News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can't find the turn signal flasher :(

Started by AWSOM50, September 27, 2006, 06:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSOM50

I have stripped most of the dash to restore it, but I need to change the turn signal flasher.  I have read other threads on this forum saying its near the ash tray, but I can't find it to save my life.

I have a new flasher so I know what I'm looking for, but I can't see it anywhere.

Can anyone tell me on this pic of my interior roughly where abouts it should be?

thanks

'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

bluesfool

it should be just right of the ashtray...probably just lying on the lower ledge of the dash. If you're having that much trouble finding it, are you sure it's not already disconnected/removed? If so, look for a connector that looks lonely. You should be able to see it just by looking in where the glove compartment door used to be.

AWSOM50

OK I had a look to the right.  All I can find is a 3 prong square relay type thing.  But I thought the turn signal flasher was 2 prong?

I can also find the ignition light relay to the left of the ashtray.

Here is a pic of what I found to the right of the ashtray, and also the turn signal flasher that I bought.

'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

AWSOM50

PS the turn signals used to work when I bought the car so it must have one somewhere

thanks
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

DC_1

I has a hard time finding mine too.....it was drirectly to the right of the steering column sitting on the lip of the back of the dash....i kept looking arounf the ashtray as everyone else suggeted but couldn't find it there.

DC_1

here is where mine was

AWSOM50

guys i found it, thank you.

It was on the left of the dash under the clock.  But it was wrapped up in black electrical tape so I couldn't see it.

So I just changed it, and now I can indicate right but not left.  It clicks when I flick the switch left, but no flashing!  I have tried 3 flashing units... any ideas? :(
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

DC_1

i had to replace the turn signal switch in the steering wheel.......that solved my problem

AWSOM50

but it clicks when I indicate left..  if it was the switch in the wheel it wouldn't click would it?  ???
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

DC_1

if it lights up but no flashing I would say flasher issue.....but since you changed it and continue ot have the same prob I am not sure......does the hazzards work?......if they do I would sau the turn signal flasher again.

AWSOM50

it doesn't light up at all when i signal left.  I hear the relay clicking away, but none of the lights come on.

The hazzards don't work and never have done since I got it.  It just clicks away but nothing lights up.
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

DC_1

if you have right signals but no left and you hear the clicking I would say it is a wiring problem.....the feed to the left side must me shorted somewhere. Do you have a wiring diagram?....it could be something as simple as a bad connection somewhere with one of the plugs. I would get a wireing diagram and a test light with a sharp point and start probing to find out where you are loosing the connection...I know it sounds like finding a needle in a hay stack but with a wiring diagram, test light and an hour you should be able ot locate the problem.

AWSOM50

Thanks, that makes sense.  I'll give it a shot
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

bluesfool

You're not just checking the turns signals by the dash light are you? When you looked for the left side, you checked all exterior front and rear lights, right? If not, it could be something as simple as a burnt bulb in the dash.

AWSOM50

bluesfool, thanks.  But yes I am checking all the bulbs.

well I made some progress (sorta).  I found out that both turn signals work fine when the key is on one click.  But when I turn the engine on fully then only the right one works.

Any ideas what is wrong?
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

AWSOM50

this is the diagram I'm looking at.  I honestly can't figure out how it can work with the key on one click but not with the engine going.

'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

DC_1

ok....I just probed the connector from the turnsignal switch that is at the bottom of the steering column......when you turn on the left turn signal both the light green and dark green wires flash......probe those 2 with the key in the run position.

AWSOM50

Sydmoe, thank you for all your help.

I probed most of the circuit and I was getting voltage all the way.  So I started her up again and tried the signals and  magically they worked.

So I guess it was just a loose connection somewhere after all.
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

DC_1