News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 axles?

Started by moparguy01, September 05, 2006, 05:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

after removing my old bearings to install green bearings, I found someone previously had cut into the axle with a torch replacing the bearings. it is cut down around 1/8" maybe slightly more.

im running a 10.5:1 440 with a large cam, which should be around 500 horsepower or so. My question is should I just buy aftermarket axles? I'd hate to toss it together with the old axle and have one act like a hand grenade in my rear end.

the other is are the Yukon brand axles made from 1050 steel sold by Mancini decent enough for this application? or should i go look straight at mosers?

the car is not going to be drag races exclusively. I will be driving it on the street some, but also on the track some.

thanks for the oppinions in advance.

dodge freak

Used axles get twisted and will break after it gets turn so much. I remember when guys would take a fresh stock axle-this is when you could buy them brand new from the dealer-and spray White paint on the splines and draw a black line about 5". Every so offten they would pull the alxe's out and when the line moved so much-I can't remember how much-they knew it was getting ready to break so they changed them.

Your axles are so old now I would change them if you can afford too, what ones you need not sure but they all should be better than stock.

Ghoste

I agree.  I can't tell you much about the Yukon axles but if you call Mancini and talk to Wes, he'll be up front about their quality.  He's a straight shooter and won't bs you just to get a sale.

firefighter3931

Yukon axles are great.....i wouldn't have a problem running them behind any 440.  ;D Yes, by all means replace them.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I would replace them either with aftermarket or at least get a decent set of used axles

NYCMille

I just recently replaced my stock axles with Moser axles - really nice product and the bearings are fully sealed.