News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body Lines on My Front Fender

Started by 68mmcharger, September 27, 2006, 08:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68mmcharger

After many hours of hammer and dolly work on this front fender it is much better off than it was but the body line needs to be more distinct. Not being a body guy I was wondering how to work this line from behind to make it clearer.  I know I can use filler on the outside and clean it by block sanding but I would like to minimize the amount of filler. I have heard of people using a wide bladed chisel but seems like it would be hard to get a smooth line down the entire fender. Is there some sort of tool with a V shaped roller on it that can be used to work this line? What do you guys use?

Oh bye the way - the white streaks are deruster that ran down the rattle can primer put on it to prevent flash rusting. It will all come off when ready to paint.

daytonalo

What I do first, strip to bare metal to see what you have , then you can work that line only after its mounted on car so you can look down the side to eyeball the line up . If the car was smashed in that area is one thing , if only that line needs to be worked in depending on how bad its off it can put back in with filler or sanded out in the surfacer

bill440rt

That line is pretty hard to work out of straight metal. If you're a very experienced metal person, it can be done. Using a chisel I think would be tough, if it's only off by even a little you're screwed. The line is not supposed to be too sharp, it's actually very slight.

I used a sprayable body filler product by Standox called Spritz Plastic. You need a gun with a big tip, at least 2.0 or larger. It's thick stuff. After doing my polyester filler work, I sprayed this stuff on, 2 coats did the trick. I then gave it a guide coat, & used masking tape down the side of the car to enhance my body line & give me an edge to block to. I thne gave it 2-3 coats of a high build primer, I used Uro-Fill by Evercoat.
It made the line on my car very crisp, & I will tone it down a bit during the final blocking. I'd much rather try to tone down a sharp, crisp line than try to make one in the final blocking.
Hope this info helps, & good luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

68mmcharger

Nice lines...Sounds like the best way to work it is on the car with combinations of fillers and primers.

Thanks for the feed back!