News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone install the repro map pocket corner trim on their door panels?

Started by Dennis K, October 08, 2006, 02:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis K

Just curious how the new ones go on. It looks like the originals had the mounting pin flattened down like a rivet. Do the repro parts have a mounting pin on them that I could thread a speed nut on, and if so, would I need to drill a hole in the door to allow for the stud? Thanks.

Just 6T9 CHGR

If your car didnt have them originally (like mine didnt) you will have to cut out the fiber backing of the door panel to have enough space to put the supplied speed nut onto the stud.

I just cut a square bigger than the speed nut at each stud down to the vinyl covering & attached the speed nut to secure it into place.

The repros have a stud that acceps the supplied speed nut
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

johntpr

Both my 69's have original front door panels and don't have these corner pieces either..wonder why some did and some didn't.

JimShine

My 1968 has them, but the 69 doesn't. I often wondered if they were an SE item in 69 and standard in 68.

Just 6T9 CHGR

They were a 68 only item.....  SE option did not matter
although they did make it into the 69 brochure along with a lot of other 68 items......

See if you can pick 'em out ;)

There are 5 '68 items in the pics.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dennis K

Apparently not all 68s got them, either. My driver's side door panel is in good shape, but I had to buy a better one for the other side, so I got a mint used one from Paul Slater a few years ago, and even though it is a 68 door panel, it doesn't have the corner trim, so I have to put them on to match the drivers side. Thanks for the advice on how to do it. I counted 8 68 items in the 69 sales brochure. Did I miss anything?

Just 6T9 CHGR

8 in the whole brochure or in that pic I posted?

In the pic I only counted 5 :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dennis K

I counted  8 in just the pic you posted.
1. dash pad
2. heater controls
3. chrome shifter knob
4. bullseye medallion on instrument panel
5. slide-down ash tray door
6. headlight frames under doors
7. map pocket trim
8. headlight switch, indicated by the fact that in the one pic the headlights are on but the front parking lights are off, which was a 68 feature, in 69 the parking lights stayed on with the headlights on.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Kewl...I didnt know about the headlight thing for the 68's

The chrome shift knob came on the 69's as well so take that one off...

I forgot since there is a 68 dash in there that the heat controls might be different as well..

So 7 total?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

Man you guys are good,  :P
how'd ya' know the ashtray's a slide down?..
BTW ive never seen the pocket trim or noticed anyhow...

JimShine

The slide down style is padded, not all painted metal.

Yeah, in 68 the parking lights go off when the headlights go on. But I guess it is possible earliest 69 cars were like that too. I have read the earliest 69 cars with the 68 style shifters still had the backup light switch on the shifter, 68 style and the relocation to the transmission happened when they went to woodgrain. I guess it is quite possible they revamped the whole wire harness at that time and made it so the parking lights came on. It would be interesting to check those features on the early car survivors.

68mmcharger

My 68 was missing the Heater/AC controls when I got it. What is the difference between 68 and 69 controls?

JimShine

Here you see the 1968 and 1969 standard style.

I am not sure, but I think my 1970 Coronet AC changer has the controls labeled on the levers and the 68 cars had an illuminated area with all of the lettering.

resq302

Interesting, I never knew there was a difference between the heater controls and a slide down ash tray compared to my 69.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

JimShine

The 68 ashtray is cool because it works differently than expected. I don't smoke, so its no problem. But I can see if I did smoke, it was a poor design. The cigarette would lay on the door and stick straight into the ashtray. You would have to insert the ciggie into the slot and tap it to knock the ash off. If the butt rolled wrong, it would burn the pad. It also looks like a cigarette would fall out on the floor easier as well. I assume that is why they changed to the standard metal pivot style. It opened up and exposed ash tray to knock the ash in and gave lots more area to support the cigarette.

dkn1997

here comes my hijack!!!

My 68 does not have teh bullseye medallion, it has a medallion, but it's that traignle looking dodge symbol.  my car was built June 1st of 68.  It was very unmolested when I got it and that medallion was always there.

is it factory, or did someone put one in from a coronet or another year charger?
RECHRGED

JimShine

They alternated between the fratzog (triangle) and the Bullseye at the same time. I think some of us have attempted to figure out if it signified something, but I think that is a dead end road. There is an R/T style too, but I hear that they were used on Coronets. Not sure if that is true or not. It would be cool to hash that all out.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: JimShine on October 13, 2006, 10:15:42 AM
They alternated between the fratzog (triangle) and the Bullseye at the same time. I think some of us have attempted to figure out if it signified something, but I think that is a dead end road. There is an R/T style too, but I hear that they were used on Coronets. Not sure if that is true or not. It would be cool to hash that all out.

The R/T medallion was used on 68 Coronet R/T's only.........I added one to my car just because ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dkn1997

where did you get that R/T medallion, I would like to add that to my 68, f that f'ing Fratzog!!!

also, I don't have the corner trim pieces on my map pockets either, definately original, intouched door panels.
RECHRGED

Brock Samson

Just 6T9 CHGR

I am......those are "stock" pieces ;)

I got the emblem NOS about 8 years ago for $25....

an NOS one just sold on eBay for $250!

Someone is making them repro though......8WHEELER bought one
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RDR838

Quote from: Dennis K on October 08, 2006, 02:35:13 PM
anyone install the repro map pocket corner trim on their door panels?

Where can I get those? Haven't seen them yet! I installed my repro door trim w/o the corner trim because I didn't figure out how to attach the originals!

Thank you!

RDR838

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Dennis K on October 10, 2006, 08:39:55 AM
I counted  8 in just the pic you posted.
1. dash pad
2. heater controls
3. chrome shifter knob
4. bullseye medallion on instrument panel
5. slide-down ash tray door
6. headlight frames under doors
7. map pocket trim
8. headlight switch, indicated by the fact that in the one pic the headlights are on but the front parking lights are off, which was a 68 feature, in 69 the parking lights stayed on with the headlights on.

this thread is coming allong nice with this, even is a nice example of highjack LOL...

what about dash pad ?

aren't 68 heater/AC buttons labeled, and 69/70s with the lettering tab ?

Parking light stuff is a wiring diff, not switch diff. Switch itself is the same on 68/70s... we already discovered that recently. There is a thread about where I analized the wiring.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ryan

my 69 had them on the original door panels, it also had the old style ash tray, must have been an early production car.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Ghoste

Was the parking light thing not a federally mandated change?