News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I am Guilty

Started by dkn1997, October 08, 2006, 05:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deputycrawford

Heh heh heh. My next door neighbor is in his 70's. He pulled his 7000 miles GNX out og his garage one day and pulled a huge burnie in the street in front of my house. I think I might have had my cruiser in my driveway. I just stood in the driveway and cheered him on. He knows me too well.

Hey, I drove mine to work yesterday, just for a test drive, :angel: and pulled a good heavy throttle launch through first gear to about 6200 in uniform... 383 engine.  It WAS a good day wasn't it. :icon_smile_cool:
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

41husk

If you PM me your address I will send a copy, I believe it is similiar to Ohio,  We are limited to 2000 miles a year, weekends, parades, to and from Maintennce, and test drives.  I have seen people with AV tags out often, far more than 2000 miles per year in my estimate, but I stay close to the rule with an occassional test drive on a nice day :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Brock Samson

I might be old, but I ain't dead...

squeakfinder

Mine got scared and went inside because it was raining.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

myk

Can't say I'm guilty, myself.  I have a rotation schedule with the other cars but driving the Charger is just too much fun, so I'm in this thing every day despite mechanics telling me that I'm "killing the car."  How can someone resist the thrill of driving one of these things?  Even if I had the LAST Hemi-Daytona-4spd on Earth I would drive it just as much.  To work, to school, the drycleaners, Wendy's, dates, grocery runs, helping people move, on and on and on...

chargerrt

I'm kinda guilty of that myself right now.  I left my '70 at home while I'm in college.....I don't want other kids being retarded and screwing up my baby.  On the other hand, when I'm at home it's my daily driver.  In fact two Fridays ago I put about 200 miles on it going from town to town to watch some street racing  :icon_smile_big:

squeakfinder

Quote from: myk on October 11, 2006, 03:18:12 PM
Can't say I'm guilty, myself.  I have a rotation schedule with the other cars but driving the Charger is just too much fun, so I'm in this thing every day despite mechanics telling me that I'm "killing the car."  How can someone resist the thrill of driving one of these things?  Even if I had the LAST Hemi-Daytona-4spd on Earth I would drive it just as much.  To work, to school, the drycleaners, Wendy's, dates, grocery runs, helping people move, on and on and on...

Mechanics are telling you your killing your car by driving it? Thats a strange thing for them to say when so many have sat and rotted away.

I think driving them is one of the best things to do to keep them going. Air circulates threw the body, things like gas, brake fluid, oil and coolant keep moving so things don't seize up or rust.

Well the weather hasn't been to bad lately, maybe I'll start driving it back and forth to work again.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

myk

I guess they figure the car'll fall apart if I keep driving it around, especially on these fooked up San Diego streets.  Sorry, but that would be a better fate than gathering dust under a car cover in a garage somewhere.  When I finally become ruler of this world, I will command all show-only cars to be driven on a daily basis as either taxi cabs or pizza delivery cars...

old man

Yes I know how everyone feels. Last weekend after loading up the old 66 Charger on a transport for the new owner I was looking around shop. My 70 T/A was sitting back in the corner waiting to be tore down for motor rebuild. The rings are weak and she has some blowby. I got in and hit the key and it fired right up. It had been around 4 months since I had moved it. I pulled it out of garage and went for a drive after about 5 minutes of rough running it straightened itself out. I drove it for around an hour on some backroads and interstate. After a few smokey burnouts and a nice run I knew she was still a beast. I pulled her back into shop and sat for a while just enjoying the car. The wife came out wanting to know where I had been. When she saw the posi marks in the driveway she just smiled. It's nice to have more than one car but sometimes I feel as though I am cheating them by not driving them all the time. I can't wait till I finish rebuild this winter. Then I will no longer make her sit and wait for some attention.
70 Challenger T/A, 66 Charger 440, 73 Duster 340,79 Little Red Express

41husk

yep!  Just because we don't drive them every day doesn't mean we don't enjoy the time we do spend end them.  I would much rather see a clean well kept car kept inside under a tarp and not driven every day, than see the car sitting next to a house or garage rotting away.  Only to be told by the owner "it's not for sale, someday I'm going to restore it"   
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

4402tuff4u

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 08, 2006, 05:44:09 PM
....of being one of those guys who never drives his charger!!!  I get caught up in so many other things in life, 65+ hour work weeks, kids, fertilizing the lawn, coaching soccer, etc....

plus I get down about the car not being "perfect"  I am always working on it, upgrading.  Unfortunately, no upgrade is ever a bolt in or easy, so it's never done in one "session" then I don't get a chance to get back to it the next day or week or month sometimes, so it sits in pieces in the garage a lot of time.  not totally in pieces, but enough to make it not useable. 

Well, today was one of the good days.  I broke it out, got gas, and drove around for @3 hours.  So unusual that my wife calls me on my cell and asks "are you alright?"  I say "yeah, why?"  and she says "because you are never gone in that car for 2+ hours and I thought you may have broken down"

Did many gratuitous burnouts and loved how obnoxious I was.  Now I just need to find a way to mount 3 point belts in the back and then the kids can come along.  maybe some quieter muffs too.  . 

I am determined to drive it more, I have to.  Otherwise I might as well sell it to someone who will enjoy it...

The feeling of being more perfect also bothers me sometimes, but I've learned that regardless of how perfect you got it, someone is always going to have a more "perfect" car. Same with the performance issue, someone will always have a higher performance car. The bottom line is that we bought these cars to use them. They are not trailer queens, so just drive it and enjoy it. I know what you mean about family stuff. I run into that and find myself not having time to drive mine either. But I also started driving my kids to soccer practice in the Charger. Just makesure the cleats are clean before they get in! :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

dkn1997

you bet!!  I finally found a diagram for 3 point rear belts thanks to charger fan on this site.  Now to buy some belts and stab 'em in....
RECHRGED

Steve P.

It's not GUILT. It's RESPONSABILITY.........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dkn1997

It's not GUILT. It's RESPONSABILITY......

I hear you brother!!

I am married, own a home, have 2 kids, coach soccer, and  work 65 hours a week as a manager.  I have had about as much Responsibility as I can take without throwing up.
RECHRGED