News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

young gun vs paying bills??

Started by chrisII, September 22, 2006, 07:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisII

I decided that my charger neads to go to make room AND to pay some bills. I only have about 2k in the car, and i have LOVED owning it So , this weekend is a BIG local car show, and ive put it on my front lawn (main hwy) for 3800 obo, a price that those who have seen the car agree is top dollar but fair . I parked it there yeasterday (thursday) and i have seen alot of people looking at it so far, but no calls. Last night and again tonight 2 young kids have shown up on bikes. they are 15 and neither has a licence, but both are close.. these kids seem to be schooled in mopar, asking questions about the engine and other aspects of the car that show me that they REALLY respect what A charger is. They REALLY want this car, But seem to only be able to come up with more than i have invested (barely) there is a part of me that really wants to sell the kids the charger and do what I can to help them have the coolest muscle car in school. (this is something they were discussing while looking at it). So far ive told em to come back next week and i will be more willing to deal if it doesnt sell..I made it VERY clear that I will only sell to his parent on his behalf. this car is similar to the 74 I had in high school, and I remember how I drove it..and that wasnt my first car, so a big part of me worrys about selling this car to a 15yo. the other half of me is happy to see him not wanting a honda! I told him that if it doesnt sell in the next 2 weeks i will pe parking it on a car trailer for the winter to keep it off the wet ground and that it would most likely be for sale in the spring. I am thinking that by then he would come up with the $$..

WHAT ya all think??   :ahum:

twilt

I personally would never give a "young gun discount". I figure they might as well get a taste of reality up front and early. Then again, you have already stated that you are looking for "top dollar" for the car. I never pay top dollar either, so if i was them... I`d be looking for a better deal.

whitehatspecial

In most states anyone under 18 cannot enter into an agreement. IMO you are opening yourself up to headaches selling to kids. If they really want the car sell only to their parent. If not, they can ask for their money back a year or two from now and you'd have to give it to them.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

terrible one

I personally don't think that you should give them a discount. If they really want the car, they will come up with the money. How short are they of the asking price? I really think it's cool that they are into and know something about these cars, but I don't think that should win them a huge discount. I got my '68 when I was 15 (I'm 16 now) I worked my ass off to make the money , spent some of my savings, and am still paying back my dad little by little. If they want it, they will find a way to come up with the money that you want. :Twocents:

wizkid

i dont think you should go too much lower than your asking price. im 16 and a charger is the only thing i want in this point of my life, but i dont try to buy something when im short of cash, i plan to get a job and work for it.

chrisII

Quote from: whitehatspecial on September 22, 2006, 08:07:22 PM
In most states anyone under 18 cannot enter into an agreement. IMO you are opening yourself up to headaches selling to kids. If they really want the car sell only to their parent. If not, they can ask for their money back a year or two from now and you'd have to give it to them.

I already stated in the origional post that I told them It has to be sold to an adult over 18 and i prefer it to be his father..when I was 17-18 I had a friend who helped me ALOT altho i also spent alot of time helping him with things. Im kinda thinking i would rather sell to him if i dont get top dollar this weekend than sell to somebody who would probably part it, or I would never see it again. at least if i sell it to a kid attending the high school a block from my house im likely to see it again..I tend to be the nice guy who will go out of my way to help somebody out, and normaly get hosed in the deal.  It seems at this point like if it doesnt sell I will store it as well as i can an see if he comes up with cash in the spring.

Brock Samson

T.O. and Whiz kid said it all...
can you wait for these kids to come up with the money?..
if ya' can, that would be a good thing...

bull

BigBlockSam

don't sell your charger. ounce you do it's gone. bills will never be gone . they will always keep coming. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Silver R/T

good to have young kids interested in classics
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

B5 Charger

Don't sell it you'll regret it forever trust me.

Silver R/T

the question would be can these kids afford the car? parts, resto costs, etc

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chrisII

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 23, 2006, 12:53:28 PM
the question would be can these kids afford the car? parts, resto costs, etc

I couldnt , but still found a way to hape a pretty cool charger when i was 17...I KNOW i will regrett selling, its more about space to store , and time to work on it. LOTS of people have stopped to look, but most loose interest at the price tag..efff em thats what its worth to me, an if it isnt worth the number i have in mind for offers to somebody else then im not guna let it go

41husk

Chris, I have bought and sold many cars and from reading this thread, If a older guy came with (barely more than you have invested in the car) with cash in hand, you would take that as well.  Just my opionion.  If the price is not worth you letting it go you won't sell, no matter how okd the buyer is.  Now I have not taken the same money from someone I knew was going to part the car out.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

6670charger

Depends on what you really need.  Do you NEED the money, or would it just be nice to have?  You said you don't have the time to work on it.  How long will that REALLY last?  A year or two, or ten or more?

I haven't had the time to work on my car for the last seven years with having kids and all.  Things are finally starting to get better time wise, and soon I'll have the time a want for working on my car.  Even the money.

Is your car costing you anything to store (other than space)?  If it isn't eating anything, and it isn't costing you anything to store it, you aren't out anything other than a Charger if you sell it.

I know your pain.  I sold an original V-code/4speed a couple of years ago for much less than it was probably worth because I needed the money.  I miss the car terribly, and know that I'll NEVER, EVER  touch a car like the one I sold, in like condition, for the price I sold it for.  I did pay off a bunch of debt, however, the debt came back; the Charger didn't. 

As to your giving these kids a break, I appreciate your good will.  However, many of the problems todays kids have are due to a lack of values; such as having to work for something they want.  For their own good, I'd let them save up however they can and come back when they have at least close to what you're asking.  They'll appreciate it more, and will also be a little older and a little more mature when they finally acheive their goal. 
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

Rolling_Thunder

noone gave me a discount...    i worked for my money and bought the Charger when I was 15  (5 years ago)....     if I can do it - so can they,.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Old Moparz

Make them cut your lawn, clean your gutters, take out your trash, wash & wax your cars, sealcoat your driveway, walk your dog, (or change the litter box if you have a cat) & then after a year goes by, sell it to them at a discount. If they can't come up with the money by then, look at all the work you didn't have to do in the meantime.  :D

I say forget an outright discount, they could do exactly what this "dumb" local kid I felt sorry for did, with 2 Dusters I sold him for $300 for the pair. He let them sit, but he put a killer stereo in the one that didn't run. Then a year later, sold them to a guy for $100, but kept the magnum wheels to "install" them on a Nova he got from an uncle that didn't run.   ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Silver R/T

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 23, 2006, 10:15:23 PM
Make them cut your lawn, clean your gutters, take out your trash, wash & wax your cars, sealcoat your driveway, walk your dog, (or change the litter box if you have a cat) & then after a year goes by, sell it to them at a discount. If they can't come up with the money by then, look at all the work you didn't have to do in the meantime.  :D

I say forget an outright discount, they could do exactly what this "dumb" local kid I felt sorry for did, with 2 Dusters I sold him for $300 for the pair. He let them sit, but he put a killer stereo in the one that didn't run. Then a year later, sold them to a guy for $100, but kept the magnum wheels to "install" them on a Nova he got from an uncle that didn't run.   ::)

exactly

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Lord Warlock

Coming up with the necessary funds to buy a dream is part and parcel of the deal.  Don't sell the kids short, they probably have plenty saved but may need more work, it would make more sense to sell them the car when they were 17 rather than 15.  I personally wouldn't sell the car to a 15 year old, I doubt the car could survive another 17 year old like myself.  But i see kids this old coming up with 10k for import cars so the generation isn't totally destitute, and a resourceful 15 year old will figure out where to get the money if he's serious.  Don't come off your price, even if they can't afford it.  If they can't afford the car initially, they certainly can't afford to keep it filled with gas to drive them from location to location.  By holding to your price, you even if you make it unattainable by the kids, they will be kicking themselves for not working odd jobs more to save enough funds, and it will be burned in their memory how they lost a great deal.  (Kind of like my missing out on a shelby gt500 and hemicuda).  And I'd been working for 5 years by the time i was 17, delivering papers every morning and doing yardwork.  My missed it memory was a 3000.00 new superbird on the showroom lot in 74, I still remember that hemi orange bird and the six pack 4spd car.  And six months after i got the charger I came across a 70 gto conv, ram air 4 400 and 4spd, a car that would bring six figures today, could have gotten it for an even trade.  Either way, if a kid doesn't learn how to save up for his dream car they won't be able to keep it running over the long haul.  And the best way to make sure a kid takes care of his car is to make him pay for it...full retail value.  The more work they put into the saving part, the better they take care of the dream car when they get it.  Its why I make my own kids pay for their own cars.  (at least half-.sigh, they're girls)
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

BigBlackDodge

89MOPAR

I sold a duster years ago to a young girl. $300 down and payments of $100 a month.  Talked with her parents first. They agreed it would be good for her in terms of managing money. She made the payments, i got what I needed out of the car. Signed the title over when she was thru.

All in all it worked out good. I see her still every year at the Seattle Mopars unlimited show !  :icon_smile_big:
Consider her converted to old cars and Mopars.
She is in her early 20's now [ and hot ! :icon_smile_cool: , but engaged  :'( ]
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

chrisII

well the kids dad (stepdad i guess) did come look at it , he wants the car too. But A trade came along for a nearly rust free 71 duster as an even trade. I had kinda intended to be getting another duster in a year or so when some other projects got cleaned up..well the money wasnt the biggest issue to me , I just knew i would never finish the charger so i really didnt want to store it. even tho i love the car I have found my duster to be a nicer daily driver as it fits into parking spaces, and manuvers better in trafffic. But it is a ROTT BOX, BONDO BUGGY. so in a few years its guna look like crap again the 71 has only 1 spot that neads a patch in the rr 1/4 and both fenders nead lower patch panels..but the car is pretty much solid. i know i will never find a nicer one unless i go down south or out west to get it and that isnt likely. I am keeping my wheels and tires , and my engine. and he is keeping the same.the duster actually has a better engine (that I used to own) and nice wheels , but i dont like em so thats just fine. he gets my spare charger parts (I dont have alot) and I get most of what the 71 duster neads+ a few things my other one neads. Im sure I will own another charger, but in reality I want one that is in a little bit better shape to start. the charger got me back into muscle cars after 12 years in race cars,but the duster seems to fit me better right now. As i thought about this deal I realised that once we sell a car and pay off bills. it always seems that we never have the cash around to buy the next one when it comes around so we are out a car. I would probably have ben ok with that as i have 2 other "toy cars" but this will be better in the long run..and i will probably get a chance at her back some day if i want.

Brock Samson

41husk

So you were selling your Charger to pay bills, and you traded even for a Duster, Who is paying the bills.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

chrisII

Ill keep making payments like i have ben..im not behind just wanted to pay some stuff off...I did sell a dakota this weekend tho, that money will pay bills, as will the money from the first duster when i sell it off at a later date

TruckDriver

Quote from: chrisII on September 26, 2006, 08:40:15 PM
I did sell a dakota this weekend tho

Yup, it was black and red sorta like mine..... Oh wait, it is the one I bought :icon_smile_big:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

41husk

Chris your a regular wheeler Dealer ;D
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904