News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

if you owned this car, would you restore it?

Started by Andrew, August 23, 2005, 05:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

would you?

yes
no
undecided
go away, im sleeping

6pkrunner

A piece of history, although small history. The car travels to shows and while those still remember the movie it will garner attention. This will fade somewhat as the memory of the movie does. I'd leave it. Any celebrity car goes for more than a non-celebrity owned vehicle of the same make.
If you had the "dirt covered" version of the Challenger used in the original Vanishing Point would you restore it? Or the '68 Charger that was used in Bullitt - not the garage launched one ;D. The one with the stove in front fender, crushed quarter panel and such. What would a regular 1968 Charger R/T be valued at as comapred to it?
Would you correct the factory flaws in a pilot car to reflect the actual production methods of later in the same model year?
There are those that actually sell off the known cars as they cannot afford or no longer want to try to maintain the chunk of history they have.

CFMopar

1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

41husk

I guess that is the same as having a survivor,  I have a friend with a 73 cuda survivor he goes with me to all the local shows and often is overlooked because of some scratches and door dings, driver side seat stitching starting to come out and some pitting on the bumper.  Would you restore this car?  It will never be a survivor again if you do.  I guess it is all personal preferance and if you own it you have purchased the right to do with it what you want.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

Tough call for me, I'd want to do both. Like 6PK says, it's got a small history behind it so leaving that way is neat. I'd also love to have a clean Daytona, replica or not, so part of me would like it finished. Maybe you could keep it that way for a few years, document the heck out of it with pics, videos & then maybe later restore it?   :shruggy:

Having that one and a nice one together would solve the problem, but ultimately I would probably finish it as a nice replica since I could never afford 2.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Drache

Don't forget about the guy restoring the Blade Charger!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

MyMopar

Restore and drive it.  Document it if you like but in all honesty, the movie wasn't a big hit and people aren't going around saying" Gee I think I want to make a Joe Dirt Daytona Clone" like they are saying I want a General Lee, Elanor, or Bullitt.  Depending on the mark up of the movie hype, it may not be worth buying at all.   It isn't a real Daytona, just a clone.

mustanghater

How much did he pay for it? in mcg they said he paid $10,000 for it.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Lowprofile

The History is the Car, not the dumb ass movie! :icon_smile_shock:

So yes, I would Restore or Resto-Mod [if thats what you like] the car. Who cares about the movie.....it sucked. :yesnod:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Old Moparz

Quote from: Lowprofile on August 23, 2005, 06:44:38 PM
The History is the Car, not the dumb ass movie! :icon_smile_shock:

So yes, I would Restore or Resto-Mod [if thats what you like] the car. Who cares about the movie.....it sucked. :yesnod:

Yeah, the movie sucked & I don't like David Spade, but it's one of those movies that's so bad it's actually good. Kind of like the first Airplane movie with all the cliche's they used from old movies.

I have to scan it, but when that Daytona was first sold it showed up at Chryslers at Carlisle. I took a bunch of pics & spoke to the owner who was pretty cool. He said I could go sit in it & check out the inside, so I did. He offered to take a pic of me in it with my camera, but I decided to take pictures of my daughter in it instead. She was about 3 or 4 at the time, but loved it & laughed at the chain steering wheel & fur inside. The foot shaped gas pedal was a hit too.

Now that I think about it, I'd have to leave it the way it is so when I get old & senile I'll have something to remind me of when she was a kid. That & another memory of an unfinished project of mine.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69bananabeast

leave it until the movie fades away more or just sell   and get another to restore
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Silver R/T

coouldnt go wrong by restoring it, I dont really care for "movie car" look. Its style and performance of the car that I want to drive
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

I'd keep it the way it is for a while and then restore it. Maybe take it to a few shows for the next couple years and then put it back to the way it was. It's not as if Joe Dirt is a monument to cinematic quality and it's not much of a Mopar cult classic the way Bullitt is. Actually I don't believe there would be much to restore on the car because all the rust and damage is fake. It was basically a restored car to begin with if you look at the engine comp.

Charger_Croatia

'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

tomonty

I would put my ripped off flannel on and grow a mullet and drive the car around the country yelling "IS THIS WHERE YOU WANT TO BE WHEN JESUS COMES BACK!!"  YEEE-HAAAW

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

JimShine

I would leave it. It is kind of cool outside of the movie. It looks like it belongs in Cars in Barns, but it doesn't need a thing. Just get in and drive. It also shows a Charger/Daytona is a beautiful car in its own right. How many cars look good be they rot boxes, primered, or even disassembled?

THE CHARGER PUNK

speaking of clone has anyone ever made a bullitt clone?-MATT

Tom_440

I'd take lots of pics and videos for BOTH the movie fans, then finish the "clone" and drive it everywhere!

69RealGL

Hey

Leave it , its Joe Dirts Daytona   .

You like to see homo's naked  ,what ever man .

K.c 

1968 Charger B5

movie was awesome, i personally might leave car alone for ahiwle and drive it....im suire though i would restore it jsut cause it looks dirty...but hey its still a daytona not matter what it looks like
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT