News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

restoring factory gauges and radio - help!

Started by Pistolpete, September 06, 2006, 01:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistolpete

just getting ready to restore the gauges (facing) for my 69 RT, I seem to remember someone talking about a "kit" that can be purchased to re-face the gauges, does anyone have a number or website where I can get it?
Also looking for someone that will restore the factory radio?

Thx
Pete
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

smokinrt

Quote from: Pistolpete on September 06, 2006, 01:39:28 PM
just getting ready to restore the gauges (facing) for my 69 RT, I seem to remember someone talking about a "kit" that can be purchased to re-face the gauges, does anyone have a number or website where I can get it?

Thx
Pete
Pistolpete,
Had my guages done earlier this year.  Stay away from Autoinstruments.com.  I have heard good reviews regarding Redline.  Year One has a kit for guages.  Go to the internet and you'll find a company that does only kits.

Good luck
Smokinrt

Chatt69chgr

Restoration of factory thumbwheel radio------Wards Classic Car Radio Repair, 131 Culps Dr., Huntsville, AL 35811.  Phone 256-852-0955.  His e-mail is glw@mchsi.com.  He did my AM for $75 plus s&h.  Got it back pretty quick.  Think he charges about double that for am/fm---don't recall.  He specializes in MOPAR radios.  I looked and looked for someone to do this and stumbled across him right in my backyard.  I live just down the road in Chattanooga.  Funny thing is my car was sold originally new in Huntsville. 

rare69

i had my gauges restored by autoinstraments, and they look absolutely beautiful and have been totally rebuilt and tested and are guaranteed to work perfectly or send them back and they will make it right. no cheap stickers or short cuts taken

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Pistolpete on September 06, 2006, 01:39:28 PM

Thx
Pete

I don't really now about tech quality itself, but I can talk about a GREAT PERSONAL service from www.turnswitch.com
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Pistolpete

Cool, thanks guys.
Seems to be a bit of a debate over Autoinstruments quality here?
Anybody used the performance graphics kits/services?

Tx
Pete
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Paul G

I had my gauges rebuilt by Auto Instruments. Sent the whole cluster to them. It came back with the Speedometer still jumping and the instruments would not read correctly. I replaced the speedo cable a second time. No help. I pulled the cluster back out and sent it back. They had to redo the speedometer. When it came back the speedo movement was smooth but it reads 5mph slow. I found the instrument voltage regulator was bad. Had to replace it myself. I am not pulling the cluster back out again to have them calibrate the speedo again. In a nutshell I would not recommend Auto Instruments!
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Pistolpete

cool, thanks guys, you've definitely influenced my decision! I think reline it is!!!!
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

smokinrt

Quote from: Paul G on September 09, 2006, 11:50:16 PM
I had my gauges rebuilt by Auto Instruments. Sent the whole cluster to them. It came back with the Speedometer still jumping and the instruments would not read correctly. I replaced the speedo cable a second time. No help. I pulled the cluster back out and sent it back. They had to redo the speedometer. When it came back the speedo movement was smooth but it reads 5mph slow. I found the instrument voltage regulator was bad. Had to replace it myself. I am not pulling the cluster back out again to have them calibrate the speedo again. In a nutshell I would not recommend Auto Instruments!
Paulg,
I can sympathize with your AI problem, I would recommend all others run the opposite direction.  Anyway, since they restored all my guages, my speedometer does not work, maybe it's their work or maybe it's the new speedo cable I replaced at the same time.  I'm writing you to get your recommendation on what to do first, send it back or replace the cable again.  I get no speed dial movement.

Thanks for any suggestion
smokinrt
Bryan

Paul G

Quote from: smokinrt on September 24, 2006, 04:23:01 PM
Quote from: Paul G on September 09, 2006, 11:50:16 PM
Paulg,
I can sympathize with your AI problem, I would recommend all others run the opposite direction.  Anyway, since they restored all my guages, my speedometer does not work, maybe it's their work or maybe it's the new speedo cable I replaced at the same time.  I'm writing you to get your recommendation on what to do first, send it back or replace the cable again.  I get no speed dial movement.

Thanks for any suggestion
smokinrt
Bryan

Try spinning the speedo cable with your electric drill conected to the trans side of the cable and see what happens. Make sure that the speedo cable is turning at the speedo end of it when the drill is running. I am not sure which way the drill is supposed to turn, so try it both ways. One way will be like moving the car in reverse gear. No movement of the speedo in reverse. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

69BlackChargerRT

I concur.  Auto Instruments is not trust worthy or perform quality work. My cluster came back worse than sent out, and they lost my bezels.  When I got my bezels back, they were crap and cracked.  Not worth the head ache or the $$$$$$$$$$$$.  Use anybody but AI!!!!!