News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who restores 69 Headrests

Started by Spartan, September 09, 2006, 09:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

I have been missin from the boards for a little while.  Wife had twin boys 6 weeks ago so we have been busy.

I was going over my seat work and noticed I needed a new chome band and probably dyed since the outside edges facing the windows are blackened (sundamage I am guessng).  Who restores the 69 style head rests?
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Ghoste

There is a place called "Not Just Headrests".
409 Sappington Barracks Road
St. Louis, Missouri
63125-5430
314-894-9424 office
314-495-2494 cell
http://notjustheadrests.com/
headrest@aol.com

resq302

First,  congrats on your twins.  My wife is due in Dec.  As for the chrome bands, I think Legendary Auto Interiors has the bands and you can spray dye your old head rests.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

histoy

There's a guy selling the chrome bands on eBay.   There was a set on there yesterday.  $14.95 BIN if I remember right.    5 years ago I sent a set to Legendary for restoration.   They sent them to someone else to do the work.  Came back and the color did not match the rest of the Legendary interior color.  I wasn't happy. 

Chatt69chgr

Headrest chrome bands and the gaskets that go underneath available from Krusin Moons, 313 Johnstown, PA 15905.  Tel 814-255-7993.  E-mail is KRZNMOON@ATLANTICBB.NET.  No website.  Cost was $20 for the pair of bands and $10 for pair of gaskets.  $6 s&h.  I just looked at mine and note that the back of the band says 3M.  So I suspect that the chrome band is a commonly available trim from 3M company that this outfit has determined is a very close match.  They appear the same as mine.  I think anyone could make the "gasket" if they wanted to.  It is the plate that covers the hole on the underside of the headrest where the chrome posts go in.  Mine were missing and I suspect that the former owner of the cars two children probably worried them down and then broke them off during their many hours of boredom in the backseat.  They appear to just push on.  I havn't tried to replace the bands yet or redye my headrests but I seem to recall reading that you have to be super careful to get the old band off without ripping the vinyl.  If anyone has done this and has any tips, I would appreciate hearing from them.  Thanks.

resq302

Do you have a picture of what this "gasket" is?  I have no idea as to what you are talking about.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Spartan

Has anyone used Just Headrests before and how was their work?  I don't have the time to do it myself right now.

Is the gasket that black piece under the actual headrest portion where the posts go in that cover  the opening?
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Chatt69chgr

I havn't figured out how to post pictures yet but, yes, the gasket is that black thing you are referring to that covers the hole the post go in to.  Gasket was probably the wrong term to use.  Sorry for the confusion.

resq302

Is it a piece of thin plastic or a piece of vinyl?  Also, should it be black on all cars or be the same color as the interior?  What retains that piece to the underside of the headrest?
Brian

Spartan

I think they are all black.  not sure if its glued in or tape or something.  Mine is original and almost feels like a paper texture to it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on September 10, 2006, 10:45:35 AM
Headrest chrome bands and the gaskets that go underneath available from Krusin Moons, 313 Johnstown, PA 15905. Tel 814-255-7993. E-mail is KRZNMOON@ATLANTICBB.NET. No website. Cost was $20 for the pair of bands and $10 for pair of gaskets. $6 s&h. I just looked at mine and note that the back of the band says 3M. So I suspect that the chrome band is a commonly available trim from 3M company that this outfit has determined is a very close match. They appear the same as mine. I think anyone could make the "gasket" if they wanted to. It is the plate that covers the hole on the underside of the headrest where the chrome posts go in. Mine were missing and I suspect that the former owner of the cars two children probably worried them down and then broke them off during their many hours of boredom in the backseat. They appear to just push on. I havn't tried to replace the bands yet or redye my headrests but I seem to recall reading that you have to be super careful to get the old band off without ripping the vinyl. If anyone has done this and has any tips, I would appreciate hearing from them. Thanks.

Krusin Moons does have a website http://www.krusinmoons.com/

I had mine done there.   I was pretty happy with the repair of my cracks but the black dye job came out too shiny.  Doesnt match the rest of the interior too well.
Also my cores werent the greatest...they are/were wavy.
The "gaskets" are vinyl pieces thet go over the posts ans finish off the underside of the headrest.   They are glued in place.
They list them on their site.

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

my69

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2006, 11:32:00 PM
There is a place called "Not Just Headrests".
409 Sappington Barracks Road
St. Louis, Missouri
63125-5430
314-894-9424 office
314-495-2494 cell
http://notjustheadrest.com/
headrest@aol.com

Is that a website listed here?
I couldn't get it down loaded?
  :ahum:

Ghoste

My mistake.  There needs to be an "s" in there, which I have now added.  Try the link again and it should be good.  Sorry.

resq302

I am guessing that there is supposed to be a plastic push button or pin that holds the gasket to the underside of the headrest?  If so, does anyone know where to get them?
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T