News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What your thoughts on my oil analysis?

Started by TXcharger70, January 13, 2014, 07:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

I sent off my oil to be tested at black stone laboratories to see how my engine was doing since it is still a fresh build only having maybe 3000 mi on the motor if that.( 383 496 storker with aluminum heads everything is new except for the block) I have had a little bit of aluminum shavings very fine and wanted to be sure. With the results they are telling me that I have potassium (Antifreeze) in my oil as well.  My oil pressure has been about 70psi and have had no issues of over heating no milky oil. Whats are you guys take on this and over all thought on the whole analysis.

68X426

Don't know about the potassium issue. Sorry.

I noticed the zinc count is high. Are you using a zinc additive? Why so high?

:popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

TXcharger70

firefighter3931

I don't think you have a problem. Do you have a VOA to compare these results with ?

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TXcharger70

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 14, 2014, 07:36:39 AM
I don't think you have a problem. Do you have a VOA to compare these results with ?

Ron

Is this what you are referring to the vr1 oil analysis?

firefighter3931

VOA = Virgin Oil Analysis  ;)

I was wondering if you had a VOA of the same oil to compare mineral levels.....sort of a before vs after comparison to see if anything is out of line. It helps to have the same lab test both samples for consistency.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TXcharger70

Here is what I found on a VOA. I am concerned about the high amount of potassium=antifreeze getting into my oil and what they were telling

flyinlow

Yea, where is the antifreeze coming from?  What kind of head gaskets?

I am guessing ,short trips, the oil doesn't get hot enough which would remove the fuel and moisture?  :shruggy:

firefighter3931

OK, did a little research and it seems that there are mixed opinions regarding potassium levels and what it means. One reliable source stated that a sure fire indicator of a coolant leak will show elevated levels of both potassium AND sodium. Looking at your UOA results this seems to be the case with elevated levels on both.  :yesnod:

Is the coolant level dropping ?

It sounds like a possible head gasket issue so maybe a leakdown & compression test is in order ?

Ron

TXcharger70

I am using FEL-PRO Permatorque head gaskets. I haven't noticed a loss of antifreeze but then again I haven't been exactly checking as of yet but I will look at it.  Correct me if I am wrong but if I start the engine with out the cap on the radiator, let it warm up and if I see bubbles that would tell me I have a blown head gasket correct.

firefighter3931

Yes, small bubbles in the coolant can indicate crankcase gasses making their way into the cooling system.  :yesnod:

There is a kit that analyzes coolant for products of combustion. A Diesel service tech buddy of mine has one and lent it to me when i was diagnosing my overheating issues. You can also pressure test the cooling system and see if pressure drops over a period of time. Lots of ways to determine what's going on.  ;)

Ron

flyinlow

Back in the 70's when Mopar started selling Mishubitzi  products with aluminum heads there was a required re torque after 600 miles. They have gotten away from that now. I did not re torque the Feel pro blue ones under my Eddy heads.

IF you have a gasket issue, it 's not bad . Your oil looks OK and the engine runs well. I would do some of basic tests . You would not want to go for a drive and start a liquid locked engine.

TXcharger70

Well I was able to escape today for a bit to go and try too trouble shoot. I took a sample out from the drain plug motor was cold and oil looked like a dark soot, like break in material. Dipstick levels were normal and clean. I also took the radiator cap off, started the motor to operatining temp and did have some gurgles come up. Then had a buddy that had a pressures tester that was pretty banged up but the needle was fluctuating indicating a leak in the system.I also put the cap back on, restarted and look at my reservoir and it had bubbling. So i think most of this is all leading to head gasket.
I still need to compression check on all the cylinders to be positive. That being said and I do find out one of my head gaskets are out would you guys go ahead and just do both or just do the bad side? If so would you pull the motor or do it on the car? I was thinking if I had to do both might be easier to just pull the motor

cdr

i would pull the engine & check all the bearings.  :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

flyinlow

Autozone rents the tester.  Lisle 75500 is available online.   Goes in the radiator neck and the fluid changes color in the presence of exhaust gases.

I suggest a cylinder pressure test. Remove the radiator cap , pull the sparkplugs and pump shop air in each cylinder.  Watch for bubbles. Might take a few minutes per cylinder. Sometimes removing the thermostat helps. If you find a leak have the head checked by a good machine shop.  :Twocents:

TXcharger70

OK so I had a chance to go and do some testing. I did a pressure test and the system looked good and held pressure. I then also did a Combustion  leak check. I rented it from autozone and the fluid is supposed to turn yellow once it comes in contact with  Combustion  gases but it stay normal. I let it run for about 30 min and the same results. Repeated it several time expecting to find a leak based on the oil analysis. I am now baffled. Unless I managed to incorrectly use the tester the results are negative. I went ahead and took another oil sample the oil looked dark but normal it only has about 30miles on it. I am going to send it in to see what happens. Is there any explanation for this? I was sure I was going to find a leak but know I am not sure what direction to take. The only thing I can think of is to send another sample in and see what happens.

ws23rt

There is a good chance you don't have a leak.

If all systems show no problems ---leak down check---coolant level stable--etc. the next step is to put miles on it.

Care should be taken with over analyzing. That could be the only problem :Twocents:

cdr

you could have a head gasket leaking coolant into the valley, that would not show up on the test you did,pull the intake & valley & look for coolant :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr