News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ChgrSteve67 Charger Rebuild

Started by ChgrSteve67, August 24, 2005, 05:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

I have spent 3 or more months living in Virginia, Florida, Texas, England and Nevada.
When it comes to comfortable weather and climate I'll always come back to Sacramento California.
Living in the middle of a Valley protected by mountains makes for very moderate weather.

As for the Charger, believe it or not I had this car for sale for almost 10 years, asking price was $1,000.00 (had $500.00 in new tires) and no one could ever come up with the money.

Today its not for sale.

ChgrSteve67

Update...

Winter isn't very conducive to working on the Charger however I did get a few things done.

I got the instramentation cluster replaced with a working set of gauges, with A383Wings help the EL lights up and I can see my gauges at night.  :o
I shipped out the Dash bezel out to be vacuum plated and should get it back in about 8 weeks.
I shipped out the dash pad to Just Dashes to be restored and should get it back in about 8 weeks also.
I'm still waiting on my hood scoop (after 5 1/2 months) to be completed so I can take her to the metal fabricator to have sub frame connectors installed, plating installed in the trunk to hide the spare tire compartment, hood scoop hole cut and a custom fan shroud made.
Then I think its time to start the body work.
I was on the Mancini Racing web site the other night and bought a new chrome ECU, chrome master brake cylinder cap and a 4 speed gasket and seal set. Things to do in my spare time.
Something the pisses me off is that my transmission was replaced with a rebuilt trany. My original transmission was a total loss because of water getting in the case. The rebuilt had a problem shifting into third so it was pulled and sent back to the person that rebuilt it and he fixed the problem but used the same gaskets when he put it back together. Needless to say the transmission leaks oil all over the place.
So here are my thoughts....
I take the trany out this summer and replace the gaskets to stop the oil leak.
If it pisses me off and I have the money I'm going to buy a 5 speed conversion kit and install it.
Then replace the gaskets in the 4 speed and sell it.
I also ordered a new fender tag and should get it back in about a week or so.

Anyways it was beautiful last weekend so i went for a ride and took a few pictures.

ChgrSteve67

Here are a few more

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

I like the hood stripe Steve.  I also notice how nice the headlight buckets and parking lamps line up in your grille.  Thumbs up for that, a lot of our cars have them misaligned (mine included) and from old pics I've seen some from day one.

Shakey

Quote from: Silver R/T on April 03, 2006, 11:50:54 PM
one of best first gen's ive seen

:iagree: :thumbs:

I noticed this car in a another thread and was thinking the same thing.

Very sharp.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

73rallye440magnum

that looks very nice steve, very sharp first gen, something about it really gets me.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Just 6T9 CHGR

Damn.....deja vu??

I guess I really do like them huh? :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

SuBLimE 69

Quote from: Shakey on April 04, 2006, 05:59:42 AM
Quote from: Silver R/T on April 03, 2006, 11:50:54 PM
one of best first gen's ive seen

:iagree: :thumbs:

I noticed this car in a another thread and was thinking the same thing.

Very sharp.

On my 1st Gen top list for sure.  nicely done Steve !

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

ChgrSteve67

Update.
Dealing with vendors sucks sometimes. 

After 18 weeks I got my dash pad back from dust dashes, it looks great !
Time will tell on how well it holds up but looks like it should do well.   

Last weekend and today was a spending spree and scheduling when more work will get done on Big Red.   

Metal worker has me down for the middle September to install the following.   
1. Frame Rails
2. Sheet Metal in the trunk to cover the spare tire area with a hinged door.
3. Make a metal glove box.
4. Cut the hole in my hood to make the hood scoop functional.

Ordered a Dual Electric Fan setup with thermal sencors and a manual over-ride switch. (Should arive tomorrow).
Wife is tired of not having AC in the Charger so I ordered a Clasic Auto Air AC kit. Should arive in about 3 weeks. 
Ordered two different Hemi Hood Scoops, one from VFN and one from kramer's. I've heard good things about both.   

Still working on converting my dash from analogue to digital gauges.
Ran into snag with the lenses I just had restored. hopefully I'll know more in several weeks.

I also scored on E-Bay last weekend and got a really good piece of chrome for the leading edge of the hood for $51.00 

Good thing I have a lottery ticket for this week.

Now I have to start saving for my 5 speed all over again. 

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChgrSteve67

Weekend was eventfull but I still have some work to do.

Headlight motors are out of the car and will be sent off tomarrow for rebuilding.

Air Cond. unit is in and functioning however I still have two control cables and the dash switch to mount.

Over all this is a great kit from classic auto air, there were only two problems with it.
1. the lower AC radiator mounting brackets don't fit.
2. the replacement blower switch is not a direct replacement for the original.
I had to modify both to get it to work.

The AC system and the electric fans set me back about 1,300.00 bucks but I think it will be money well spent.

Here are some pictures durring the install.
After I clean up a few things I will post some more pics.

ChgrSteve67

More pics

ChgrSteve67

Mid September Big Red goes to the metal fabricator for sub-frame connectors, some sheet metal work in the trunk and the hole cut for the hood scoop.

It just takes time and money.

Steve

Silver R/T

nice work, are you going to lower front a little to give it more agressive look?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChgrSteve67

I don't think so but I will think about it after its painted with the hood scoop and spoiler installed.

ChgrSteve67

Well I got the rest of my metal work and modifications completed on my Charger for the year.

5 Speed is now in.
Frame Rails Installed.
Hole for the Hood Scoop cut
(I painted the underside of the hood red so the guy running the cutter didn't cut it out upside down.)
Cover plate over spare tire area in trunk.

Almost ready to start taking the Charger apart to strip the paint.

Still waiting on my Hood Scoop to arive and Dash to come back from Dakota Digital.

ChgrSteve67

More Pics

ChgrSteve67

And More

ChgrSteve67

And sinced I know the question is going to be asked....

Here is the Trany that got installed.

5-Speed Overdrive kit (TREMEC TKO-600) with 0.64:1 5th gear.
http://www.keislerauto.com/mopar/transmissions/b-body_66-70.asp
     And it is NOT a Perfect Fit 6 hour install    :P

But it is Sweet cruising down the freeway at 80 MPH

Steve (Have to go pay some bills now)

HITMAN 149

damn steve......
that is one sweet looking ride!!!! i  like the AR hopsters also.......was thinking about them for my 68" what size are they & the tires?!?!?!
thanks...
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

tan top

thats some good modifications you done there :scope: :thumbs:,   good stuff
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ChgrSteve67

Thanks for the complements!

5 - 4.5 17X8 AR Hopster Rims and 245/45ZR-17 ZEXIUS Tires

Just takes time and $$$
(Got lots of time but no money)

I'm supose to get my Dash back from Dakota Digital by the end of the month.
But I'm not holding my breath.

Have to find someone now that can take the glass out of the car without breaking it or screwing up the chrome trim.