News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I did a REALLY DUMB thing with the Charger today!

Started by RECHRGD, September 04, 2006, 08:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I'm a 58 year old professional and know better than to pull the stunt I did today.  I would also repremand anybody on this site for such spupid actions.  That said, I was returning home from a car show in Northern Idaho today and got stuck behind a bunch of slow moving RV's and cars on a two lane interstate.  I couldn't see who was holding up everybody and I was about a 1/3 mile back in the pack.  After a good amount of time and nobody trying to pass the offending vehicle, I pulled out into the left lane and saw a wide open road ahead for a good mile or so.  The adreniline kicked in and I floored the Charger.  Within 4 or 5 vehicles passed I was doing well over 100 mph and backed off a little but was still accellerating.  When I reached the front on the pack, there was a '64 Chevy from the car show that evidently did not want any bugs sticking to the front of his ride.  I blew by him at 125mph+ with my foot off the gas (decellerating).  My initial feeling was that the guy in that Chevy must now know how much he was pissing people off behind him.  In a few moments I went from my 20 year old mindset back to 58 and realized that I could have not only totalled the Charger, but killed myself and others along the way.  Most of the time I drive this car my wife is with me and I drive like an old lady, but when I'm by myself I have a tendency to revert back to my youth.  Feeling 20 again is great but this move was just plain stupid.  BTW the Charger felt great at speed and I wish I had a video with sound of the people in the Chevy as I flashed by them.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

bull

No harm no foul. The old girl probably needed the carbon blown out of her anyway.

RD

SHAME ON YOU!!!

man, i wish you had a video too! that would have been awesome seeing you blow the doors off the chebbie!!!! :D :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Sweet T

Congratulations, that's what I call fun.  I'm sure they thought it was cool to see the old Charger in action doing what it does best.  I agree it's not the smartest thing to do or legal but hell it's good to drop the hammer now and then.  Besides how are Chargers suppose to keep their badass image if we don't do things like that now and then?
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

nh_mopar_fan

The real jerk was the clown in the Chebbie who should've pulled over at some point and let everyone else go by.

69charger2002

good job. i agree, not smart looking back, but no harm no foul. i do it sometimes too. not to that extent. never hurts to stomp them once in a while
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

daytonalo

I just pooped my pant's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FourSpeedRT

Hey ReCharged....was that the Spirit Lake show you attended? I was going to go,but had things to do at home.....wished I had gone now.....good story tho....something to think about for sure.....take care....FourSpeedRT.

derailed

Only thing im wondering is   Why did ya back off it???

AirborneSilva

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on September 04, 2006, 09:27:44 PM
The real jerk was the clown in the Chebbie who should've pulled over at some point and let everyone else go by.

I agree, it's also the law in Idaho that if you are holding up 5 or more cars that you are suppose to pull over to let them by....  Man I'll bet it felt great to open her up too  :drive:

RECHRGD

Quote from: FourSpeedRT on September 04, 2006, 09:53:30 PM
Hey ReCharged....was that the Spirit Lake show you attended? I was going to go,but had things to do at home.....wished I had gone now.....good story tho....something to think about for sure.....take care....FourSpeedRT.
Yea!  It was the Spirit Lake Show.  They had over 200 cars and was well put together.  The clouds helped keep the temps down too.  you should have come.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Bandit4142

Every once in awhile you need to let her open up and breathe!  :p

Could have been worse, the last time I did that and couldn't see who was leading, it turned out to be a State Trooper!    You should have seen me trying to explain that ticket to my wife.  :p
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

triple_green

Bob,

I'm 47 and still haven't grown up when it comes to the Charger. (and other things).

Congratulations, you had a blast and no harm came from it.

I am not in a position to throw stones ::) :yesnod:

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

73rallye440magnum

Well, you had fun, right? And was any harm done? No. Just let the Charger breathe a little, I bet she needed a little air. I must say, I'm jealous. The Chevy in the front makes the story that much better.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Dennis K

So which is worse, the shame you feel for what you did, or the fact that you have a smile on your face that you can't knock off with a stick?

dodge freak

The only safe speed is zero and even then it could get hit. This is why people have insurance and if they don't have it they should not drive a car worth more than they can afford to lose.

Sorry if that sounds cold or whatever but there is so much that can happen - a deer jumps out in front of you, a short circuit starts a fire,  theres allways a drunk to look out for and those teenagers try to hit 100 mph for the first time. Anybody who's been driving long enough knows ANYTHING can happen on the road no matter how slow or safe you feel you are driving.

myk

Agreed, but accelerating onto the wrong side of the road just to "show off," that's right, "show off" for the masses just increases the chances of something going wrong.  Is risking bodily injury or losing lives, or more importantly your Charger worth the risk?  His behavior was dangerous and I'm glad that he had the maturity and common sense to feel remorse for it; let's just see if he has the self-discipline to not repeat that mistake again.

Now, I'm not preaching from some ivory tower (read my 'sig), but if you're gonna' tempt fate leave other people out of it..

tecmopar

Thats exactly why you own a Charger, because it CAN do just what you did but still a bit on the dangerous side. Not every car can do that and your not alone, I'm sure quite a few of us have done this more then once, drive safe and good luck.

tan top

Quote from: bull on September 04, 2006, 09:12:16 PM
No harm no foul. The old girl probably needed the carbon blown out of her anyway.
:haha:  awesome stuff ,  would liked to of seen that  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BrianShaughnessy

Given the same circumstances...   I'd have done the exact same thing.   :drive:       

Other than that... I plead the 5th  :angel: 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

ChargerRob

:drive:  Ballsy move but Cool.  :coolgleamA:  Definately not a repeat thing to do. :cheers:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

almerkel

I just called the State Police. :icon_smile_cool:  They have your statement and will soon be in ELK looking for you.    :yesnod: ;D

41husk

Great story, I was waiting for a deer ran infront, you had a blow out or the lead car holding everyone up was a cop.  I have to agree with the others No harm no foul, but your right not very smart.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Shakey

Quote from: 41husk on September 05, 2006, 07:14:47 AM
Great story, I was waiting for a deer ran infront, you had a blow out or the lead car holding everyone up was a cop.  I have to agree with the others No harm no foul, but your right not very smart.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was in Mexico, a long time ago, and was sitting in traffic on a country road in the middle of nowhere doing a paltry 10k kph in my Jeep and was wondering what the hold up was.  Finally found a stretch of road where we could pass and started gunning it.  As I got to the front of the line (about 10 - 15 cars) there were six fellas carrying a cofin.  Ooops.   :rotz: