News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ChgrSteve67 Charger Rebuild

Started by ChgrSteve67, August 24, 2005, 05:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

If my Uncle had Internet I would put up a web cam.
:eek: :wave:

Topher

Hey bud, looks like the numbers in that pic means the engine block was cast Sept(9) Ninth(9) of 1966(6). Which would make for an early 67 build. If you look at the sun dial cast into the side of the block it'll tell you what hour of the D or N shift it was cast also. I have a 67 Charger too. She's a 383 4 speed also, with a 3:23 sure grip. Out of curiousity was yours a 2bbl engine from the factory(XP29G7), or a 4bbl engine(XP29H7)? My car was a 2bbl car originally, but a previous owner had changed the heads, intake and emblems before I bought the car in 90. Are you going to the big B-day bash next year in Detroit?

Topher
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

ChgrSteve67

My Charger is a XP29G72 - Build Date is June 1, 1967

The block is a E383 (1969) which is why the date on the side of the block wierd.
There is a VIN number stamped on the side of the block which they did not start doing until 1968.
RM23H9E******
R = Plymouth Belvedere/Satellite
M = Medium, Road Runner
23 = 2 Door Hardtop
H = 383 330HP OR 335HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
9 = 1969
E = Los Angeles, CA, USA
I think I can safely say this is a 1969 block

I don't think I will be in Detroit next year. I have not made any plans to take it anywhere yet.
Maybe after its painted.

ChgrSteve67

I don't have any cool new pictures to post. All of the pictures look the same, a disassembled car.

All of the wiring harnesses are installed, found out my heater core was leaking (new HC in route from TX)
Most all old parts have been cleaned and painted ready for reassembly. New door hinges and speedometer cable installed.
Headlight assembly and grill have been completely disassembled and are ready for paint and polish.

I'm just waiting for my engine to come back from the machine shop. I should get it Wednesday.
Its hard to wait. 

:burn:

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on August 29, 2005, 03:35:57 PM
I took mine to
Bokan Brothers Engine Rbldrs

Looks like I spoke a little to soon about the turn around time of these guys promised me.
They talked a good talk on the how quick they could rebuild my motor.
Typical Machine Shop.

I was suppose to get my engine back tomarrow...(Wednesday 9-7-2005)
Well after 6 business days they are still working on the block, then they spill the beans that they can't balance the block themselves and it has to be farmed out to another company.
After they send the engine out to be ballenced it will take them several days to get the block back from balancing and another day after that to put the rest of the motor together. So much for getting to install my engine this weekend. :brickwall:

It amazes me how company's outright lie knowing they cannot deliver what they promise.
I guess if they told me the truth they know I would take my business else where.
I guess they also think I don't talk to anyone either.

Thanks for letting me vent, I'm just really disappointed that I will have to wait another week before I hear the old girl roar back to life.
:icon_smile_dissapprove:

ChargerSG

I hope you get it back soon, i can understand your disappointment....
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Brock Samson

i can relative that's why i have the three times longer tree times more money formula when having contractors oar work done
if their are any onest contrackters out their i sinserly appolojise and pm me i need too no at leest won

cudaken

Steve, glad to hear you are painting the bay. It is a shame to see a good looking Mopar ruined by a blacked out engine compartment.

As far as the shop, I hate to say it but pretty much normal. Don't ask me why but it is. I threw my shop a $50.00 tip to get mine checked out. Told me 2 weeks at first, then for the $50.00 said 3 day's, well took a week but still faster than I was told at first.

Are you going to hook all the stuff on the 383 before you drop it in? Make's it way easyer.

Cuda Ken
I am back

ChgrSteve67

Most of the engine will be assembled before its installed.
I'm leaving off the exhaust headders, carb and clutch fan.
The new wireing harness is installed in the car with just a few wires going to the motor.

It should be a smooth install.

cudaken

Bolt up the fan and leave the radiator out. Taking skin off your knuckles hurt's bolting on the pully.

Cuda Ken
I am back

ChgrSteve67

ChgrSteve67

Work on Charger was slow this week, still waiting on the engine to come back from the machine shop.   :brickwall:

I did get all of my fuel filler and breather hoses replaced. No more fuel running out onto the ground.   :punkrocka:

Changed out the original steering coupler with a U-Joint (Nice!)

About half way through painting my headlights and grill, just have the buckets left and its time for reassembly. :cheers:

cudaken

Great to see some one did some work on a Charger this weekend. Made yet another trip to Sear's hard ware for $1.14  more of nut and bolts and wondering (why is the kick down hitting the vale cover)? Stock intake and M/T cover's. Ran them for 20 years now, and now they hit? Well first stock intake in 20 years as well.

Looking good Steve, more PIC when you have them.

Cuda Ken
I am back

martinihenry

All right, where'd you get that steering coupler u-joint? The coupler in my Ramcharger is notorious for needing a rebuild every 10,000 miles. Getting sick of doing it.

Jason
1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

Ghoste

I'll throw my  :thumbs: on the engine bay painting too.  A previous owner painted it black in my car and I find it as embarassing (sometimes more) as the tattered upholstery inside the car.  I never open the hood at any cruise nights or car shows and the thing is, all the Chevy and Ford fans wandering around those events would think it was perfectly normal.

ChargerAndy

That steering coupler is sweet! I had no idea that could be done.....it's on my wish list now. Keep up the good work...... and don't rush the engine rebuilders.... if they quoted you a price, let them take their time and not rush. My 2 cents, Andy

chrisII

the good news about a slow engine builder is that it means they are doing alot of engines. if you walk into an engine builder and he says "ooh yeah i can build it this week" it means "ooh no problem, nobody else is dumb enough to trust me with there engine"  this time of year any good engine builder is still going racing engines on an "emergency" bassis. guys blow em up one week and want it back in the next. and for whatever reason dont mind paying a lil more for it to happen.

ChgrSteve67

Progress Report: Sorry no pictures.

The engine builder said I should have my motor Thursday afternoon.
Got the new heater core and heater box installed.
Shifter linkage has been properly adjusted.
My headlights are finished being repainted (won't install until after the motor is in)

I think I'm going to take Friday off from work and get a jump on installing that motor.

Should have it installed and running by Saturday afternoon.
:drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

cudaken

Well got the Kick down fixed.

Looking forward Steve to seeing your Charger PIC, take your camera.

Cuda Ken
I am back

ChgrSteve67

cudaken

Humm, lost your crank? :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken
I am back

ChgrSteve67

I think my engine is sitting in a pile on the floor waiting for someone to notice it.

I just called my cousin who is suppose to be on good terms with these guys to see if he can find out what is going on.

I'm sure the answer will be that they have been busy (busy working on more important clients I'm sure).

My engine was back from being ballenced on Monday, they say it only takes them a day to finish it after that (probably another lie).
I guess its a day - when they decide to get around to it.

Having my engine rebuild take three weeks isn't what pisses me off.
What pisses me off is being told something will be ready on a particular day and I have to call them to find out that it isn't ready.

I got plenty of crank its just not in the right location. It should be in the motor that should be in my car by now.

ChgrSteve67

Its been a long few days.

Anyways I'll jump to the end since I'm tired and ready to go to bed.

The engine is in and almost ready to start.
Ignition, Exhaust, Cooling system and a few more parts.... Tomorrow she will be ready to fire.  :yesnod:

Here is a picture from today September 17th about 6:00pm

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722