News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ChgrSteve67 Charger Rebuild

Started by ChgrSteve67, August 24, 2005, 05:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

No fire in the hole.  :bawling:

I thought today was going to be the day, but it wasn't.

The headers I bought we not made correctly.
When I bolt them up they hit the starter.
I even bought a new micro starter, they still hit.
Tried to make some alterations but it was still a no go.
I don't want to use the stock exhaust headers so I will have to buy another set from another manufacturer.
I bought a set of Dynomax headers because they were less than half compared to the TTI headers everyone old me I should buy.
You get what you pay for. Now I know why the Dynomax headers were so much less. Poor quality control.

Oh well, I got my radiator and hoses installed and all of the pulleys and belt installed.

I just have the electronic ignition left and some fluids to put in and she will be ready.

My god my back, arms, and hands are killing me.
I need a vacation.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChgrSteve67

Thanks Silver R/T!
I did just that, I should get them in a few days.
Everyone tels me that the TTI Headers are the way to go but I can't see spending $900.00 on a set of headers.

Where did all of the speed shops go?
Tognotti's Auto World is the only place left in Sacramento that I know of and they are lets just say "full of themselves".
There use to be hot rod shops all over the place, now its all done by mail order.
Summit Racing is just one state away so shipping time is not too bad but god help you if you need a performance part on a weekend.

cudaken

Steve thought you said you where going to piant the engine compartment?

I thought I was going to start mine Sunday, Charger thought driffrent! Fuel pump took a dump and none in stock any where. Did get it to hit when I dumped gas down the Carb.

TTI header's to fit a little better, but Hookers fit pretty good as well. I have Hookers on my 68 Runner abd have held up well for 21 years. A little tip, if they are the same style as mine pull steering colume from the gear box and drive in into it self (does a 67 had a collapsing like a 68) and drop the starter in from up top. If you are using a mini starter it will more than like fit with out doing that.

My Runner runs a full sizes starter and my Charger has a mini.

Cuda Ken

I am back

ChgrSteve67

I did paint it. The garage is really dusty, 10 minutes after you paint or clean something its dirty again.
After everything is back together It will get washed.

I don't know what you mean about the steering column and box.

I have the Charger sitting about 1 1/2 feet off of the ground so I have plenty of clearance installing the headers and starter from underneath the car.
Had the original headers I bought in and out about 6 or 7 times trying to get them to fit before giving up.

cudaken

OK, when you said you where going to paint the comparment I thought you ment the color of the Body.

On the steering colume you know the drift pin that holds the coupler to the box? Drive the out and pull the colume. On my 68 I can hook a pair of vice grips and drive the colume back into it self. I think 68 was the first year they had  collapsing steering columes. It was listed as a saftey feature.

If you want more details message me your number. My typing does not do me credit to what I know.

Hee, Hee, Hee the plaine ticket and cost of Cam 2 would have covered the cost of stipping the comparment and painting the color of the Charger.

Cuda Ken have paint gun will travel

I am back

ChgrSteve67

My Charger does not have a collapsing column and doesn't seem to be in the road when installing the headers.
The Hooker headers are suppose to show up today. UPS Tracking says they are out for delivery.

I thought about painting the compartment the same color as the body (RED) but I though the black
engine compartment against the red block would be a good offset.
I guess I will see when its all done and cleaned up.

It may be a few years before the car gets painted.
This phase of the rebuild cost more than I budgeted for.
I think I'm about 3 grand over budget, but it will be money well spent in the long run.

Oh funny not so funny issue I ran across.
When reattaching the clutch rod that goes through the firewall back to the clutch shaft going to the trany I noticed the rod wasn't bent enough to mount flush to the shaft arm, so got my trusty screw driver to put a small bend in it and broke the end off of the rod.
After kicking my self and removing the rod from the car I found out the other end of the rod was also broken and the end was just about to break off. So I welded and cleaned up both ends of the rod, reinstalled and works like a champ.

Talk about one bad move saving me from a future bad situation.

Sometimes lady Luck has a strange way of smiling on you.

cudaken

Yea, amazing how little things bite you in the ass. Only $3000.00 over budget, man you are doing good. My budget was $6000.00 to $7000.00 on the Blowen 440. Last time I did the math I was around $12,000.00.

See you have a 1991 Yamaha Virago, I have a 920 Virago. It all stock and not sure what to think of it. Faster than I thought but still the slows bike I have owned for 20 years. Sound's like a cross between a Hardly and a VW bug. ;D

Cuda Ken
I am back

martinihenry

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on September 19, 2005, 10:46:04 AM
Where did all of the speed shops go?
Tognotti's Auto World is the only place left in Sacramento that I know of and they are lets just say "full of themselves".

I agree completely. Any Moparhead in Sacramento knows to avoid Tognotti's like the plague. They're your best pal if you've got a chebby, but once you've said "Hello" to the person at the counter, you've pretty much exhausted all of their Mopar knowledge. I did buy an MSD coil for my Challenger there about 7 years ago. Was not a fun experience.

Jason
1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

Ghoste

I've always found that to be true of almost all speed shops.  Even Ramcharger's after being started by Chrysler engineers has turned out to be a great place for Chevy stuff and ricer parts.  Thank God I live close enough to the border I can run to Mancini's once in a while.
I do wish there was a good Saturday afternoon hangout speed shop nearby though.

ChgrSteve67

Update

Well the headers are finally installed and 98% of the car is back together.

(Had to remove the steering column, steering arm and jack the car another 6 inches
off of the ground to get enough room to put the header in, what a pain in the ass.)

I just need to finish some final wiring, but in some fluids and she will be ready to fire.
I hoping to fire her up tonight if nothing else causes a delay.
The only thing left will be the exhaust system.
The exhaust system I got from my cousin doesn't match up to the Hooker headers I just put on.
Not a major surprise, it just means I'm going to have to have my charger towed to my house then to the muffler shop when I have time.

I still have a bunch of little stuff to do but I can do that at my house as time permitts, I just need to get my car out of my Uncles garage so he can get back to working on his own projects.

I'll post some more Pictures when its done.

ChgrSteve67

Fired the new motor last night and ran it for about 1/2 hour.
I still have some engine/wiring dress-up and cleanup to do.
After the motor is broken in I think I'm going to get it tuned on a DYNO and see how much Horse Power she has.
I'll take some pictures this weekend.

ChgrSteve67

Almost done at last.

It was a long weekend but she is almost back together.
The exhaust system I got from my cousin didn't fit and I can't bend my own pipe so it will have to go to the exhaust shop.
But that will be another day.
I only have one electrical item that needs fixing, backup lights. I still need to run wires from the loom to the switch on the trany.
My headlights rotate open and close for the first time since I have owned her.
Found out an interesting little tid bit.
The headlight hold open switch and the Emergency Flasher switch on a 67 are the same part number.
Replaced the door hinges today and it only took about an hour to align the doors. Sweet!!!

I still have some work to do cleaning up the engine compartment, spark plug wire looms, Spark plug insulators, paint touch up, and so on.
Here are some new pictures

LeeBoy

My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

cudaken

Seem's like you are all most there.

Got mine fired finaly last night 09-25-05. Not sure if all is right in Cuda Kens world. Lot of blow by out the dip stick tube during break in. First time I have used a smooth bore finshes on the walls. Was told that was the way to go with the File to Fit Plasma Chrome Molly Rings.

Have a little bite of a brown head in the radiator, but it was not flushed and could be crap from the 42sick I had used it with before the new 440.

Good new's is the oil is still clean in the pan (all 9 quarts) and motor sounds good. During cam break in had 90 PSI of oil and never went over 170 degress. Boy, the blower cam sure does not have the lope I am used to. Sure won't scare anyone at the stop light till the Huffer is on top.

Funny not's, BBQ Paint does not work well on header's. ;D One of the guys that worked for me said he used it. He is a Bow Tie guy. Looked like the house was on fire during cam break in. :icon_smile_big:

Let us know how she run's, and I will the same.

Ken

PS, Hookers and all headers should go in first, then drop in the BB. But I know, you had the engine all ready in. With my hookers I had the engine out and did not have to pull anthing.                           
I am back

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

ChgrSteve67

Took the Charger to the Exhaust shop today.

My Neighbors didn't come running out of their house shaking their finger at me for the lack of mufflers, but then again I didn't give them much time.
There is always time for them to form a linch mob and be waiting for me to get home.
Don't know where the cops were and don't care, I made it across town (driving through the middle of town) and didn't get pulled over and cited for being loud as hell.

Beg Red is getting 2 1/4 inch stainless steel pipes with a 3 inch cross over, Flowmaster 40's and 12 inch long / 3 inch round rolled exhaust tips.

its going to be nice to get to drive the old gal without having to eat exhaust fumes.

I hoping to get some pictures for you all by this weekend.

It was funny to me when I was at the garage filling out the Info sheet.
Name
Address
etc...

One of the questions was MILES:
I put down 5
Like I said it was funny to me and it was SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :2thumbs:

Today was the first time I have actually driven her since the rebuild. :drive:

Ghoste

cudaken

Kinda sort like the open exhaust. ;D Hope you do better than I did Steve. My 440 shot craps after only 90 miles. Dam machine shop left one of the bolts lose on number 4 rod bearing. Would not even look at the 440. It is at another shop now being checked out.

Now with the exhaust done, how does she run.

Ken
I am back

ChgrSteve67

I can not wait for this month to be done and over with.
Just about everything I have touched or tried to get accomplished has turned to crap.

The shop called me yesterday and they were not able to get the reducers and tail pipe tips so I haven't got my car back yet.   :bawling:

Have two people on ebay that have seem to fallen off the face of the planet.
I tried several times to get my wife to come to Circuit City to look at the stereo head unit I want for the Charger. First time she didn't feel good. Second time when she got out of the car she tripped over the curb, fell and tore her hands and knees up. I put her back in the car and took her home.
Wife purchased a new toilet (Old timer with the water tank that hangs on the wall about 6 feet off of the ground) poorly engineered and leaks. I'm going to make one more attempt to seal it up with some silicone before I throw it out the door. My wife does not believe in "If it works leave it alone"
Hood lock on my Jeep broke, someone tried to steal two of the rims. Didn't get the rims but did mark them up with the wrench they were using to try and steal them. Believe it or not they actually got one of the gorilla Locks off and took it. Bastards. Now I have to go buy another set.
Came in last place in a golfing tournament.

Tried sleeping on my wife's side of the bed to see if getting out on the wrong side bed would help.   :P

At least no one has died lately.
The last time I said that my father in-law passed away two weeks later.

And I haven't lost my home to a hurricane but then again I live in California.   ""EARTHQUAKE""

A couple of good things have happend....
Got another complete instrumentation cluster and bezel for the Charger but haven't had the time to install it.
(However the check did get lost in the mail and turned up two weeks later)
A383Wing over on 66-67Charger.com sold me a spoiler for my Charger and it showed up yesterday.
(My own bank couldn't figure out how to sell me a money order)

I'm hoping November will be better to me.
If I can just get this F***ing toilet to stop leaking.   :brickwall:

:icon_smile_dead:

ChgrSteve67

I just got the call my charger is done and is ready to be picked up.

Ghoste

ChgrSteve67

Back home at last after a nice hour long cruise around town last night.
Motor still needs to be properly tuned now that the drive train is finally complete.
Next is to get the instramentation cluster and backup lights working.

Here are some pictures.

Ghoste

You Californians and your weather.  I'm thinking this might be my last good weekend until the spring.  Not last, but last good one.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722