News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI -4-7 SWAP

Started by daytonalo, September 24, 2006, 10:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

DOES ANYONE MAKE A 426 HEMI 4-7 SWAP CAM , FOR THOSE WHO ARE SCRATCHING THERE HEAD . THIS IS A CAM WHERE YOU SWAP THE FIRING ORDER BETWEEN 4 AND 7 AND IT MAKES 30 H.P

resq302

I think I just saw something on that on Horsepower TV yesterday.  Don't know how it would work or how it would get extra horsepower just by changing the firing order.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

daytonalo

The engine breaths better and runs smother ! I race a offshore boat and a few guys have gone this direction

Blown70

Quote from: daytonalo on September 24, 2006, 01:45:43 PM
The engine breaths better and runs smother ! I race a offshore boat and a few guys have gone this direction

I have seen this first hand,  THOSE motors run smooooooth!! I was very surprised.

ALSO, I would think any custom grid shop should be able to do this?

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Blown70 on September 24, 2006, 02:22:45 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on September 24, 2006, 01:45:43 PM

I have seen this first hand,  THOSE motors run smooooooth!! I was very surprised.

ALSO, I would think any custom grid shop should be able to do this?

yep - any cam place should be able to make a cam for this....     just tell them what you are doing...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

daytonalo

blown 70 , can you tell more about your experience?

andyf

Crane can grind you a 4-7 swap for a Hemi.  Comp Cams can probably do it also.  I think you have to use an unground lobe cam which is more expensive.  I'm not so sure it makes any more power or runs smoother.  After all, a lot of Ford engines came from the factory with that firing order and nobody ever said they made a lot of power or ran smoother than a Chevy or Mopar.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: andyf on September 25, 2006, 12:50:09 AM
After all, a lot of Ford engines came from the factory with that firing order and nobody ever said they made a lot of power or ran smoother than a Chevy or Mopar.

yeah...     that is a good point
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

daytonalo

I just saw the dyno sheet , only after 4-7 swap , increase of 30 hp .......................................

Blown70

andyf

If a motor picked up 30 hp after changing to a 4-7 lobe then something else was wrong that got fixed at the same time.  The average engine is not going to pick up 30 hp just by changing the firing order unless something is way out of whack.

There is nothing new about the 4-7 firing order change.  As posted before, a lot of Ford engines came from the factory with that firing order and they didn't make an extra 30 hp.

The new Chevy SB engines have changed to this firing order and they didn't pick up 30 hp.  The engineers did change the firing order because it seemed to reduce engine vibration a bit.  Evidently moving the firing pair from the rear of the engine to the front of the engine reduces some crankshaft harmonics.  I'm not sure why, maybe because the front of the crank is less lightly loaded than the rear?  Anyway, I've never seen a detailed engineering explanation for why the 4-7 swap works but it does seem to make the motors a little smoother for some reason.

But it doesn't add 30 hp.

daytonalo

I have been on the phone all day about this to a few offshore race teams , and this is common practice and when you lake it on paper it just makes sense . I'm sorry I missed on what type of engineerering back ground you have , but dyno sheets don't lie . all that is involved is a custom cam and a firing order change , they also inform my besides less vibration it inherently breathes better because of better engine intake pulses .

andyf

Actually it is pretty easy to make dyno sheets lie!  A 4-7 swap might pick up a little power on an engine and it might not.  But there is zero chance that it is going to automatically add 30 hp to the average engine.  Whoever is telling you that is just yanking your chain hoping you'll buy some expensive parts.

daytonalo

ask around , then get back to me

firefighter3931

Quote from: andyf on September 25, 2006, 12:20:17 PM
If a motor picked up 30 hp after changing to a 4-7 lobe then something else was wrong that got fixed at the same time.  The average engine is not going to pick up 30 hp just by changing the firing order unless something is way out of whack.

:iagree: If the engine in question picked up 30hp....then the profile was altered. You won't see a 30hp increase with identical lift/duration/lsa specs and a simple 4-7 swap. Dynos measure under a constant load so even engines that rev faster/smoother won't show any increase in measured power (on the dyno).

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 26, 2006, 12:33:26 PM
Quote from: andyf on September 25, 2006, 12:20:17 PM

:iagree: If the engine in question picked up 30hp....then the profile was altered. You won't see a 30hp increase with identical lift/duration/lsa specs and a simple 4-7 swap. Dynos measure under a constant load so even engines that rev faster/smoother won't show any increase in measured power (on the dyno).

Ron

I agree too !  Just can't see it.
2 ways to increase power,(among others), are to increase Volumetric Efficiency, or to decrease Parasitic forces internal of the engine.

I had thought the 4/7 swap deals, were a development targeting the BB Chevies "good port/bad port" head design, to even out the carb pulses, really intake problems, which manifest as both Volumetric, AND Parasitic torsional.

Just proves,  I KNOW NOTHING !   LOL ! 

But I still Pluck at the 30 h.p. unless something else was "FIXED", like Ron says.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

daytonalo

The results were on horsepower TV, on a 572 , Chevy ramjet

Lightning

hmm....could this work on the small block mopars as well?  ??? (even without gaining HP, it'd be nice to have it run smoother)  I've seen an ad in the stock car racing mags advertising such a swap on the SB Chevys for years....
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

resq302

One thing to remember too when you are on a dyno with the motor out of the car, it is usually in a controlled environment and they usually run it with the air cleaner housing off.  That alone will give you extra horsepower due to no restriction of the air filter or the air filter housing.  I doubt it will give you the extra 30 horsepower but it will certainly help the numbers.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto