News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody Have R/C Vehicles

Started by bordin34, October 07, 2006, 10:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

Does anybody have any? I have 5 land-based vehicles, 1 helicopter, and 1 boat.
HPI Savage 1/8 scale Nitro Powered. 20% Nitromethanol, 12% oils, 68% alcohol 4wd

Traxxas E-Maxx 14.4 volts twin 550 size motors 4wd

Associated TC4 540 size motor 7.2 volts 4wd

2 Associated RC18MT's 370 size motors 7.2 volts 4wd

The other one

MRC Wellcraft Excalibur 40 Hawk, made in the 80's 540 size motor

Venom Night Ranger 3D 370 size motor 10.8 volts

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

greenpigs

I had a RC10 about 10+ years ago but didn't mess with it much and sold it to help fund my 60s car magazine collection.

They are cool and more complex than I had thought they would be. If I get another RC car it will be a gas powered one.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

chargerboy69

I have several. I collect mainly old Kyosho cars from the late 80's. When I was young, I had several and sold them all. Now that I am 30, I am trying to buy them all back. Thank God for a understanding wife.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

I know this thread is old but thought I'd give it life to see if anyone is still around.

I've been in the hobby for 20 years and collect the older Associated stuff. I've also raced them quite successfully on and off over that time period.

Plumcrazy

I fly heli's.

Just ordered a radio system for my Exi 450 clone.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Indygenerallee

I fly RC aircraft, Electric Ducted Fan jets are my favorite!! I have a F-16 and it flies pretty fast 85-90 mph, I have several large Warbirds P-40, P-51 Mustang,
also have a F-4 Phantom although I have never flew it. They are all EPO foam they are super lightweight and can take a amazing amount of abuse, I have flown keychain cameras up around 1000 feet and have got great footage!! I have a complete setup for FPV flight with headsets although I have limited experience with it. You can get into RC aircraft for under $300.00 ready to go. And most all these new Foam RC aircraft look like models and are very detailed with retracts and easily fixable with epoxy if you break something. Go to Nitroplanes.com or bananahobby.com they sell full RTF or ARF kits I fly a Futaba 2.4 GHZ transmitter.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

DC_1

This count

Hudson Hornet !

I have been racing competitive carpe oval for about 17 years.  We run pan cars that are all carbon fiber.  I also collect vintage r/c and just bought a new rc10t2.

As long as we are talking r/c do any of you guys have a Kyosho pro-x  or a losi junior-t ?  I would love to buy one!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

Sounds like you have been doing it a while too Hudson. Have you been to the Snowbirds?

The RC10T2 was my first stadium truck, second to my first rc car which was an RC10 stealth. I also have a handful each of early RC10's through to GT's, T4's and a slew of onroad/pan cars from RC12LW to Bolink's to Parma's, touring cars etc, too many to list.

Although I've never been into Losi's I know where I can get my hands on a JRXT.

Darkman

I've had:

a nitro powered 1/10 4wd monster truck

Losi 8 1/8 nitro powered 4wd buggy

I still have:

2 1/16 brushless electric 4wd buggies

1/5 HPI Baja 2wd 28cc 2-stroke powered beast
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

XH29N0G

RC cars have been a great thing for my 14 year old son, one of his friends, and for me to watch.  He spends hours working, modifying, learning about the particulars.  Has learned important things like they don't steer when the front wheels are not on the ground.  He needs to earn money to buy repair/upgrade parts.  Part of this involves mowing, and the other day I noticed the back yard had a track cut into it (low grass track, high grass not).  He is working on his own frame which he designed and cut from fiberglass.  I don't know if it will work, but it keeps him occupied. 

We took his car for some tests the other day (he either marks out a distance or uses the GPS on his cell phone) and it was running just over 50 mph with his middle set of gears. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

That's exactly how I was when I was younger jfarquha. Always tinkering, rebuilding, trying to make it faster and learning. I think it gave me something to look forward to and kept me out of trouble as a kid. I used to save my lunch money to buy parts. I respected it and took care of it myself unlike many kids today who couldn't care. Same as your son I started to make my own parts, my first semi home made car was a success and quite rewarding. I've enjoyed R/C, still do but also enjoy helping and mentoring others.

b5blue

I have 4 RC helicopters of varying detail and features......I have less than 3 hours flying, about 500 crashes and 20 hours repairing.  :lol: 

:lol:  At least your persistant.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: b5blue on May 30, 2012, 05:27:36 AM
I have 4 RC helicopters of varying detail and features......I have less than 3 hours flying, about 500 crashes and 20 hours repairing.  :lol: 

Climbed any trees to get any of them back yet?   :icon_smile_blackeye:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

PocketThunder

I want to buy an R/C truck for my son for the summer.  This thread got me interested again.  SO i go to CL to see how much they are and here is a Traxxas Emaxx,

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/ele/3034416611.html

If I'm going to sell something on craigslist, the first place I think of when taking the picture of my item is in front of the toilet in the bathroom.  HAHAHA  :lol:

Serious question, how much am i gonna spend on a entry level 4wd for my son?  Something electric so he can recharge it and play with it over and over.  :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bordin34

I just sold my 8-ight-t Truggy about a month ago.
I also made my TC4 Brushless and running on a 3s Lipo. It will spin all four wheels up to 45mph and tops out over 53mph due to gearing.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

XH29N0G

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 30, 2012, 09:33:51 AM
I want to buy an R/C truck for my son for the summer.  This thread got me interested again.  SO i go to CL to see how much they are and here is a Traxxas Emaxx,

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/ele/3034416611.html

If I’m going to sell something on craigslist, the first place I think of when taking the picture of my item is in front of the toilet in the bathroom.  HAHAHA  :lol:

Serious question, how much am i gonna spend on a entry level 4wd for my son?  Something electric so he can recharge it and play with it over and over.  :shruggy:

An Emaxx is a huge RC, but that is an INSANE deal, but the vehicle requires two batteries, therefore making you wait twice as long to run it again than in a single battery vehicle

Any Traxxas vehicles have tons of aftermarket support and are fairly durable, but they are not the only option.
I, Jfarquha's son, started out with a traxxas rustler 2wd, and it was fairly easy to work on,

HPI also makes good trucks, but the wheely king is reported to be not that durable, and I hear that the Apache SC has a drivetrain/axle problem.

But, for a 4wd electric vehicle, NEW, expect to spend between $350 and 700, and Used, would be betweeen 200 and 500,

My friend has a Slash 4x4 (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_1785/products_id/155877/n/Traxxas-Slash-4X4-Brushless-1-10-Scale-Electric-4WD-Short-Course-Truck--w-TQi-24GHz-Radio)

And it has held up well, and you can get them for farily cheap USED, when compared to NEW

you can also find more info on any truck, or other people's reccomendations on ultimaterc.com/forums, and choose "Which RC for Me"
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

TK73

COOL

Yet another hobby I can't start... money needs to go to current hobbies...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

PocketThunder, make sure you get a quality vehicle. The same rings true with you get what you pay for. Jfarquhas son is pretty much on the money, anything Traxxas is pretty good and durable for the money. Anything from name brand companies such as Associated, Losi, HPI, Traxxas, Duratrax etc would be a good choice.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 440 on May 31, 2012, 07:39:39 AM
PocketThunder, make sure you get a quality vehicle. The same rings true with you get what you pay for. Jfarquhas son is pretty much on the money, anything Traxxas is pretty good and durable for the money. Anything from name brand companies such as Associated, Losi, HPI, Traxxas, Duratrax etc would be a good choice.

Thats what i'm seeing.  But i can also see this R/C hobby turning into a minature version of owning a money pit old Charger....  :lol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

When i was a kid growing up in the 80's, all i wanted was a turbo hopper.... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Ha ha, talk about memories. I had a Nikko Turbo Panther as a child. I used to chase seagulls on the Santa Cruz wharf with it.

PocketThunder

I found it!  This was my first and only R/C truck when i was a kid.  I lived out in rural Wisconsin and i got a job mowing the neighbors lawn down the road.  This was out in the country and it was a farm yard so i mowed about 3 acres of lawn.  It took me 3-4 hours or it at least felt like it and i would net a cool $7 each week.  I mowed all summer long and saved and saved and finally had enough to buy this truck and one set of batteries for it.  I got home from radio shack and put those alkaline batteries in it and i drove it all day long till the batteries wore out.  Then it sat on the shelf in my room for 2 more weeks till i could save up more money to buy batteries. 
The next summer it took me all summer long to save up enough money to buy rechargable batteries and a charger.  That cost just as much as the truck did the year before.  But now i was set.  I could drive it all day long and charge the batteries all night.  The truck is long gone but that thing was my pride and joy since i worked my ass off for it.  I had the blue one.

:o Talk about another trip. I have the yellow one sitting on a shelf in the lounge. It's missing the remote, I bought it at a Salvation Army because I have a big F-150 and it was only like $2. I'll snap a photo tomorrow.