News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

reverse lights.

Started by my69, September 17, 2006, 07:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

my69

I was doing the search on reverse lights, I really couldn't find much info on how the electricity flows through or how they work ???

I may need to have a "walk thru" On how they actually work?  My tail lights work.  MY brake lights work. Turn signals work. Trunk light works
All but the reverse lights? ??? 

Okay is there suppose to be  power coming from the solinoid switch That were the "brown" wire is attached to?  Or what? I not able to figure this out yet? IF there is I don't seem to have current there at the soilniod switch.

THE lights thems selves work "IF" I bench test them.

All the wiring harness on this car are new but the tail light harness AND the dash harness  the nuetral saftey switch is supposed to be new as well, when the 727 got rebuilt! So....

Ever sense I owned this car they never worked.  :icon_smile_sad:

Is there something I'm missing to check?

Nacho-RT74

ok, being a 69 you must have 3 prongs NSS where center pin is ground to starter relay, with a brown wire, then two black wires to outer pins. One it does have + 12 volts ALLWAYS, coming from accesories side of fusebox, so in accesories or run ignition switch position. The other one is the output to back up lamps that of course only has power when is on reverse.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chryco Psycho

power starts at the fuse block , goes through the bulkhead connector down to the NSS as Natcho said  & grounds through the bulbs to the body , they circuit is 12v , start treacing back to where you have power

Just 6T9 CHGR

If the NSS is a newer replacement (Standard etc.) then you might have to shim out the switch from the trans.

It seems the newer switches are longer abd dont make the proper contact with the rooster comb in th etrans.

John Kunkle explained this to me.  Mine don't work either after I changed my leaking orig NSS.  I havent gotten a chance to try and shim the switch (so it wont screw so far into the trans) yet.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

I guess I am lucky with mine since it is a manual.  The Standard part seemed to work fine for me.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Nacho-RT74

My standard new switch I mounted about 2 months ago ( internal oil leak ) is EXACTLY to the original from factory I had mounted
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

my69

Okay guys!

I done figured my problem out finallly ^-^    I kept reading these posts AND I went to work on the charger this past "weekEND"
And found out  that there seemed to be a wire broken from a "plug".  I want to say it's the connector for the radio. ::)
(it's a "white" wire).   ANYWAYS, I reattached it and  checked the connector at the neutral safety switch, got power goin to it.

But still had problems. ???   Later found out the "nuetral switch" wasn't working properly. >:( Got a different switch AND what ya know it worked  :yesnod:

GLAD you guys helped me out  :yesnod:

Just 6T9 CHGR

What "different" switch did you get?  An aftermarket ot good used original;?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

my69

It was an aftermarket I think Chris, I bought it from Richard  Ehrenberg from marlboro  New York. a few years ago. :angel:
I don't know if ya heard of him?

He does sell through "ebag" as well. His sellers name is  rehrenberg, If ya interested at all  ::)

Thanks again for those who helped out on my dilemma :icon_smile_approve:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yeah I know E-booger.   Im curious because the Standard Electric part I bought twice did not work correctly.  It doesnt engage the rooster comb in the trans fully....I still need to try the shimming out part or get an NOS one.
I havent heard anyone else have this problem as of yet......maybe its me ??? :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

my69

Well If I may, I like to try show what I figured out :-\

On the switch that I "took" out of the trans IS this one.

I'm not real good at posting pics IF IT DOESN"T load up please forgive me :-[

my69

I didn't think it worked  ???

i'll give it another try

my69

now lets see if they show?

my69

:-\

my69

Okay I know what needs to be done. I AM NOT going to use PHOTO BUCKET

It worked last time with out it.

Okay now I wanted to show what I come across with.  ::)

The white that was shown in that pic, You couldn't see the "contact" in which i think it's called. That is in the center that pokes through.
It should be out past that white piece!

The "other SWITCH" I installed  now is that way and the reverse light actually works now.

Winston

Just 6T9 CHGR

I see now.....do you happen to remember the brand?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

the white stuff is the reverse section of switch and IT IS REALLY the switch. The center contact is the GROUND to relay and works like a switch WITH the tranny gear cam.

I mean the cam just push and pull the white section to make reverse lights works IN switch, however the play between NSS and cam is what makes THE SWITCH function when the metallic center piece makes contact with the "naked" section of Tranny cam selector what is covered with a plastic like an isolator except on two points.

IMHO if you make to get out the center piece will works without problem... Or maybe the center piece is loosen and you are seeing the internal section of that.

John_Kunkel

The spring loaded metal center contact does all of the work in the switch, the plastic ring that surrounds the contact is also spring loaded in order to keep the switch in contact with the plastic shoe on the transmission lever (roostercomb).

The center contact is held retracted by the plastic shoe, when it aligns with either of the metal contacts on the roostercomb (Park and Neutral positions) it provides a ground for the starter relay; when the contact reaches the "divot" at the Reverse position, the contact is allowed to extend which closes the circuit for the backup lights.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Nacho-RT74

that is I wanted to mean... more less, LOL

my69

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 08, 2006, 07:20:06 AM
I see now.....do you happen to remember the brand?

I'm sorry Chris, (ebooger) didn't provide me with a box for it just the clear wrapper, when I purchased with some other stuff as well. :icon_smile_evil:
  Oh that I remember that there is a number stamped on the side  Something like 2010? :-\ So I don't know IF there is a way to "shim" as you mentioened earlier :-\

John! Yep I think your right!  IN FACT I know your right :yesnod: 

On your first part YOU QUOTED:The spring loaded metal center contact does all of the work in the switch, then you also quoted ;  the plastic ring that surrounds the contact is also spring loaded in order to keep the switch in contact with the plastic shoe on the transmission lever (roostercomb).

Hope you can find a switch! I wish I could help ya out more ::)
MAYBE ebooger  could help ya :icon_smile_big: