News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TRIPLE BLACK 69 R/T SE STRIPE DELETE,LEAVE THE VINYL OR LOSE THE VINYL ???

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, September 07, 2006, 10:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

oops..  :shruggy: OK here's the front, i had the argent part of the grill in semi gloss back then... you can't see the angle of the stripe in these pics but it was pretty radical..  :yesnod:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 15, 2007, 11:45:22 AM
Quote from: charge69 on November 15, 2007, 11:36:40 AM
I like them with or without the vinyl top and have considered leaving mine off when I restore mine. Pretty sure mine will have the vinyl top back on it when restored as it does provide a nice contrast for my color combination.  One thing to consider is the fact that in 1969, all R/T's came standard with the vinyl top and it would have to be special ordered to have the R/T delivered without the vinyl top!
It will look fantastic either way but I would put the vinyl top back on it.  Not as easy as you might think to put the vinyl top back on it if you weld up the holes for the trim if you change your mind.

Thats odd?  I thought all SE's came with vinyl tops and was told , no.  You say all R/T,s had vinyl tops?

:rotz:  vinyl top was optional on ALL models

Like brock said the R/T emblem as well as the R/T cut out in the stripe is centered in the body line.....bottom of the "R" on the line....top of the "T" on the line
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

on most Chargers i prefer no vinyl top, but on black cars a black v/t looks better :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Brock Samson

i duuno, i'd trust Chris's opinion on this one... looks pretty low to me..

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 15, 2007, 01:39:34 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 15, 2007, 11:45:22 AM
Quote from: charge69 on November 15, 2007, 11:36:40 AM
I like them with or without the vinyl top and have considered leaving mine off when I restore mine. Pretty sure mine will have the vinyl top back on it when restored as it does provide a nice contrast for my color combination.  One thing to consider is the fact that in 1969, all R/T's came standard with the vinyl top and it would have to be special ordered to have the R/T delivered without the vinyl top!
It will look fantastic either way but I would put the vinyl top back on it.  Not as easy as you might think to put the vinyl top back on it if you weld up the holes for the trim if you change your mind.

Thats odd?  I thought all SE's came with vinyl tops and was told , no.  You say all R/T,s had vinyl tops?

:rotz:  vinyl top was optional on ALL models

Like brock said the R/T emblem as well as the R/T cut out in the stripe is centered in the body line.....bottom of the "R" on the line....top of the "T" on the line

I believe that was 100% the plan!....now did they all get put on in the factory that exact , probably not :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

1FastCharger

66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

As far as triple-black versus double-black, I'd go with the 3x.. The vinyl adds a bit more of elegance to the charger lines. The problem is further down the line where it MAY be a potential for future rust if not prepped probably.....

Good luck on your decision...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 15, 2007, 02:48:27 PM
I hear you, but if this doesn't challenge the stripe postion theory, nothing does.  It's for sale in Hemmings and about as original as it gets.

except for that K5 Blazer trailer hitch :rotz:

That stripe is waaaay off....  whats to say that quarter wasnt repaired 35 years ago @ Maaco when they first opened?  I seriously doubt anyone would have accepted that car new with a stripe like that.  Lower than supposed to maybe, but crooked like that?  never say never though.

Thank you for the props, but I am in no way an expert and I don't profess to be but I have done a lot of homework on these cars in the past 10 years since I have owned mine...

PS---anyone notice that this topic is over a year old????
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 15, 2007, 04:12:28 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 15, 2007, 02:48:27 PM
I hear you, but if this doesn't challenge the stripe postion theory, nothing does.  It's for sale in Hemmings and about as original as it gets.

except for that K5 Blazer trailer hitch :rotz:

That stripe is waaaay off....  whats to say that quarter wasnt repaired 35 years ago @ Maaco when they first opened?  I seriously doubt anyone would have accepted that car new with a stripe like that.  Lower than supposed to maybe, but crooked like that?  never say never though.

Thank you for the props, but I am in no way an expert and I don't profess to be but I have done a lot of homework on these cars in the past 10 years since I have owned mine...

PS---anyone notice that this topic is over a year old????

I was noticing that the car in the pics with the hitch had a body side molding on it at one time , maybe someone purposely cheated the stripe down so the molding wouldn't run thru the cutout? :shruggy: :scratchchin:

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:

And furthermore...looking at this pic....I'd almost swear that this is a Coronet stripe on the car....notice how it goes straight across the trunk?   A Charger stripe tapers to a point in the middle of the trunk.  This is probably why the stripe is crooked as well because the quarter pieces are different as well.
Granted this stripe is real old but definately looks to be replaced  :Twocents:

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Heres a good view of the taper I'm referring to
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Fitz73Chrgr

Keep the vinyl, keep the quarter panel emblem.  Neat looking car.   :2thumbs:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

69_500

Hey your forgot to mention that there was one car that was standard with a vinyl top in 1969? THE SUNROOF CARS, all got vinyl tops.

Sorry had to throw my hat in the ring too.

I think that the stripe on the car listed in hemmings is from a coronet as well, or one of the early repro's from the late 70's to early 80's.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 2fast4u on September 11, 2006, 09:48:17 PM
     IMHO!               As much as I hate outdoor upholstery, I would keep it as a part of the car mostly due to its condition and rarity!!  It does accent the coke bottle design as well as make the car look like it has a cockpit with the vinyl top and chrome trim!

2fast

HOLY CRAP! I did a model exactly like that! Black, black interior, black vinyl, R/T emblems--stripe delete, dogdishes, redline tires... :drool5:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 15, 2007, 06:22:36 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 15, 2007, 04:59:28 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 15, 2007, 04:37:46 PM
  My god your car is so friggin sharp. Also, there is the SE with no vinyl top proof.

Huh?   where :scope:
:o  O  I thought that was your car with the red tail stripe.  And the SE without the vinyl top is the picture from Hemmings you posted.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

By the way, I vote keep it the same. Keep the top, and keep the R/T emblems. Just add some steelies and dogdishes and it will look great :coolgleamA:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 15, 2007, 06:29:10 PM
My god your car is so friggin sharp. Also, there is the SE with no vinyl top proof.

:o  O  I thought that was your car with the red tail stripe.  And the SE without the vinyl top is the picture from Hemmings you posted.

I say huh again??  That is my orange car with the black stripe....

I was questioning the SE comment originally
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 15, 2007, 06:43:15 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 15, 2007, 06:29:10 PM
O.K then again I say,

I say huh again??  That is my orange car with the black stripe....

I was questioning the SE comment originally
Got ya, I think?  Come on man, look at that super clear picture, the car is amazing 40 years after it was first built. I take it by this time you fiqured out it was an RTSE minus a vinyl top car, that you posted on this post from 2006. :lol:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 15, 2007, 11:24:16 AM
what ever happened?..  :shruggy:

here's my R/T S.E. originaly had a tan top and med bronze paint... Mine was 3xBlack for ten years... BTW...
anyhow, the bottom of the R and the top of the T straddle the crease...

Hey Brock, good point.  Whatever happened? :shruggy:  The guy has had over a year to make up his mind.  Well :icon_smile_question:

1968 Charger B5

1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

Brock Samson

TheAutoArchaeologist

Here's my stripe delete 69 R/T SE, before the stripe went on.

Here's the latest, with some work.

Ryan

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Devil on November 16, 2007, 01:05:42 AM
Here's my stripe delete 69 R/T SE, before the stripe went on.

Here's the latest, with some work.

Ryan

SweeeT.  I love white top/stripe Chargers