News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New build smoking badly???????

Started by deputycrawford, September 10, 2006, 05:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chryco Psycho

or the Ultra Black with high oil resisitance

my69

I must say guys that this thread is quite INTERESTING.  ::)  I for one would  say that this "could be a learning experience" from an innocent by stander view

deputycrawford

I will try that guys. Thanks for the info. It seems to smoke only after warm up. I also had to change the trans mount. I ripped a stock one in half with the solid engine mounts. The only one I had around was the poly mount. I hope it holds without cracking the tail shaft. The intake with the paper gaskets sounds interesting. I am driving the car to the Chrysler Classic at Norwalk. When I get back I will order the parts.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

deputycrawford

Chryco, what brand is the 1214 or 1215?  I like to use Fel-Pro but I will use anything that actually works.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chryco Psycho

deputycrawford

The 1214 is the short deck gasket. The 1215 is the RB deck gasket. I got the 1214 and attempted to put it on. The intake had not been milled and won't start the bolts. I will have it milled in the morning and hope it fixes the problem. Wil let everyone know.

deputycrawford

I had the intake milled .020 on both sides and the bolts started nicely. The intake seems to have sealed nicely. The car still starts with a smoke cloud. It doesn't smoke that bad while running but starts with a cloud. I will have to figure out something else.

dodge freak

I believe that means valve seals or the guilds themselves are bad, lots of motors do that. If its very bad you may need new guilds in the heads.

my69

Deputy,
I must say you have quite an adventure going on. Any more good news?
Just concerned :icon_smile_shy:

Winston

deputycrawford

My 69. It still smokes during start up when Its been sitting for a short time. It smokes only during start up. It then settles down and runs great. I have taken it to 6500 rpms and it runs like a rapped ape.   Well, if a rapped ape actually runs. I have been gaining trust in the engine lately. it doesn't smoke during driving. It just goes through first gear WAY TOO FAST.. I gues that means its just enough. I am hearing more about those Perfect Circle seals doing the smoking thing. I will have to deal with it I guess. Anyway, I am finally having a good time with this engine.

73 Charger 440

A puff of smoke during start up, downshifting or decelerating is usually valve seals. Put a brand new motor into a friends Cobra which was built by a brand name shop... broke the motor in as should but it kept on smoking (oil) for too long... Ended up being the heads were machined wrong for the valve seals and guides.

deputycrawford

Morepwr, its more like blue smoke with a strong smell of burning Valvoline VR-1 20-50. I doesn't even do it anymore during deceleration. At least not that I notice anymore. It seems to be coming together. I just have to let those "Zero Gap" Total Seal rings try to seat and live with the seals for now. I might pull the heads another time and inspect the seals AGAIN. Just not right away. I just re timed it and put NGK V-Power plugs in it. It stopped popping on and of of 7 cylinders. Runs great. I will drive it to work later today and piss off the sergeant.....heh heh heh....my plan is working perfectly.. :icon_smile_evil:

Steve P.

Quote from: deputycrawford on October 07, 2006, 11:46:31 PM
Morepwr, its more like blue smoke with a strong smell of burning Valvoline VR-1 20-50. I doesn't even do it anymore during deceleration. At least not that I notice anymore. It seems to be coming together. I just have to let those "Zero Gap" Total Seal rings try to seat and live with the seals for now. I might pull the heads another time and inspect the seals AGAIN. Just not right away. I just re timed it and put NGK V-Power plugs in it. It stopped popping on and of of 7 cylinders. Runs great. I will drive it to work later today and piss off the sergeant.....heh heh heh....my plan is working perfectly.. :icon_smile_evil:

Hey Deputy, no need to pull the heads to change the seals. You can put compressed air to each cylinder and use a spring compressor to pull the retainers and springs. Change out the seal and move on to the next valve. It's not a bad job. Just make sure you get a spring compressor for MOPAR.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

deputycrawford

Hmmmmm....I will keep that in mind. I do know my guides have been machined for "Perfect Circle" seals. I hope other seals will work if I decide to change them to a different brand. I will ask around for the fitting for the air. I do have a 27 gal compressor I almost never use.

Steve P.

Well put that thing to work bro.. Compressors need a little love to ya know.....  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

deputycrawford

I will have to start that compressor soon. Hell, I have so few miles on the car that I haven't even checked the lash on all the valves. I will have to tear into it again soon. My compressor will thank me.

firefighter3931

Ok Dep....where's that time slip !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

MorePwr

Quote from: deputycrawford on October 07, 2006, 11:46:31 PM

Glad to hear it....Pissing off the seargent, I mean :yesnod:

deputycrawford

Firefighter, I wish I could get one. I am dying to know if this car got to my goal of 12.70's. The sky has fallen every Wednesday for awhile now. The forcast is calling for the weather going to crap here by tomorrow night. might snow by thursday night. Looks like I wait till spring.  The sergeant is still mad though.

Steve P.

SNOW?? ?? ??   :o  Where the heck do you live??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

deputycrawford

Toledo, Ohio. They are talking a slight chance of rain and snow mix during the possible lows of 31-35 over night. I am around 50 miles from the canucks. I'm on Lake Erie. MMMM..... Canadian beer.....MMMMM :cheers:

firefighter3931

Quote from: deputycrawford on October 09, 2006, 08:48:33 PM
Toledo, Ohio. They are talking a slight chance of rain and snow mix during the possible lows of 31-35 over night. I am around 50 miles from the canucks. I'm on Lake Erie. MMMM..... Canadian beer.....MMMMM :cheers:

Canadian beer is right.....converted a bunch of Michigan and Ohio boys to our fine Alexander Keiths brew.  :cheers:

Snow allready in Toledo....cripes ! It's like 65* up here in the great white north.....downright balmy  :nana:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

Not snow yet, just a possibility of it by thursday night. I hope to drive it many happy high reving miles before I take it to storage in my sisters garage. I must have my heated garage for other cars to work on during the winter months. I didn't put cable TV and a phone in my garage for nothing. :icon_smile_cool:

Steve P.

Damn man,,, It's only October!! They won't be salting the roads for a while yet..

I grew up on Lake Ontario. I know just how you feel..   I wonder how things are in Rochester?
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida