News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

disc brake swap

Started by charger01, October 13, 2006, 12:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

My 69 charger is equipped with 4 wheel power drum brakes.  Iam considering installing the front discs off of a 70 charger.  What all do I need to change for a proper swap?

Steve P.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but do a search. This topic is hit hard every month..  :yesnod:  It would take all night to type it all up again...

:cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Chatt69chgr

There is more info and ideas on this subject than about any other.  Several ways to approach this.  One is to buy the caliper adapters that have become available that bolt directly to your existing 69 spindles and use the calipers that are recommended for this swap.  Don't know right off who makes this adapter but it is advertised in all the MOPAR magazines.   You said you were getting a disc setup off a 70 charger.  Not sure but would think this spindle would use the smaller inner wheel bearing.  I think MOPAR went to a bigger bearing in 73.  If you decided to go with the 70 spindle, then you would just use that spindle/caliper assembly and the master and proportioning valve off the 70.  If you decided to go with the larger bearing spindle, then you would either use the one off a 73-76 A-Body (exact same steering geometry) or one off an F body which is 5/8 inch taller.  See Big Block Dart website for discussion on this.  It says the F body spindle is superior.  Not sure what wheels you are using but if they are 14 inch, you would have to use the smaller rotor.  If you have bigger wheels, then you can use the larger 11-3/4 inch "police" rotor.  Obviously, you have to have the right caliper adapter and have to choose between sliders or pin type.  You didn't say if you were getting the master and proportioning valve off the 70.  Would probably just buy a new master.  The 70 came with a 1/1/8 inch bore master and the best I can determine, the lines came off the fender side.  Never have been able to nail this down.  Some sites say they came off the engine side.  Looks to me like they would get in the way of the manifold, etc., coming off that side.  In any case, these 4-bolt masters are available rebuilt or new.  The one you have will not work.  The disc/drum type has one reservoir larger than the other one and uses a bail type cover.  Note that on 69, the whole booster/master was painted gloss black----including the master cover.  You will need to do something about the proportioning valve.  The 69 had a distribution block with a switch in it.  You need a combination valve.  MOPAR used brass units up to 73 and then went to a cast iron piece.  The cast iron piece is available as a reproduction.  The brass unit from MOPAR is only available from junkyards.  Can get a compatible unit from a place in Asheville, NC called Pirate something or other.  Look at recent discussions on the Big Block Dart site about proportioning valves and it will lead you to the Pirate website.  The PV-2 valve from them is $57.  It recommends that you need a 10 pound hold off valve going to the rear.  I have read that you don't need this as all new rebuilding kits for the rear wheel cylinders have cup expanders.  Would like if someone would confirm that this is true.  I think the power booster you have would be the same.  Supposed to be a Bendix dual diaphram unit.  I think you will just have to wing it on the brake lines to the front calipers.  Your sway bar on the 69 will interfere with front mounted calipers so you will have to swap sides with the spindles/calipers so as to rear mount the calipers unless you buy an aftermarket swaybar.  Make sure the bleeder screws on the calipers are mounted "up".  And the rotors big or small are available from Wagner as new USA made units from Oreilly. 

Brock Samson

Jeeze MAN!!  ain't you ever hear of a paragraph!?..  ;D

Chatt69chgr

My english teacher used to get after me about that too.  Once I get started hard to stop.

charger01

Paragraph or no paragraph, good info.  thank you. :icon_smile_cool:

MorePwr

I know someone els is thinking this.....Out of 800 or so words, I only count one or two grammatical errors (aside from paragraphing)

And then I count three errors, in only 8 words. :scratchchin:

Great info, chat69. Thanks.

Shakey

Quote from: MorePwr on October 20, 2006, 01:02:15 AM
I know someone els is thinking this.....Out of 800 or so words, I only count one or two grammatical errors (aside from paragraphing)

:smilielol:

charger01

Quote from: MorePwr on October 20, 2006, 01:02:15 AM

Yes, but My words are all spelled correctly. els=else   ;D

charger01

MorePwr

The post was for brock, but thank you for the correction ;)

Brock Samson

glad to know you'r paying such close attention.  ;)