News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW 68 Charger R/T 440, 4 speed, #'s matching

Started by OldGuy, October 07, 2006, 10:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGuy

Okay – I would like your input on what you think the car is worth (as is) to see if we got screwed on the price.  It is a 68 Charger R/T, 440, 4 speed as indicated below on the fender tag.  All numbers match – original engine, 4 speed tranny and Dana 60 rear-end.  It has been sitting in the same spot for over 25 years.  It has 71,671 miles on it.  We were told that the reason the engine was torn down was because someone stopped by and tried to steal parts off of it.  We have all the original parts – heads, intake manifold, carburetor, steering wheel, etc.  The only things that we can tell are missing are the back seat, radiator, jack and spare tire.  The only body damage is the driver's side front fender and it looks like he backed into a pole.  There is a little rust behind the rear wheels on the lower rear quarters.  A couple of rust holes in the trunk but the floor pans are solid.  All the frame rails are solid.  There is surface rust underneath but nothing rotting through.  The red color on the body is not rust but the primer paint.  The surface rust on the body is darker brown.  All the chrome is present and accounted for and the only damage to any of the glass is a couple of dings in the windshield.

XS29: Charger R/T
83: 440 Magnum
3: 4 Speed Manual
44: F70x14 Redline Steel Belted Tires
604: Built June 4th, 1968
203491: Vechicle Shipping #

25: Drip Rail Moulding
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings
A6: 3.54 Rear End Ratio
X8: Sure Grip
TC: Charger Trim
R6: Vinyl Bucket Seats
MX: Black Interior
PA: Siver Metallic Roof
NA: Silver Metallic Body
T1: Monotone Paint (One Color)
UB: Black Upper Door Frame Color
B8: Buffed Paint, Only Available With Silver Metallic
S0: Black Tail Stripe

A1: 26" Radiator
D9: Front Disc Brakes
H1: Power Brakes
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
R1: AM Radio
T7: Tic Toc Tach
X1: All Windows Tinted
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

A6: Console
B4: Bucket Seats
M6: Drivers Outside Remote Operated Mirror
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

OldGuy

Front driver's side view.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

OldGuy

Engine bay - the engine is rusty but it is mostly surface rust.  The hood has been on it during the time it was parked.  Of course the engine will have to be rebuilt but it seems the cylinder walls are okay but the piston will definately need to be knocked out.

OldGuy

Dash from driver's side - As indicated, we have the orginal steering wheel and center horn cap.

OldGuy

Driver's side floor pan - rust looks bad but it rained about 2"-3" over the past couple of days.  There are no holes in the floor pans on either side.

OldGuy

OldGuy

whitehatspecial

I'm no expert, but that car is in pretty rough shape. I'd look for something better.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

PocketThunder

I'm no expert either but that baby is mint!  That sucker would easily bring $6000 up here in the rust belt state.  Probably more since its a 4-speed and everything is there.   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

OldGuy

Grill - Grill is almost perfect - no cracks, dings or breaks.  The original headlights are still behind the doors.

terrible one

Quote from: whitehatspecial on October 07, 2006, 10:38:06 PM
I'm no expert, but that car is in pretty rough shape. I'd look for something better.

Seriously man? That car looks real solid to me! And a 440/ 4 spd to boot!

derailed

That looks like a nice find to me. A solid 4 speed RT with the original motor, trans and rearend, disc brakes. Id say its easily an $8-$10k car. Look at what the grill, trans and rearend are worth alone.

FourSpeedRT

Wow!....even the dual point and original air cleaner is there!!.....and the body is seriously clean!.....my guess would be between 6 and 9 thousand. Gotta love them four speeds......

Silver68RT

Wow, great find there.  It's very similar to mine.  I have a silver '68 Charger R/T 440 4-speed with a red interior.  I paid $6000 for it this spring.  Yours is a lot more complete, though.  Mine's missing the fender tag and build sheet, original engine, and trans, though it does still have the Dana 60.  It came with a '78 440 and a 727, they'd hacked out the 4-speed hump and cut the core support, and the console was missing.  Other than that, my floor pans, trunk, frame rails, etc are in good shape.  Bubbles in the lower quarters behind the rear wheel openings, probably some bondo.

I paid $750 for a Hemi 4-speed in need of a rebuild.  $1200+ for a new shifter, shift levers, shift rods, Z-bar, etc.  $275 for a bellhousing.  $600 for a '71 steel crank 440.  I'm still trying to find all the console parts, like the top plates and trim.  I also had to buy a 4-speed floor hump section ($100) and a new radiator core support ($300).  That air cleaner is now NS-1, and I saw a guy trying to sell one for $500 on eBay.  Add that up, along with the $1000 it's probably going to cost me to get all the console pieces, and I think you're still better off than I am at $10K.  Matching numbers, plus the fender tag's got to be worth something, too.  Did you find a broadcast sheet?  I'd have probably gone at least $12K on your car, knowing what I know now about trying to piece together one that's missing a lot of stuff.

I'd love to see a picture of your fender tag.

Thanks,

Doug
Silver68RT

no318

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 07, 2006, 10:49:44 PM
I'm no expert either but that baby is mint!  That sucker would easily bring $6000 up here in the rust belt state.  Probably more since its a 4-speed and everything is there.   :yesnod:
I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $6000.  #'s matching 440, 4 speed, Dana.  COOL color combo. Pretty darn solid body.  The console and shifter are decent.  I'd say it is more like a $10k car. 

tan top

Quote from: no318 on October 08, 2006, 05:43:38 AM
I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $6000.  #'s matching 440, 4 speed, Dana.  COOL color combo. Pretty darn solid body.  The console and shifter are decent.  I'd say it is more like a $10k car. 
:iagree:   thats an awesome find  :bow: looks to be all there
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks to be a great starting point in a pretty rare color to boot......what did you pay?

PS---looking at the engine compartment pics you can clearly see why many of our cars rot out in the hood hinge area......no friggin paint!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RT/SE

Great find!!!!!!!   I think that is an easy 10K car.  I would have paid that in a heartbeat for that car.  What a perfect car to start with for a resto.....seems really solid.  The wood wheel in the trunk loods good too!!  Good luck with the project  :2thumbs:

OldGuy

Picture of fender tag for Silver68RT.  Haven't found the build sheet, yet.  I am afraid it was probably behind the back seat that isn't in the car.  We pulled the front buckets and it isn't with either of them.

bull

$6k would be a good deal and $10k would be hard to pay but I'd probably pay it for what it is. IMO it looks pretty solid as far as cancer goes. They pretty much all need quarter panels so that's a wash. The floors look pretty good to me but the trunk is hard to tell with all the junk back there. Is it in good shape?

Looks like a pretty dry climate wherever it was, like Eastern Oregon. Where was it?

TruckDriver

Quote from: tan top on October 08, 2006, 06:08:39 AM
Quote from: no318 on October 08, 2006, 05:43:38 AM
                        :iagree:   thats an awesome find  :bow: looks to be all there
:iagree: :2thumbs: :drool5:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

BigBlockSam

QuoteI'd buy it in a heartbeat for $6000 
:iagree:    i would go as high as $7000. pull that motor send it out to get rebuilt. 906 heads are easy to find. send the body out to get media blasted and your in business. good luck Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

OldGuy

Trunk pan will need to be replaced.  It has rusted through in a couple of spots.  What is surprising is that it looks like the water came into the trunk due to the lack of weatherstripping rather than down from the back window and sail panels.  The trunk side panels are in pretty good shape and there is no rot around where the trunk pan is welded to the wheel wells.

OldGuy

Driver's side trunk lip - looks to be in pretty good shape