News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Rebuild

Started by rascal, September 05, 2006, 03:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rascal

Hey Mopar nuts,

Last fall I blew the rear seal out of my 383 in my 67 Charger and did some motor damage.
It still will run, but when I apply any power at all I get a loud deep knock.  I am remodeling
my garage with an addition so I can get an engin hoist in front of the car.  I have quite a bit
of general auto motive skills but have never pulled an engine.  Don't get me wrong, I am pretty
good with most anything automotive.  I am also going to attempt to overhaul it my self.  My
question is this.  Does anyone know where I can find maybe some step by step directions. 

Thanks Rascal

Steve P.

Hey Rascal. Welcome to the family.. You will like it here....

There really isn't any set directions on removing your engine. There are plenty of books that will tell to (REMOVE THE NEG. TERMINAL) .  Most of it is common nuts and bolts sense..  A few things I would pay attention to is that you make sure you have good solid stands to put the car on. We don't need any spilled blood!!  I normally start with draining the coolant. While it's draining I remove the hood and then remove all wiring going to the engine. (If your not sure what everything is, mark it). The if it has power steering I pull the pump and wire tie it to the battery tray. That should keep it out of the way.. Once the rad. is empty, pull it, the shroud and fan. Next I move on to the fuel line. I stick a bolt in the outlet of the hose to keep from dumping fuel. You may get a little from the pump, but it is usually not much. Next would be the motor mounts, exhaust and then torque converter bolts. The last thing I pull is the tranny to motor bolts. I use a floor jack with a large square of 3/4 plywood under the tranny pan to hold it up.

Now unless I have forgotten anything you should be ready to lift it out. 

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any questions..

;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Charger1970

:scratchchin:

I think you have to completely remove the passenger-side motor mount/bracket. Otherwise....sounds about right. It's all just nuts and bolts.  :thumbs:

Are you planning to remove the engine with the transmission still attached?
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

rascal

Thanks guy's,  and I will be pulling the engine without the transmission attached.

Again thanks and I hope to get started some time after the Wiscosin Deer hunt in November.

rascal