideas on what works best for a rust convertor? Anyone around PA have any parts for a 68-70 Charger? It's hard to find parts around here...
Thanks for the help! YEEEEEEHAAAAWW!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

THE CHARGER PUNK

1stly would be the body parts

the quarters on the general were smoothed over(no marker lights)

the fenders can be 68 or 69 as well as they were also had their marker lights bondo'd over

then there is the grille which you could just add the 69 center section or just buy a whole 69 grille(can get one off ebay or find one on here)

the tail light panel is changed to a 69 which you can get a steel one from ebay or w/e possible or you can get a fiberglass one fromhttp://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=SF6970TP&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=0C3C5BD7F98E84E0290EFB15A1997D41

the general lee if u wanted to be correct had a tan 1969 interior which is available fromwww.yearone.com orwww.paddockparts.com or www.legendary.com

also the general lee had no charger emblems on the grille , roof or tail light panel

you can get 4-spd conversion parts from www.yearone.com, and you can get a new 4-spd tranny from www.passonperformance.com or you can get a brand new 5-spd www.keislerauto.com

other general lee info if uwant 2 be more correct are a rear cb antenna,2-pt roll bar,dixie horn,front push bar and the 10 spoke vector rims available at www.americanracing.com

the decals and correct stuff for a general lee can be found at http://buildagenerallee.com/

enjoy man, u need any more info just drop me a message-MATT

Nacho-RT74

why no sell the 68 and buy a 69 ?... is just an opinion but lot of ppl has a 68 as its favourite model and for respect will keep a 68 as 68. Maybe there is somebody searching for a 68 around, in fact maybe for a Bullit Charger clone.

Selling the 68 will be same money to get same conditions 69 and won't need to find, cut and weld parts.

68 and 69 are different on several parts beside tail lights and panel, sidemarkers, grill and charger emblems mounted on, they are different too on a bezel filler on headlights beams on 68,  lock knobs location, parking lights function since they keep lighted on on 69 what makes different switch, also as far I know different color lense. A/C-Heater labeled buttons, ignition key cilinder and switch, seat cover patterns, console top plate etc...

Yes I know some details are not important but I'm just exposing for a right clone.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

I've often wondered that Myself Nacho.  Of course, I support the thing about it being your car and doing what you want with it but I think if I had a 68 and wanted a GL, I'd unload it and get a 69.  That's just me though.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ghoste on October 15, 2006, 02:49:02 PM
but I think if I had a 68 and wanted a GL, I'd unload it and get a 69.  That's just me though.

not just you... is exactly what I'm saying

same as you Is true everyone makes what it wants with the car owned, but sometimes there are better options, and oftenly with less effort and cheaper, unless the 68 is not in good conditions and will need same job getting the 68 restored that make the conversion.

My opinion is the same when try to convert a 73/74 SE on to a hardtop
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on October 15, 2006, 02:37:14 PM
why no sell the 68 and buy a 69 ?...

Ok, any takers?? I originally wanted a 69 or 70- but ya take what ya can find at the time! If anyone's looking for a 68 I'd be willing to sell it & buy a 69 or 70 instead. If anyone's interested, let me know.
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Ghoste

You might be surprised at how many want the 68.  Of course, I don't know anything about the car so my opinion can't count for much.
I don't think either Nacho or myself are dissing your plans either.  I think we are just both of the opinion that it seems like a lot of extra work.

Nacho-RT74

:iagree:

pluss unnecesary with lots of 69 still around...

think on this. To make a GL clone from a 70 or 68, you virtually will "destroy" ( I know you are not really destroying your one ) your actually 68 and the donor. 2 cars total. Maybe the 69 you'll find won't need badly get donor car parts

anyway, don't take the critics like some bad, they are just opinions.

Time and patiente will give you the best option for you. Maybe convert 68 on to a 69 is good and the only one to you, but take your time an analize first.

skip68

I'm going to side with Ghoste and Nacho :iagree: I've got a 68 that I'm making a General Lee because my son that's 10 wants to and I think it would be cool too.  I'm only doing paint and decals and that's it.  No cutting or welding at all. :nono: Then after a few years I'll paint it the way I want... In the end it's your car and you can do what you want, but remember these are rare cars and when they're gone that's it.............................Chuck   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

JimShine

I am with you guys. I am a fan of both GL's and 1968 Chargers. I hate seeing 1968 Chargers modified, losing their identity to '69 appearance. But at the end of the day, its up to the owner.

bull

Quote from: JimShine on October 15, 2006, 07:29:55 PM
I am with you guys. I am a fan of both GL's and 1968 Chargers. I hate seeing 1968 Chargers modified, losing their identity to '69 appearance. But at the end of the day, its up to the owner.

:iagree: First of all I don't see the point in doing all that work when there are '69s out there ready to go. Second, I have a problem with the idea of cutting up a '68 to make it look like a '69, and I'd feel the same if it were reversed. But hey, it's your car I guess.

Mike DC

Where are you guys finding all these 1969 Chargers "ready to go?" 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I'd rather see a 1968 Charger left as a 1968 Charger too. 

But I'd also rather see a rough 1968 Charger restored into a 1969 than see it junked as the 1968 it really is. 
This guy has already said that the '68 car's got rusted-out rear framerails.

Ghoste

No one said junk the 68.  Most 69 projects will need the trunk floors and frame rail repairs as well.  They'll just not need need grille and taillight changeover. (interior too if you wanted to be fussy)

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 17, 2006, 01:16:42 AM

Where are you guys finding all these 1969 Chargers "ready to go?" 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I'd rather see a 1968 Charger left as a 1968 Charger too. 

But I'd also rather see a rough 1968 Charger restored into a 1969 than see it junked as the 1968 it really is. 
This guy has already said that the '68 car's got rusted-out rear framerails.

I bet there's 10 on Ebay right now and 15 more on classiccartraderonline.com. I never said any of them are easy to find but '69s aren't much harder to find than '68s, despite the production numbers.

charge-it

Quote from: sixpack_sid on October 14, 2006, 10:40:47 PM
I have a 68 Charger I'm turning into a General Lee. I need new back quarters-is there any difference from a 68 to a 69-other than the turn signals? If not, I'd rather just get the quarters for a 69 and weld them in. I want to change the back tail lights from a 68 to a 69. How would I go about doing that? Where can I get the tail panel or cut out for the change over? Also, how hard is it to turn an AT into a Stick? I'm gonna need floor pans & a rear frame rail. I have a 440 motor with an AT Trans. A Stick would be SWEEEEETT!!! Is there aftermarket manual transmissions you could buy to mount up to the 440 once I get it rebuilt? Any ideas on what works best for a rust convertor? Anyone around PA have any parts for a 68-70 Charger? It's hard to find parts around here...
Thanks for the help! YEEEEEEHAAAAWW!

Why?
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

floyds68

How close do you want to replicate the 01? I Do the rims, do the brush guard, and do the paint.  So its not exact.  You still get to walk out to your General in the parking lot and this way you dont have to tear up the 68.  It would temporarily satisfy you Orange thurst and at least buy you some time till you found a 69.  I think the bullet taillights and solid grill would look sick :icon_smile_big: in the Generals uniform.
Floyds 2 cents
Floyd

"Drive it like you stole it"

deputycrawford

I would not make a GL at all but to compromise. Buy a 69 grille, the brush bar and the sticker kit. Leave the rest a 68 and save the 68 grille. I believe the 68-69 grille will just bolt in. That way its a bolt on affair. 90 percent of the people that see your GL will not notice the 68 tail lights.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

69chargerboy

My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

HITMAN 149

it's like sacrilege...cutting up a 68 to make a "GL" out of her!!!!!!
geee...we never hear anybody "trashing" a 69 to make a "BULLITT"
hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm
:angel: :devil:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Ghoste

sixpack_sid

*****UPDATE*****

I thought about it so I went to look for another car. I bought a '68 with the back end cut out (Hacked up). He had already bought a rear valance & Fiberglass '69 housing & tail lights. Since it needs new rear quarters, I'm going with '69 rear quarter skins.
Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

I wouln't do it to a 69 either!!  but that's just me. 

with so many gl's out there, anyone who wants one could probably find one that's already been done. money's another issue....
RECHRGED

Ghoste

The same could be said for a stock resto too though.  I'm not personally into the GL's but I can understand somebody wanting to do one.  I'd just find a 69 to do it if it were me is all.

Lostsheep_01

Glad you found a good compromise. I look forward to pics.
69 Charger 383
MoPar.  You're either with us or behind us!

Brock Samson

personally i don't understand the general lee thing,..  :-\
i'm continuously amazed at how many clones there are out there and are being made...
must be a few hundred or a thousand eh?..

sounds like a good plan which i do  understand but a whole lotta trouble to make a clone your gonna have to explain to anyone who asks.    :P

good luck in any case..  :yesnod:

41husk

I think The GL cars are cool Kids all love em and they are recognized by all.  If I were to do one from a 68 iwould just do tan interior, orange paint decals and the emblems, most people won't know the difference, and If you ever get ready to sell it it would be real easy for the buyer to go back to a 68.  I would also probably go with a 318 car as well.  No big blocks. :Twocents: :nono:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

Quote from: 41husk on December 13, 2006, 01:14:11 PM
I think The GL cars are cool Kids all love em and they are recognized by all.  If I were to do one from a 68 iwould just do tan interior, orange paint decals and the emblems, most people won't know the difference, and If you ever get ready to sell it it would be real easy for the buyer to go back to a 68.  I would also probably go with a 318 car as well.  No big blocks. :Twocents: :nono:

:iagree:  besides there were some 68's used in the original series with the 68 taillights left on the car.  you can just say you are cloning a general lee stunt car  :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Steve P.

Ok, this is going to sound like I hate the DUKES. Nothing could be closer to the truth. Errr, I mean farther. :devil:  Anyway, since it is obviously not an original DUKES car, why not put your favorite paint job and flag on a 68' Charger??  Hell, I live in the South. I've seen it done on a Chevette and on a FORD pick up truck... The DIXIE horn will sound just the same in a 68.. I promise.   :smoke:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

I think it's hilarious when it's done to other vehicles.  But I'm twisted anyway.