News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

e-heads and headers??

Started by Runner, August 06, 2005, 06:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runner

im well aware that tti's seem to be everyones favorite header to run with e-heads but im not willing to pay 6 bills for a set of headers for the sole purpose of doing a head change.     

ive heard that hookers offer some issues,  but how about the cheaper headmans?.  i have a set of ceramic coated headmans on my roadrunner, im sure cylenders 1,3,2,4 are in great shape with the angled plugs and it looks like 4,8 and should work nicly as well.   but cylenders 7 and 3 look a little iffy.  any one running headmans and e-heads?.    thanks mike.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

gsmopar

The E-Heads also have a slightly taller exhaust port.  On the B-bodys with an RB block you run into torsion bar clearence issues with the Hookers (slip tube on both sides goes around the T-bar).  TTi's fit like a glove and by far are the nicest set of headers I've used.  Careful what you're getting into.  I didn't listen to the peanut gallery when I put my car together.  I bought the 2inch ceramic coated Super Comps ($450 I think), and did a test it with the engine on the stand.  Seemed to work ok, so I tried to install them in the car.  By the time I figured out they wouldn't fit I had already "dinged" a couple of tubes and they could not be returned.  In my case the 6 or 7 bills for the TTi's would have been much cheaper had I just bought them the first time around!

Later,

Greg

Runner

well, the engine is a 452 (lowdeck). i will not put different heads on it if i have to pony up that kind of cash for headers.  it turns a 1300 dollar upgrade into a 2k upgrade pretty fast.   id really like to get the car right on the nhra bar rule of 11.50 and i feel the heads would have been a nice step in that direction but i can also be satisfied with what it runs right now if i have to.  (11.80 @ 113.5)  and i feel comfortable that i can tweek it down to a high 11.6 sence the 11.80 was the "out of the box" tune on this motor.    thanks  greg for your input

firefighter3931

Hey Mike, here's what i know : The 17/8 Comps and 2in Supercomps will work on the e-heads with some clearancing for plug access. We had both of those headders on mine when the motor was on the dyno. Member R2 has the 17/8 in comps on his e-head 493 in the 69 charger rt/se with auto trans and they seem to fit fine. I can't comment on the headmans because i haven't seen anybody using them on an e-headed 440.

The tti's are the obvious choice for this type of application. You should probably be looking at a 17/8in primary tube header anyway, for the kind of power your engine will be making. The headmans are a 13/4 small tube header if i'm remembering correctly....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on August 06, 2005, 11:49:05 PM
well, the engine is a 452 (lowdeck).

Zippy over at Moparts runs the 17/8in comps on his e-headed 451....maybe shoot him an e-mail to see what the fitment issues are. The shorter deck should make clearance less of an issue.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

thanks ron for the input,   i know that 1 3/4 inch tubes are  on the small side for my engine, i also think that the 750 dp is a bit on the small side as well.  i have a buddy with a 850 demon carb laying around that i plan to give a try.    if i had to i wouldnt have a real issue going to hooker comp headers, but id like to keep the cost down as much as possible.   if this happens it wont be until winter anyway.

if nhra hadnt changed thier bar rule i would have been happy to just  leave it as is,  (ya right  ;D)

firefighter3931

The 17/8 Comp headers will probably be your best option for a "budget" solution at under $200.00   :thumbs: It might be wise to order the uncoated version because they will need some clearancing for sure...you could coat them afterwards the trial fitting is complete. The Eastwoods Header/Manifold paint works awesome....i saw a set of manifolds recently that had been coated for 3 yrs and they looked like they'd just been done 2 weeks ago !

As for keeping the car above 11.50 with e-heads......good luck :devil:......you might get away with that using a throttle stop.   :icon_smile_big:

Ron

CFMopar

Is the coating that fragile that "clearencing" them is going to ruin it?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Runner

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on August 07, 2005, 09:39:15 PM
Is the coating that fragile that "clearencing" them is going to ruin it?

its pretty tough stuff, i have no problems cleancing them, but id rather not have to clearance them to the point the tube is mashed totally inhalf  lol.   ceramic coating can be beat on a little with the right right tools.   a rubber mallet or plastic dead blow would be much better than a steel ball peen hammer

CFMopar

are you really going to dent it with a rubber mallet?

gsmopar

If you're running a low deck you should be fine with the Hookers.  They're a true equal length too, so you might get a bit more out of them????

Later,

Greg

CFMopar

Its an rb and their not super comps just comps

Ghoste

An RB and Super Comps are going to be tighter.

SuBLimE 69

I tried the Hooker Super Comps and regreted it....Buy the TTis...its the only way to go.

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

Runner

well i went up to the muscle car drags in spokane today. the guy i bought my 68 satellite from was up there with his coronet. sence i talked to him last he has put eddy heads on his coronet and he is running headman headers.  spark plug clearance is just fine with them.   cylenders 3 and 7 will require a 90 degree boot but there is plenty of room so they shouldnt burn or need any clearancing.  this is a good deal! now all i have to do is come up with the rest of the money for the heads, bolts and gaskets ! 

firefighter3931

That's good info Mike. Should save you some dough. I heard through the grapevine that edelbrock is coming out with a new Victor series head this fall to compete with the indy SR's and EZ's. It's supposed to be a bolt on like the rpm with stock ex.port location like the rpm's and a slightly smaller chamber. You might want to hold off until after SEMA because that's whaen they're supposed to be unveiled. The edelbrock rep i spoke with at the nats was pretty tight lipped about the whole deal but did confirm that something big was coming.   ;)

Ron

Runner

ron, im not ready to pull the trigger yet anyway so waiting a bit is a must, i still need to work some of my days off to flip the bill for them. 

i wonder how they will be priced.  that will weigh into my decision a good bit.  i also remember when they brought the rpm head out.  man did they keep pushing the release date back or what?.   

if the victor is priced with in reason and they are out by christmas then ill look into them.   thanks for the tip

RallyeMike

With Eddy heads and TTI's ... what is the ground clearance like on a RB set up, compared to Comp's? The Comp's have good ground clearance but hit everything else on the damn car    >:(

Anyone compared the two set ups?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1970440RT

Runner, I currently have coated hedmans on my E-headed Chally.   The spark plug clearance is not an issue at all.   All plugs and boots are clear.   The big problem I have is that three out of four of the driver side primaries need dented to clear the mini starter, torsion bar, and steering gear box.   Actually, the term "dent" is being nice.   I needed heat, a crow bar, and a LARGE hammer to "collapse" the tubes nearly half way to fit.   I am nearly positive this is restricting my exhaust flow.   My coating now looks like $hit.   Worthless.   I used Super comps on my Charger and same story.   I WILL sell my first born to buy TTI's the next time.   The extra time I wasted installing the hedmans will more than cover the extra cost.   The TTI's are almost mythical now.   Rumor has it you can change mini starters with the TTI's in place.   Not sure if that is true but with the auto parts fairy not being real, it's all I got left.

Runner

Quote from: 1970440RT on August 29, 2005, 08:12:18 PM
      Runner, I currently have coated hedmans on my E-headed Chally.   The spark plug clearance is not an issue at all.   All plugs and boots are clear.   The big problem I have is that three out of four of the driver side primaries need dented to clear the mini starter, torsion bar, and steering gear box.   Actually, the term "dent" is being nice.   I needed heat, a crow bar, and a LARGE hammer to "collapse" the tubes nearly half way to fit.   I am nearly positive this is restricting my exhaust flow.   My coating now looks like $hit.   Worthless.   I used Super comps on my Charger and same story.   I WILL sell my first born to buy TTI's the next time.   The extra time I wasted installing the hedmans will more than cover the extra cost.   The TTI's are almost mythical now.   Rumor has it you can change mini starters with the TTI's in place.   Not sure if that is true but with the auto parts fairy not being real, it's all I got left.

rb or b motor?.      i dont run a mini starter  and my motor is a b motor

1970440RT

The hedman headers are on a 440 in the Chally.  Same deal with supercomps in the Charger.  I originally had the Super Comps on a 383 with a regular starter.  I did not have a problem with plugs and boots on the 383 but still had to use heat to clearance the pipes.  I went to a mini starter to be able to loosen it up and move it around if I needed to within the confines of the primaries.  The original starter was really wedged in there and you could not move it around at all.

Runner

any chance you could take some pics of the plugs-header area?.   on my low deck i dont have any real issues with the starter or the t bars  lots of room there, so unless they moved the port location around i should be good fine fore clearance.   thanks for the info!

1970440RT

No prob.  Give me a day or two

Steve P.

Reading all this is scary.. Mike B has a 68' Charget with a 440, e-heads and super comps.. His only complaint is it's too tight at #8 plug..

When I MAKE ROOM on a header pipe I use an impact socket with a shoe string through it and around the pipe. This aids in holding the socket in place.. Then I use my favorite ballpeen hammer to adjust or fine tune the pipe...

Sometimes I look like this doing it!!   :flame:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

gsmopar

Quote from: RallyeMike on August 29, 2005, 08:05:35 PM
With Eddy heads and TTI's ... what is the ground clearance like on a RB set up, compared to Comp's? The Comp's have good ground clearance but hit everything else on the damn car      >:(

Anyone compared the two set ups?

I couldn't get the super comps to fit at all.  I had less than 1/16 of an inch from the passenger side torsion bar and the driver side slip tube was NO where near fiting.  I did the dent the tube thing with no success and ended up selling the headers for an extreme discount and picking up a set of TTi's.    My application is a RB block, EB heads, Solid MP Engine Mounts, 2inch Hooker Super comps (1st try), and 2inch TTi's (current).