News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gunman in colorado kills one high school girl

Started by RD, September 27, 2006, 10:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

...then kills himself.

man... what a tragedy.  this stuff is getting totally out of control.  what in the HELL causes wacko's to want to do this type of violence?  I do not get it.

your thoughts?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Brock Samson

common RD you know from Biblical study the word is a wicked place...

dodge freak

Like to know what the big rush was for the SWAT team to storm the building at 4 pm ? He said he was going to hurt the 2 girls if they came in and thats what happen. Thank god at least 1 was ok but what about the other one ? He would had passed out after a long time-he was by himself. He had 6 girls at first and released 4 of them so he was letting them go slowly. Even if he was rapping them or threatening to do so, it still was better than what happen. Now a 16 year old girl is dead, he did not shoot her until after the SWAT team moved in. In fact nobody was shot until the SWAT team moved in. Great job guys, you saved 1 out of 3 lives. How long did the SWAT team wait 3-5 hours ? Wow, what happen to the 12-20 hour stand offs ? Too much work ? Quiting time, needed to go home and eat dinner I guess.

Yes it was the gunman fault in the first place , but the police should not make the problem worst. Nobody was shot, there was no rush-they should have waited-at least till night time. They could have cut the power and it would have been dark in there. The police have night vision googlies which they could have seen in the dark.

TruckDriver

It is sad. Unfortunely the other girl will never be the same again. The mental trama will change her for ever. :'(  I have nightmares because I worry about something like this happening to one of my boys.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Shakey

This kind of thing has been going on for years and will continue, unfortunately!   :rotz:

With the media the way it is, all around us 24 / 7, more and more young people see this as a way of getting attention, even if it means giving their own life for it!   :yesnod:

It won't be long before it happens again and again and again.   :yesnod:

It would be insteresting to see what his home life was like.  Imagine hidden cameras with audio all throughout his home, so we could all see what life was like for the past year or so?   :scratchchin:

I say this because I'd like to see how his parents treated him and his siblings, how he treated his parents and his siblings or if there were any signs of this coming.

What drives a young person to do this type of thing?

dodge freak

Some of these young people belong to Vampire Freaks, a web site like this but they have 638,000 members compare to our 2,900 ! The gunman from the Montreal shooting was a member and he was on line everyday saying how he hates everthing like work, people, sports. I look at it afterwards and theres a bunch of kids saying the samething --I love blood, I hate most people. They take pictures of themselves looking crazy like and the members vote on who looks badest. Even lots of girls are on it saying the same things. Yes we have free speech but why not say its like guns or tobacco and have a age limit at least. Theres kids 13 years old on it. All its doing is telling the kids its fine to hate the world.

Shakey

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 08:27:52 AM
Some of these young people belong to Vampire Freaks, a web site like this but they have 638,000 members compare to our 2,900 ! The gunman from the Montreal shooting was a member and he was on line everyday saying how he hates everthing like work, people, sports. I look at it afterwards and theres a bunch of kids saying the samething --I love blood, I hate most people. They take pictures of themselves looking crazy like and the members vote on who looks badest. Even lots of girls are on it saying the same things. Yes we have free speech but why not say its like guns or tobacco and have a age limit at least. Theres kids 13 years old on it. All its doing is telling the kids its fine to hate the world.

It is OK to hate the world - just don't take your anger out on anyone!  That's the crime.

I say keep the vampire site  (http://vampirefreaks.com/) up and running and have the authorities investigate the serious ones.  I am sure there are numerous members that are potential threats on that site but there are probably waaaay more members that just wanna hang out and get some attention.

Kinda like this site.  We have 2800 + members and a lot of these members don't have a Charger, have never driven a Charger and have no interest in restoring a Charger, but simply enjoy hanging out here because we all share the same passion for the car and they lack attention at home.   

PocketThunder

Sex.  I vote for sex being the issue with this guy.  he wasnt getting any or at one time his high school girlfriend was screwing his roommate or cheated on him or something and now hes gonna get some no matter what it takes. :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

they just said on the tv he was 57 years old,... molested the poor girls too...  :rotz:
"Mad" too I'll wager...

dodge freak

I seen he was 53 years old and did mess around with some of the girls. So its was not some young punk that could not get any p----. Why he did what he did who the heck knows. All I do know is that when I was in high school in the 70's this crap never happen. Why it is now, who knows. All we had was dumb fire drills now and then. Glad I am not a high schooler today.

Shakey

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 11:04:58 AM
I seen he was 53 years old and did mess around with some of the girls. So its was not some young punk that could not get any p----. Why he did what he did who the heck knows. All I do know is that when I was in high school in the 70's this crap never happen. Why it is now, who knows. All we had was dumb fire drills now and then. Glad I am not a high schooler today.

Actually Dodge Freak, this kinda stuff did happen in the '70's.  We just never heard about it because we didn't have 24 / 7 news shows like "The Situation Room" or "Nancy Grace - How Can I Get Ratings While Making You Re-Live Your Tragedy".  The www was not around back then and the newspapers didn't pick up stories such as this.  It was just another murder as far as they were concerned.

From the land of milk and honey, where we throw flowers over our shoulders as we skip along cobblestone paths to work each day, I found this:

• October 1978: A 17-year-old student shoots a 16-year-old to death at Sturgeon Creek Regional Secondary School in Winnipeg, allegedly for ridiculing the rock group Kiss. He is found not guilty of first-degree murder by reason of insanity.

• 1975: 18-year-old Robert Poulin, donning military fatigues and carrying his sawed-off shotgun, killed one and injured five others at Saint Pius X High School in Ottawa before turning the gun on himself. Before leaving for the school, Poulin had stabbed and raped a 17-year-old friend, Kim Rabot, and set fire to her body in his bed.

• 1975: Michael Slobodian 16, killed a teacher and student and wounded 13 others at Centennial Secondary School in Brampton, Ont., before killing himself.

Did you know that they used to give away real handguns in Cracker Jack up here in the '70's?   :yesnod: 

BTW - CNN says the guy in CO yesterday was 54!   :shruggy:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Shakey on September 28, 2006, 11:38:43 AM

• October 1978: A 17-year-old student shoots a 16-year-old to death at Sturgeon Creek Regional Secondary School in Winnipeg, allegedly for ridiculing the rock group Kiss . He is found not guilty of first-degree murder by reason of insanity.

hey...you make your bed....

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Shakey

Quote from: MojoJojo Classic ® on September 28, 2006, 11:54:28 AM

• October 1978: A 17-year-old student shoots a 16-year-old to death at Sturgeon Creek Regional Secondary School in Winnipeg, allegedly for ridiculing the rock group Kiss . He is found not guilty of first-degree murder by reason of insanity.

hey...you make your bed....

Keyword Mojo - allegedly!

I think there may have been some communication breakdown and the one feller said to the other feller with a French accent "I don't like kiss with you"!

dodge freak

There were not mass killings at post offices, other work places. All the shooting which many people have been shot and killed have happen in the late 80's and up. I hear it could be these anti-depression drugs or sleeping pills that can cause people to flip out easier. What ever something is differenet today then in the past. You would think after 9/11 people would value life more but it has not.

MichaelRW

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 12:35:15 PM
There were not mass killings at post offices, other work places. All the shooting which many people have been shot and killed have happen in the late 80's and up. I hear it could be these anti-depression drugs or sleeping pills that can cause people to flip out easier. What ever something is differenet today then in the past. You would think after 9/11 people would value life more but it has not.

I think today's society and media have quite a bit of influence with these nut jobs. There are so many sources for violence, sex, deviant behaviour, etc. that simply wasn't available 20 years ago or so.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

B5 Charger

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 03:10:34 AM
Like to know what the big rush was for the SWAT team to storm the building at 4 pm ? He said he was going to hurt the 2 girls if they came in and thats what happen. Thank god at least 1 was ok but what about the other one ? He would had passed out after a long time-he was by himself. He had 6 girls at first and released 4 of them so he was letting them go slowly. Even if he was rapping them or threatening to do so, it still was better than what happen. Now a 16 year old girl is dead, he did not shoot her until after the SWAT team moved in. In fact nobody was shot until the SWAT team moved in. Great job guys, you saved 1 out of 3 lives. How long did the SWAT team wait 3-5 hours ? Wow, what happen to the 12-20 hour stand offs ? Too much work ? Quiting time, needed to go home and eat dinner I guess.

Yes it was the gunman fault in the first place , but the police should not make the problem worst. Nobody was shot, there was no rush-they should have waited-at least till night time. They could have cut the power and it would have been dark in there. The police have night vision googlies which they could have seen in the dark.

He put the Police on a timeline.  For example: "I'm going to kill these girls in ten minutes".  It was sit on your ass and do nothing or do a hostage rescue.  Had they not been put on a timeline I'm sure they would have negotiated longer.  To say that they risked their lives and the lives of those two girls because they needed to get home for dinner is a pretty stupid thing to say.  I'm sure they feel horrible that one girl was killed but I bet the living girls parents are glad they didn't wait around while their daughter was executed.

sunfire69

According to reports from CNN at 3:30 he said things would happen at 4:00 then quite talking to police, they had no apparent choice but to act. They couldn't sit around and wait for him to take the first shot.
Yes they risked their lives,

Charger_Fan

Quote from: MichaelRW on September 28, 2006, 12:40:12 PM

I think today's society and media have quite a bit of influence with these nut jobs. There are so many sources for violence, sex, deviant behaviour, etc. that simply wasn't available 20 years ago or so.
I'd have to agree with this thought. :yesnod:
These days, just the sheer volume of this type of material available to easily twist weak minds into deranged freaks is astounding.  It's scary to think of what's next. :rotz:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Shakey

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 12:35:15 PM

Did you know the first known school violence in North America started in MI way back in 1927?  You're dreaming if you think that mass murder is a product of the '80's.

http://www.columbine-angels.com/other_shootings.htm

About a third of the way down the page you will reach 1966.  Start reading some of those stories and tell me that nothing happened as far as school vionlence is concerned, until 1980.

B5 Charger

This is what was on CNN's website:

Negotiations with the gunman broke down when he began relaying demands through the hostages and then threatened that something would happen at 4 p.m., Wegener said Wednesday.

dodge freak

The fact is nobody was shot even 1 time till the police moved in. This guy was saying stuff like leave me alone, get out of here. So the deadline passed, big deal. People say all sort of stuff. The police jump the gun and 2 out 3 lives were lost. The police had shields and other body shields. They are no hero's in my book. They sound like those guys in that Rambo movie who were told to wait and did not. It was not their kid who was killed either.

Lowprofile

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 03:10:34 AM

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 01:11:05 PM
The fact is nobody was shot even 1 time till the police moved in. This guy was saying stuff like leave me alone, get out of here. So the deadline passed, big deal. People say all sort of stuff. The police jump the gun and 2 out 3 lives were lost. The police had shields and other body shields. They are no hero's in my book. They sound like those guys in that Rambo movie who were told to wait and did not. It was not their kid who was killed either.

Your Ignorance truly astounds me. :rotz: :icon_smile_angry:

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

dodge freak

Why could they have just waited longer ? What about going though the ceiling and trying to look down and take him out. The police set off bombs and rushed in there. They thought the loud bombs would scare him I guess. I don't know what they thought. They had a tank on the highway too. What about just waiting till he was hungry or thirsty? If he would have started shooting then they should have went in but not before. It takes longer than 4 hours too cool off. This guy was just a homeless guy who had little contact with the police his whole live. Hes a SOB but it could had been handle much better. The police did not try hard enough, just took the quick way out.

Shakey

Tell us exactly how you would have handled it Dodge Freak!  

Let's pretend for a moment you're the Chief of Police.  You get the call that a man has taken hostages at a school.  Let me guess, your initial response would be something like:

Dodge Freak - with a similar voice as of that of Chief Wiggum:

"OK guys, some nutjob has taken some hostages at the school.  No need to panic or rush over there, they are not going anywhere.  Let's have us a good old fashioned 20 hour stand-off!"

"Let's order a pizza, have a few cokes to get pumped up and we'll head over in the morning".  If this guy wants to rape these girls all night, he'll be dead tired in the AM and we can stroll right in and handcuff him.  I am sure the girls will be pleased we saved their lives!"

Am I close?  I used your first post as a guidline.

dodge freak

So instead she was rape and killed, not just rape. Great.

B5 Charger

Here is a better CNN quote:

Morales said police heard the two hostages screaming before they entered the classroom, something that "moved up the tempo of the operation a bit."

Negotiations with the gunman broke down when he began relaying demands through the hostages and then threatened that something would happen at 4 p.m., Wegener said Wednesday.

"It was then decided that a tactical solution needed to be done in an effort to save the two hostages that were in the room," Wegener said.

Do you have any tactical training or experience to draw from?  I would guess by your logic that you don't.  With people like you the police can do nothing right.  Your always there to armchair quarterback after the fact.  Had they waited and both girls got killed they would be cowards who let two innocent girls die while they stood by and did nothing.  Instead they intervene, one girl dies and they are still wrong.  The ideal tactical solution is for no loss of life not even the suspects.  But we do not live in an ideal world and things like this usually end badly.  Maybe they should brush up on their Rambo movies so they can plan their tactics as masterfully as you.

4402tuff4u

Just remember that we are only getting the edited version of what really was going on in the school. To jump to conclusions and second guess the officers responding to this tragedy is a bit premature and just senseless. To ask questions "why this" and "why that" is "OK", but wait until all the facts are known before jumping all over the authorities about their decision to terminate the situation. I agree, perhaps wait until he's a bit fatigue or wait until he's close to a window and have sniper take him out!  You also have to remember that they are interviewing the hostages- poor kids as they come out and they are most likely very traumatized and probably saying what this freak is telling and doing to them. The officers are making their decisions as the situation unfolds and their training from past experiences.

If a girl did get raped, the media and the public would be all over the Swat team asking them what the hell took so long to respond and get in and terminate the situation? Is almost a losing outcome however you want to look at it - the only sensible thing you can really say is - thank God! it could have been worse!
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Troy

I think he was a member of an online forum and read too many rediculously stupid posts in the Off Topic section. That has been proven to throw many right over the edge...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodge freak

Thats very true. And yes we don't know what happen just what the police are saying-and don't you think the police are trying to show why they did not wait longer or go though the roof. With all the high tech stuff  the police have why not get a tiny camera up by the window and see where he was at ? They could have maybe shot right though the wall and got him.

Sure its easy to look back but and the police were in a bad deal no matter what. I think that guy could have killed both of those girls if he wanted too. We should all wait-I am sure the police were shooting too. Lets wait--Maybe I jump the gun also.

grouseman

• October 1978: A 17-year-old student shoots a 16-year-old to death at Sturgeon Creek Regional Secondary School in Winnipeg, allegedly for ridiculing the rock group Kiss. He is found not guilty of first-degree murder by reason of insanity.

I lived in that neighbourhood at the time, and was at my neighbouring high school the day it happened.  Some Sturgeon Creek kids came to our school and told us what happened after they were all sent home.  The guy who got murdered, I knew his buddy (from Jr High) who also taunted the murderer.  His buddy, who didn't get killed, was a merciless tormentor, in a just extreme Python-esque kind of way.  Just a smart ass, not really in an "I hate you, so I'm going to torment you" kind of way, but more of a "You like KISS?  What are you, weird?  You like makeup and guys in black tights?" sort of way, but he never let up.  The guy who got killed was probably like him or worse (I didn't know the dead guy).  

It's not the gun that made him do it, he would have tried to murder that guy anyway he could.  And he only took the one shot.  

B5 Charger

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 01:41:04 PM
Thats very true. And yes we don't know what happen just what the police are saying-and don't you think the police are trying to show why they did not wait longer or go though the roof. With all the high tech stuff  the police have why not get a tiny camera up by the window and see where he was at ? They could have maybe shot right though the wall and got him.

Sure its easy to look back but and the police were in a bad deal no matter what. I think that guy could have killed both of those girls if he wanted too. We should all wait-I am sure the police were shooting too. Lets wait--Maybe I jump the gun also.

Go through the roof of a Highschool building?  Do you have any idea what an undertaking that would be?  Shooting through walls???   :rotz:  As far as the Police trying to say why they didn't wait longer it's pretty obvious.  They had a deadline looming and two girls screaming for help from inside.  You don't sit around when people's lives are in danger.  You take immediate and decisive action.

dodge freak

Well why wait even 4 hours then ? Girls scream for lots of reasons, they -the police either waited too long or not long enough it seems like. But again how do we know what really happen?

B5 Charger

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 01:58:39 PM
Well why wait even 4 hours then ? Girls scream for lots of reasons, they -the police either waited too long or not long enough it seems like. But again how do we know what really happen?

Because for four hours they were not in immediate danger and negotiations were ongoing.  Then. . . . . the hostage taker set a deadline, stopped communicating, the deadline was fast approaching and the girls were screaming indicating that something, possibly death, was emminent.  And thank you for pointing out that you don't know what really happened which is a far cry from where you started out this debate.  I would love to continue this but I must leave for work.  Thank God only one girl lost her life and Godbless her parents during their time of grief.  That's all I've got to say for now.

Shakey

Quote from: grouseman on September 28, 2006, 01:50:47 PM

I lived in that neighbourhood at the time, and was at my neighbouring high school the day it happened.  Some Sturgeon Creek kids came to our school and told us what happened after they were all sent home.  The guy who got murdered, I knew his buddy (from Jr High) who also taunted the murderer.  His buddy, who didn't get killed, was a merciless tormentor, in a just extreme Python-esque kind of way.  Just a smart ass, not really in an "I hate you, so I'm going to torment you" kind of way, but more of a "You like KISS?  What are you, weird?  You like makeup and guys in black tights?" sort of way, but he never let up.  The guy who got killed was probably like him or worse (I didn't know the dead guy).  

It's not the gun that made him do it, he would have tried to murder that guy anyway he could.  And he only took the one shot.  

I think we all knew of some guys like that back in high school.

Sorry if I stirred up some old ghosts.

RD

Quote from: Troy on September 28, 2006, 01:40:31 PM
I think he was a member of an online forum and read too many rediculously stupid posts in the Off Topic section. That has been proven to throw many right over the edge...

Troy

QuoteSarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

:D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

dodge freak

BAILEY, Colo. (AP) -- The gunman who killed a student and committed suicide during a high school standoff methodically selected six girls as hostages - apparently favoring blondes - and sexually assaulted at least some of them, authorities and witnesses said Thursday.

Sheriff Fred Wegener said the assaults went beyond touching or fondling. "It was pretty horrific," Wegener said, without elaborating.

The killer was identified as 53-year-old Duane Morrison, a petty criminal who had a Denver address but had apparently been living in his battered yellow Jeep when he walked inside the school Wednesday with two handguns and a backpack that he claimed contained a bomb. Investigators did not immediately say what was in the backpack.

Authorities said they knew of no connection between Morrison, his hostages or anyone else at Platte Canyon High School in this mountain town of about 3,500.

During the siege, he took the girls hostage in a second-floor classroom and eventually released four of them. Morrison, still holding two girls, soon cut off contact and warned that "something would happen at 4 o'clock," authorities said.

About a half-hour before the deadline, a SWAT team used explosives to blow a hole in a classroom wall in hopes of getting a clear shot at him, but they couldn't see him through the gap, and they blew the door off the hinges to get inside, said Lance Clem, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety.

Morrison fired at the SWAT officers, shot 16-year-old Emily Keyes in the back of the head as she tried to run away, and then killed himself, authorities said. During the lightning-fast gun battle, police said, they shot Morrison several times.

A sorrowful Wegener defended the decision to try to take Morrison by force.

"My decision was to either wait, with the possibility of having two dead hostages, or act to try and save what I feared he would do to them," the sheriff said. "We have confirmed he did traumatize and assault our children. ... This is why I made the decision I did.

"We had to go try and save them."

Classes were canceled for the rest of the week as the community tried to come to grips with the bloodshed, which evoked memories of the 1999 shooting rampage at Columbine High School, less than an hour's drive away, that left 15 dead.

"This is - this is something that has changed my school, changed my community," the sheriff said. "My small county's gone."

Louis Gonzalez, a spokesman for the Keyes family, said the girl's father was among scores of parents anxiously awaiting word from their children inside the school during the standoff. John Keyes had just bought Emily and her twin brother cell phones for their 16th birthdays.

"How are U?" a volunteer text-messaged Keyes on her father's behalf.

At 1:52 p.m., she messaged back, "I love you guys."

Police stormed into the classroom less than two hours later.

"In memory of Emily we would like everyone to go out and do random acts of kindness, random acts of love to your friends or your neighbors or your fellow students because there is no way to make sense of this," Gonzalez said. "It's what Emily would have wanted."

Student Chelsea Wilson said she was in the college prep English class when the gunman came in and told the students to line up facing the chalkboard.

"All the hairs on my body stood up," Chelsea said. "I guess I was somewhat praying it was a drill."

One by one, the gunman started letting students go, and Chelsea, a tall brunette, said she was the first girl to leave. Her mother, Julia Wilson, said she thinks the gunman made all the blond, smaller girls stay. Keyes' yearbook photo shows a smiling blond girl with blue eyes.

Chelsea said she heard what might have been a gunshot after she left the classroom.

"He's a pervert," Chelsea said. "I'm not sure of motivation. I just knew it wasn't good."

Morrison was arrested in July in the Denver suburb of Lakewood after he failed to appear on a 2004 harassment charge in Littleton, another suburb. He was also arrested on suspicion of larceny and marijuana possession in 1973.

"He's a weird dude. It was a telephone harassment. He left some messages at a business in the city," Littleton police Sgt. Sean Dugan said. He declined to release details of the charge, but said Morrison received a nine-day jail sentence in August that was suspended.

At their home in Tulsa, Okla., Morrison's stepmother said she and her husband, Bob Morrison, "have no record of him being, having any trouble before."

"We just know the way he was raised," Billie Morrison said, declining to elaborate. She said the last time she saw him was three to four years ago, she doesn't know what prompted the violence in Colorado.

"We don't know why," she said. "We don't know how."

Morrison - wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt that made him look like a student - walked into the school shortly before noon Wednesday. Authorities said that during he standoff, he spoke at first with sheriff's deputies, then used the girls to relay his messages.

The sheriff, a 36-year resident of Bailey with a son at the high school and a daughter who recently graduated, paused when asked if he made the right choice to confront Morrison.

"You re-evaluate your decisions, but given the fact that he was victimizing - I should say sexually assaulting - the hostages, I felt I had to do something," he said. "Given the information I had, I feel like I made the right decision."

Residents gathered at the Platte Canyon Christian Church for support and others stopped by the Cutthroat Cafe, where Keyes had worked for about two years.

"It's very sad here. You know, the family lost their daughter but as a community, we lost a child," said Bobbi Sterling, a waitress and cook. "We're just sitting here, numb and in shock. We're all just kind of stunned."

---

Associated Press writers Chase Squires in Bailey; Don Mitchell, Dan Elliott, Sandy Shore and Pat Graham in Denver; and Justin Juozapavicius in Tulsa, Okla., contributed to this report

dodge freak

So yeah the story is start to change allready. Now the police are saying they did not wait until 4PM but at 3:30 they decide to do something. And shooting though the wall they WERE going to do but they screw up and did not make a large enough hole to see him so then they blew the door off.  It also sounds like I am not the only "jerk" second guessing the decision to storm the room.

Yes the cops were in a bad deal and I am glad I did not have to make the call on what to do.

I hope the girl RIP and that real jerk burns in hell.

CaptMarvel

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 01:20:54 PM
Why could they have just waited longer ? What about going though the ceiling and trying to look down and take him out. The police set off bombs and rushed in there. They thought the loud bombs would scare him I guess. I don't know what they thought. They had a tank on the highway too. What about just waiting till he was hungry or thirsty? If he would have started shooting then they should have went in but not before. It takes longer than 4 hours too cool off. This guy was just a homeless guy who had little contact with the police his whole live. Hes a SOB but it could had been handle much better. The police did not try hard enough, just took the quick way out.

Why is it there is so much "monday morning quarterbacking" when it comes to tough police decisions? I'm not sure the PD did screw up. If they had not done what they did when they did it, we might very well be looking at 3 dead. And to the one who posted, sadly, now we have 2 dead, I'm sorry, I generally like people & believe it to be a commandment, but I just cant get too tore up about the whack job losing his life, he obviously wanted it that way! I do feel very sad for the innocent one though, but lets get one thing straight, the 50 yr old POS drifter was not in any way innocent, so we probably shouldnt mourn him so much. Its funny how depending on where your political/spiritual beliefs lay, we seem to see things so very different. Like Janet Reno seems to be a hero to many on the left, but didnt she put those innocent kids in their ultimate mortal risk at Waco (going by your Colorado analogy?) Yes, Koresh needed to be taken out, but not the others. And what she & Billy Boy did to that poor little Elian Gonzales was a travesty of justice (I wonder, is he even alive anymore now that he was liberated from this terrible country by the defenders of "all things constitutional") Good one Reno, a real friend of the children!  Bottom line is, PD usually trys to do the best and safest thing, I think they are usually to be commended when they try to save lives (which I think they did)

gtx6970

As far as circumstances involved with the events here. I seriously doubt anyone will ever TRULY know exactly what happend, All we will know is what the media SPECULATES what happened or the medias VERSION of what the officials told them.

Tragically 2 people lost there lives.
Try to imagine how the parent of that one little girl feels right about now. We take it for granted that are kids are safe in every enviroment.

All i can say is IF this ever happens to my family ( And I pray to my god above  it doesn't )  the SOB that did it,,,,,,,, better kill himself

dodge freak

Oh don't even get me started about Waco Texas--that was murder--thats all I am going to say about it.

I am sure the PD meant well. They were just from a small peacefull town and did not have much crime in the town too often. I did not know that until now. Why they have a small tank if it is a small peacefull town IDK. Thats what threw me, maybe cause of 9/11 they got a grant for one. The top cop has a son in that school also, that effected his judgement. Yes those girls screaming did not help either. One kid today now said he made up the story about trying to stay in the room to help the girls and the guy never did put a gun in his face. That was no help too.

dodge freak

Teen Made Up Tale in Colo. Standoff

BAILEY, Colo. (AP) -- A teen lied on national television about trying to stay with six girls taken hostage in a high school classroom because he "wanted so much to help them," his mother said Thursday.

Duane Morrison, 53, took the girls hostage at Platte Canyon High School on Wednesday, sexually assaulted some of them and killed one before committing suicide, authorities said.

Cassidy Grigg, 16, had told NBC's "Today" show that he was in a classroom when the gunman tapped him on the shoulder and told him to leave. His father, Tom, gave a similar account of his son's story to The Associated Press.

The teen said on ABC's "Good Morning America" that he told the gunman he wanted to stay and that "he told me that if I didn't go then he would pretty much kill me."

Larina Grigg said her son told her he had made up the story.

"He said, 'Mom, all those kids were my friends and I just wanted so much to help them. ... I guess I just made it up in my mind. I just wanted it to be true so bad,'" Larina Grigg said.

She did not say whether her son had witnessed anything at the school or had heard details elsewhere.

Larina Grigg said her son had never lied to his parents before and called it

"This is a 16-year-old young man, and I'm telling you, it's taken some real guts to do this. He wants to make this right. This is his call," she said.

"He wants to tell everybody he's sorry, he made a mistake," she said.

© 2006 The Associated Press

Troy

I suppose it's also the cop's fault for even letting the situation develop in the first place. I mean, they should have known this guy was trouble when he got to town, followed his movements, arrested him (in a non-violent way of course), and politely escorted him out of town with a gentle warning not to do anyone harm in the future... "or else". See? Problem solved. I can't believe those slackers put innocent children in harm's way.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

That was a hell of a tough call for the police. I know I wouldn't just stand by with the knowledge that some wacko was sexually assaulting some high school girls, I would have done something too and what they did may have not turned out as well as we hoped it would but IMO he probably saved at least one life. You can't blame the cops for any of this, you can only blame the pathetic sicko who went into the school intending to wreak havoc on the lives of these young students. I don't see how the sheriff had any other choice but to try getting in there and stopping the assault.

Steve P.

There is no way any of us can make a call on something like that, unless we were the one in charge. Unless we have been through all the training. Unless we have the statistics. UNLESS IT'S ONE OF OUR DAUGHTERS INSIDE THAT SCHOOL.

I will say I would stand in front of anyone aiming a gun at one of my girls. Knowing what they did from the girls that got out I would have to say I would have blasted in more walls than they did to get the bastard.

But that's just me.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

B5 Charger

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 04:24:10 PM
So yeah the story is start to change allready. Now the police are saying they did not wait until 4PM but at 3:30 they decide to do something. And shooting though the wall they WERE going to do but they screw up and did not make a large enough hole to see him so then they blew the door off.  It also sounds like I am not the only "jerk" second guessing the decision to storm the room.

Yes the cops were in a bad deal and I am glad I did not have to make the call on what to do.

I hope the girl RIP and that real jerk burns in hell.

Well my point of view is they made the right call to do a hostage rescue.  Your point of view is well. . . . . something different.  I guess we have to just agree to disagree. 

Brock Samson

"In memory of Emily we would like everyone to go out and do random acts of kindness, random acts of love to your friends or your neighbors or your fellow students because there is no way to make sense of this," Gonzalez said. "It's what Emily would have wanted."

ok gang we got our marching orders.  :pity:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida