News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cold Air Intake

Started by GoodCharger, September 29, 2006, 02:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodCharger

I have bought my first charger 06 Hemi.  I am just now really getting into cars and learning about them.  I am considering installing a cold air intake, one brand better than the other? Is the increase in HP really noticeably?

dodge freak

This site is most about the 'old' chargers not too much on these new ones, but they are going to be "old" one day too so welcome aboard.

I would call Summit Racing and Jegs and see what all is available. In a few years there should be more stuff then today. A cold air-I think-won't make too much difference unless you can reprogram the computer to take avantage of it. Not sure what gears it has in back or what you can get but thats worth looking in to as well. Good Luck and if you get tried of it get a real Charger :yesnod:

RD

Quote from: GoodCharger on September 29, 2006, 02:55:46 PM
I have bought my first charger 06 Hemi.  I am just now really getting into cars and learning about them.  I am considering installing a cold air intake, one brand better than the other? Is the increase in HP really noticeably?

I am sure K&N has what you are looking for.  Again, call the above parts stores and comparatively shop.  The horsepower difference is not so noticeable, but the more air that gets to your engine, the more efficient the motor is and the less it has to work to maintain its current power levels.  Its a win/win situation either way.

If you are in Kommiefornia, make sure you check with CARB to see if the add on is emissions legal.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

daytonalo

We should make this site for 2 DOORS ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :flame:

74340charger

easy big fella, a charger is a charger. If we want it for 2 doors only, can I start posting ? about my little sunfire?

daytonalo

2 door mopar only , cut me a break  :icon_smile_evil:

74340charger

I know, I'm just f'en with you. I wouldn't buy the new charger my self. Unless the wife wanted it for her driver. I tested one, it flat out moved, but the extra doors, navigation system, and absolute no possible way I can get a manuel with it turned me off.

Mean 318

RD

i think we need to just let this whole "its a 4 door charger" stuff go.

the guy asked a question, legitimate one at that.  it is just neighborly of us to help him out with a solution.

i have to admit, the new chargers have grown on me.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

daytonalo

Your right , that was out of line . You could make a cold air intake in place of those  extra doors those cars have !

myk

Cold air intakes like those K&N deals don't really make that much of a difference-we're talking 5 or so HP at the most.  If you really want to maximize your CAI (cold-air-intake) you'll need to complement that with exhaust and other bolt-on upgrades; by itself, not worth the $2-300 bucks...

Ghoste

I wouldn't be surprised if your Dodge dealer already has an accessories catalog for it that has items exactly like you seek.

Chryco Psycho

I am looking into this for a customer , there is supposed to be an air box to connect to the hood scoop on the SRT model Chargers

myk

Can't be any different from Pontiac's "Ram-Air" system on the later TA's.  Those were proven to add like, 7 HP at 80 mph or 5-6K rpm...

GoodCharger

Thanks for the response...I was wondering if I would get any guff about having the new charger, it's all good.  I like this site and I am picking up some good information.

RD

Quote from: GoodCharger on October 03, 2006, 07:35:56 AM
Thanks for the response...I was wondering if I would get any guff about having the new charger, it's all good.  I like this site and I am picking up some good information.

thats good... i am glad you are the one being adult about it :D :D

now the new chargers and the old chargers have about nothing in common, except they both have internal combustion motors, but if you need assistance in anything, i am sure that SOME of us are willing to help you.  Afterall, we all do not work on ol' mopars all the time, I work on the newer stuff also.

good luck!

grouseman

I've also read they're not worth the expense.  Your engine most likely already has a fresh air intake.  My '80 Chrysler had it, I'm guessing your '06 Charger will as well. 

GoManGo

I've just bought an 06 Charger R/T Daytona with a Mopar Cold Air Intake added.  The sales person said it probably added 5-10 HP.  Not sure.  With 350 HP stock, what's another 5 or 10!!!  Just starting to learn about the car.

myk

Keep in mind that you won't see those extra ponies until very high speeds and rpm's...

nick_iam

if i could afford a new charger, id drive it with glee. wont replace my 72, but hell. its a dodge charger and its still quite mean. but whats this it doesnt come with a manual trans? u serious? omfg im gonna freakout.. :o   thats just downright absurd!
'72 charger | 318 | auto - work in progress

Lord Warlock

Check out the K&N FIPK kit, you may also want to look at the C&L performance kits, UPR, Steeda and various other companies make them, and they all add a little power, some more than others, none enough to impress me though.  I don't believe claims of 20hp from an air filter swap.  K&N kits are well designed and do offer better breathing.  I've got one on my turbo stealth, and plan on one for the 04 cobra. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Charger74

For those complaining about the lack of manual for these, check out the newest Mopar Action (I think).  Keisler is coming out with a complete bolt-in place 6-speed manual kit.  It is a viper based tranny.  From what I read, it works great but the lack luster rear gear (apparently 3.09) hurts it a lot.  They said them and a couple other companies are looking to create new gears for the MB rearends. Like 3.73 - 4.10s.  The person who tested it said it ran very smooth and the shifter looked like it was factory installed.  Apparently the only cutting you have to do is to the tranny hump for the shifter.