News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-70 Console side trim molding ???

Started by resq302, October 14, 2006, 06:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Stupid question but is the side molding trim on the console for the 68-70 cars chromed steel or is is stainless steel?  My driver side molding for the 4 speed hump is really scratched up badly.  I do not want to start sanding it with fine sandpaper to only make it worse.  If it is stainless, I can sand out the scratches and then buff it up to a nice shine.

Anyone know what the metal is made out of???
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Brian if memory serves its adonized aluminum much like the grill trim....I could be wrong though
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Winged 1

;D
I have a 69. Mine were of some type of metal that had rusted thru. If they were like the parts on the grill they would not have rusted. Since then I have found a set and had them rechromed. Came out looking awsum.
Eric

resq302

Eric,

Who rechromed those pieces?  And what kind of coin did they charge you?

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

gtx6970

B5 Charger

They are chrome plated steel.  Don't sand them.  I tried that and didn't realize they were chrome until I reached the nickel layer.  Had to have mine rechromed and they came out great.   ;D

69hemidaytona

Quote from: resq302 on October 14, 2006, 06:25:42 PM
Stupid question but is the side molding trim on the console for the 68-70 cars chromed steel or is is stainless steel?  My driver side molding for the 4 speed hump is really scratched up badly.  I do not want to start sanding it with fine sandpaper to only make it worse.  If it is stainless, I can sand out the scratches and then buff it up to a nice shine.

Anyone know what the metal is made out of???
I am wondering what the answer to this question is too. I see there were three different answers of three different materials. Stainless steel. aluminum, and chrome plated steel were mentioned. I am getting my Daytona restored and the restorer had the side trim pieces rechromed. When I looked at them it appeared that they were maybe made out of pot metal that was chromed. It's been a long while since I saw them but I remember them being quite heavy. Recently I bought a supposed NOS passenger side console trim piece. When it arrived I saw it was stainless steel and very thin and light. Does anybody know for certain what material these were made out of for a 1969 B body automatic console? Thanks.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

I can confirm it's chromed steel.  I removed my console two years ago and while I had it apart I checked the trim.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

One more from chrome plated steel. They are subject to rust and pitting.  :yesnod:
This has always baffled me, since the majority of trim moldings were stainless.

To rechrome it wouldn't surprise me it would run $150 - $200 for the pair.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69hemidaytona

At first I just assumed it would be stainless steel. That would be cheaper and lighter. The NOS replacement is stainless steel. Maybe they switched over to stainless because it was cheaper. :shruggy: However my original was NOT stainless either. Thanks for the help on that.

resq302

Brian

A383Wing

Quote from: resq302 on August 04, 2013, 07:56:06 PM
Aren't they repro'ing them now?

yes...and quite pricey also...from what I heard....I can't remember right now who has them..I think either Mega parts or BE&A Parts

I have a real good set to sell here, but it's for an automatic car

Bryan