News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad Oil Filter

Started by Challenger340, September 16, 2006, 09:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Just a heads up, when running in a new Engine, don't ever Forget/Neglect to change the Oil filter, soon after the Cam break-in is completed.

Here's the story;
We were breaking in an ORIGINAL, but "resto" style '66 426 HEMI on the Dyno. Fired right away, setup immediately, did the Cam breakin period, then shut down for a lash check.

Now NORMALLY, we would dump the Oil at this point, change filter and cut it apart for inspection, complete the Valve Lash "hot" setting, THEN CONTINUE. We always change the Filter at this point for inspection( always some stuff from assembly)

MY FAULT ! I dunno why, maybe because the customer was present, or I was busy doing the Lash, or the damn phone kept ringing, or people bugging me, or, or or, but, somehow, only the Oil got dumped, and the same filter was left on the engine from the assembling and priming. My fault for being too darn busy, BAD continuity ! We usually allow the owners to be present, and cut costs if they wish to do some of the labour for themselves.

Re-fired for subsequent run-in, and mild pulls to seat rings, everything just "Puss".

Now remember this ain't a RACE deal,  just a nice resto type engine for an original numbers HEMI car.

CUT TO THE CHASE;
Subsequent soft tune runs up to 5500 rpm yield 490 h.p. Decent for a resto HEMI.

Then we shut down, I realize customer didn't change filter during Oil change !  Why ?? he asks.  Remember, we're old farts !

Dump Oil, find a mettalic sheen. Remove and cut apart Filter,  "HALF THE PAPER ELEMENT IS MISSING"  Can we say FACTORY DEFECTIVE OIL FILTER !

Out comes the camera, phone the Oil filter Company, ship the filter to they're tech. dept.

Subsequent to this, the Oil Filter company is paying for all damages, teardown, inspection, and redyno'ing of the Ol HEMI. Very stand up thing for a Huge Company like them to do. I had thought they would probably just said "sorry, and here's a new Oil Filter".
But such is NOT the case.  Filter Company is standing behind ALL parts and labour to the tune of 100 %, and thats a good thing for the HEMI owner and me.

Learning curve;  S**T HAPPENS !  ESPECIALLY WITH OLD FARTS ! But always remember to change the Oil filter. No guarantees the one you're replacing is any better than the one you're removing, but the chances are one of 'em will be good !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Blown70

Challenger340

NOPE, no manuf. name.  Could have been ANYONE's Oil Filter, from any Manufacturer. 

Just a reminder guys, always change WHOEVERS Filter, right away, or very soon, on a new engine.

moparguy01

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 16, 2006, 09:45:59 AM
NOPE, no manuf. name.  Could have been ANYONE's Oil Filter, from any Manufacturer. 

Just a reminder guys, always change WHOEVERS Filter, right away, or very soon, on a new engine.

yea but if its a fram there is a real easy solution to keep this from happening. You know those oil filter wrenches? use it, and take fram, then relocate it to the garbage can and/or light it on fire. replace with a wix.

glad they're paying for the damages.

Silver R/T

Ya I would be interested to know what brand name it was too
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dodge freak

Who to say that filter would have last 3,000 miles after a break in. That filter was no good, after 2,500 miles there could be as much junk in the filter as there is after a break in. I bet it was not a K&N filter. It would seem a little wastefull to use a $10 filter for a 1/2 hour break in run but maybe not, I would rather not have a problem to begin with-so the oil filter company is paying for the repair-the owner is still out a car for a while.

RD

excuse me for being inquisitive, but why do you not list the manufacturer's name?  did you sign a non-disclosure statement?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

deputycrawford

Well, I would just like to know because they are actually trying to make a better product and will probably check with; and change quality control. That might actually be a product you might want to buy in the near future....after they fix the f#$k up. I might actually look into the company in the future. If my engine blew from a possible filter defect, then I would want the company to pay for the entire repair. He's right; it could happen to any of the filter companies.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

grizzlygiff

I think any manufacturer of any product will have an occasional defect. I remember 15 years ago I was changing oil in my 68 before going to Mopar Nats and when I fired up the engine,no pressure and really noisy lifters. I was puzzled, called my parts house where I had bought the filter and asked them about it, they said come get another filter, try that first. I put on a new one and everything was fine. This was a wix filter and only time I've ever had a problem with them. I still use wix. The fact that this company was willing to stand behind their product is something rare these days.

1973_WP29P

We shouldn't know which manufacturer it is.  This would only give you doubts about using one on your engine.

I sell WIX filters and see very little defects.  Most of the (alleged) defects I see are for a missing gasket.  Does this change how I feel about WIX?  No, I still use them on any of my cars.

Every company has defects.  You may buy a certain branded product and never have a defect, but that doesn't mean they don't have any. 

I also sell MOOG chassis parts and have to warranty them every day.  Does this mean that MOOG sucks?  No, not in my opinion.  I only use MOOG ball joints and tie rods.  Most of the defects I have to warranty are not the parts fault, it's the owners fault for not keeping them properly greased. :flame:  Then they have the balls to complain: "This is the third set of ball joints I've had to replace." :flame: :flame: :flame:

So the only reason I would want to know which manufacturer it is would be to know who stands behind thier work!  But is it important to know?  No.

Rod

RD

Quote from: 1973_WP29P on September 17, 2006, 09:01:32 AM
We shouldn't know which manufacturer it is.  This would only give you doubts about using one on your engine.

So the only reason I would want to know which manufacturer it is would be to know who stands behind thier work!  But is it important to know?  No.

Rod

I happen to disagree with you.  I, for one, would like to know who the manufacturer is.  This is not the first time that such a defect has happened, and if it is the same oil filter having the defect, then as a consumer, I should have the right to know about their product and its failures.

This is not a witch hunt, this is an attempt by me to become an informed consumer.  I have every right to that.  If a company sells their wares on the open market, then they are responsible to highlight their defects.  If this was not the case, then we would never have such a term as "manufacturer recall".

I will ultimately buy what I want to buy based upon my knowledge of what products are good and bad, but how will I know if I do not get to evaluate the products that have defects?

If all I am fed is good stuff and nothing bad, then I guess all the products are good then huh?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Challenger340

Quote from: RD on September 16, 2006, 10:05:56 PM

excuse me for being inquisitive, but why do you not list the manufacturer's name?  did you sign a non-disclosure statement?

No, I did not sign a "non-disclosure" statement.

But I am also not the owner of the engine, I'm merely the engine "builder and tester".

However, I don't wish to compromise the Engine owners arrangements on the Warranty, if he did in fact sign a disclosure statement, of which I'm unsure.

Personally, in my business, this isn't the first time I've seen defective Filters, from many brand names. Hence, my belief, they all have some bad ones "out there" from time to time. This is however, the first time I've seen a Big Company "step up" this way !

My only intention with the post was to re-enforce the learning curve for everyone, on the need to change the Oil Filter on new engines ASAP, within a reasonable timeframe after run-in.

Only my opinion, but I think it's just good practise for everyone.

deputycrawford

My only statement here is that if you know you didn't sign a disclosure statement then you should be free to speak about the incident. I use the Wix Gold but do have the right to be an informed consumer. I want to know a company that admits they need constant change and stand behind their product.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.