News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I did a REALLY DUMB thing with the Charger today!

Started by RECHRGD, September 04, 2006, 08:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I'm a 58 year old professional and know better than to pull the stunt I did today.  I would also repremand anybody on this site for such spupid actions.  That said, I was returning home from a car show in Northern Idaho today and got stuck behind a bunch of slow moving RV's and cars on a two lane interstate.  I couldn't see who was holding up everybody and I was about a 1/3 mile back in the pack.  After a good amount of time and nobody trying to pass the offending vehicle, I pulled out into the left lane and saw a wide open road ahead for a good mile or so.  The adreniline kicked in and I floored the Charger.  Within 4 or 5 vehicles passed I was doing well over 100 mph and backed off a little but was still accellerating.  When I reached the front on the pack, there was a '64 Chevy from the car show that evidently did not want any bugs sticking to the front of his ride.  I blew by him at 125mph+ with my foot off the gas (decellerating).  My initial feeling was that the guy in that Chevy must now know how much he was pissing people off behind him.  In a few moments I went from my 20 year old mindset back to 58 and realized that I could have not only totalled the Charger, but killed myself and others along the way.  Most of the time I drive this car my wife is with me and I drive like an old lady, but when I'm by myself I have a tendency to revert back to my youth.  Feeling 20 again is great but this move was just plain stupid.  BTW the Charger felt great at speed and I wish I had a video with sound of the people in the Chevy as I flashed by them.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

bull

No harm no foul. The old girl probably needed the carbon blown out of her anyway.

RD

SHAME ON YOU!!!

man, i wish you had a video too! that would have been awesome seeing you blow the doors off the chebbie!!!! :D :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Sweet T

Congratulations, that's what I call fun.  I'm sure they thought it was cool to see the old Charger in action doing what it does best.  I agree it's not the smartest thing to do or legal but hell it's good to drop the hammer now and then.  Besides how are Chargers suppose to keep their badass image if we don't do things like that now and then?
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

nh_mopar_fan

The real jerk was the clown in the Chebbie who should've pulled over at some point and let everyone else go by.

69charger2002

good job. i agree, not smart looking back, but no harm no foul. i do it sometimes too. not to that extent. never hurts to stomp them once in a while
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

daytonalo

I just pooped my pant's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FourSpeedRT

Hey ReCharged....was that the Spirit Lake show you attended? I was going to go,but had things to do at home.....wished I had gone now.....good story tho....something to think about for sure.....take care....FourSpeedRT.

derailed

Only thing im wondering is   Why did ya back off it???

AirborneSilva

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on September 04, 2006, 09:27:44 PM
The real jerk was the clown in the Chebbie who should've pulled over at some point and let everyone else go by.

I agree, it's also the law in Idaho that if you are holding up 5 or more cars that you are suppose to pull over to let them by....  Man I'll bet it felt great to open her up too  :drive:

RECHRGD

Quote from: FourSpeedRT on September 04, 2006, 09:53:30 PM
Hey ReCharged....was that the Spirit Lake show you attended? I was going to go,but had things to do at home.....wished I had gone now.....good story tho....something to think about for sure.....take care....FourSpeedRT.
Yea!  It was the Spirit Lake Show.  They had over 200 cars and was well put together.  The clouds helped keep the temps down too.  you should have come.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Bandit4142

Every once in awhile you need to let her open up and breathe!  :p

Could have been worse, the last time I did that and couldn't see who was leading, it turned out to be a State Trooper!    You should have seen me trying to explain that ticket to my wife.  :p
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

triple_green

Bob,

I'm 47 and still haven't grown up when it comes to the Charger. (and other things).

Congratulations, you had a blast and no harm came from it.

I am not in a position to throw stones ::) :yesnod:

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

73rallye440magnum

Well, you had fun, right? And was any harm done? No. Just let the Charger breathe a little, I bet she needed a little air. I must say, I'm jealous. The Chevy in the front makes the story that much better.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Dennis K

So which is worse, the shame you feel for what you did, or the fact that you have a smile on your face that you can't knock off with a stick?

dodge freak

The only safe speed is zero and even then it could get hit. This is why people have insurance and if they don't have it they should not drive a car worth more than they can afford to lose.

Sorry if that sounds cold or whatever but there is so much that can happen - a deer jumps out in front of you, a short circuit starts a fire,  theres allways a drunk to look out for and those teenagers try to hit 100 mph for the first time. Anybody who's been driving long enough knows ANYTHING can happen on the road no matter how slow or safe you feel you are driving.

myk

Agreed, but accelerating onto the wrong side of the road just to "show off," that's right, "show off" for the masses just increases the chances of something going wrong.  Is risking bodily injury or losing lives, or more importantly your Charger worth the risk?  His behavior was dangerous and I'm glad that he had the maturity and common sense to feel remorse for it; let's just see if he has the self-discipline to not repeat that mistake again.

Now, I'm not preaching from some ivory tower (read my 'sig), but if you're gonna' tempt fate leave other people out of it..

tecmopar

Thats exactly why you own a Charger, because it CAN do just what you did but still a bit on the dangerous side. Not every car can do that and your not alone, I'm sure quite a few of us have done this more then once, drive safe and good luck.

tan top

Quote from: bull on September 04, 2006, 09:12:16 PM
No harm no foul. The old girl probably needed the carbon blown out of her anyway.
:haha:  awesome stuff ,  would liked to of seen that  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BrianShaughnessy

Given the same circumstances...   I'd have done the exact same thing.   :drive:       

Other than that... I plead the 5th  :angel: 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

ChargerRob

:drive:  Ballsy move but Cool.  :coolgleamA:  Definately not a repeat thing to do. :cheers:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

almerkel

I just called the State Police. :icon_smile_cool:  They have your statement and will soon be in ELK looking for you.    :yesnod: ;D

41husk

Great story, I was waiting for a deer ran infront, you had a blow out or the lead car holding everyone up was a cop.  I have to agree with the others No harm no foul, but your right not very smart.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Shakey

Quote from: 41husk on September 05, 2006, 07:14:47 AM
Great story, I was waiting for a deer ran infront, you had a blow out or the lead car holding everyone up was a cop.  I have to agree with the others No harm no foul, but your right not very smart.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was in Mexico, a long time ago, and was sitting in traffic on a country road in the middle of nowhere doing a paltry 10k kph in my Jeep and was wondering what the hold up was.  Finally found a stretch of road where we could pass and started gunning it.  As I got to the front of the line (about 10 - 15 cars) there were six fellas carrying a cofin.  Ooops.   :rotz:   

OldGuy

Bob,
No problem - you had a mile straight away, your car is in great shape and you have at least 42 years of driving experience.  The problem was back when you were 20 years old - 4 years of driving experience with an older car that probably couldn't get up past 70 MPH on roads that couldn't handle speeds over 65 MPH.  Then came the big muscle and we tried driving them flat out on those roads that couldn't handle speeds over 65 MPH.  Guys our age did not know how to handle that kind of speed and power for the first time back then. 

It's a part of you now.  I'll open mine up occasionally on the interstate just to blow by a ricer to let them know what a real car looks and sounds like.  When I slow it back down - I have the same thoughts.  I guess it is a "pride" thing that we need to control.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

BigBlockSam

Quotethe lead car holding everyone up was a cop

thats what i tought it would be. enjoy your car life's short, just don't kill anybody  :D
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Charger_Fan

I just hope you practically sent the Chebby owner into convulsions when you blew by him. :D

I'm guilty of doing that too (although I hardly do it these days :icon_smile_tongue:), the only thing that sucks is when you're blazing past everyone & someone at the front of the pack decides to do the same thing...without checking their mirrors first. :o
Had that happen a few years ago on my bike. I'm just glad it's got great brakes, because if I was in a car, I probably would have ended up in his trunk. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

73chgrSE

2 lanes, in Idaho, sounds like it was just alittle too tempting for you. :icon_smile_approve:

70charginglizard

That would have definately been an excellant video from the Chevy's perspective
70charginglizard

6pkrunner

Yeah its fun to wind back the clock and feel like a kid again isn't it. I do it too - more often than I should.

But here's a thought to make you 58 or even 68 again. Suppose one of the slow moving RVs didn't bother checking the rearview and pulled out to pass as you've got a head of steam in the boiler room. ;D

RECHRGD

Quote from: 6pkrunner on September 05, 2006, 02:48:21 PM
Yeah its fun to wind back the clock and feel like a kid again isn't it. I do it too - more often than I should.

But here's a thought to make you 58 or even 68 again. Suppose one of the slow moving RVs didn't bother checking the rearview and pulled out to pass as you've got a head of steam in the boiler room. ;D

That's why I was so pissed at myself!  That scenario would have been real ugly.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

6pkrunner

I do the exact same thing a few times a year and then have some cold sweats at night. Last time was a car show about 30 miles away. There was a lineup of about 70 or maybe more vintage cars on the highway going home. In the lead were the 1930 vintage guys doing a heartbreak 40 mph or so. Did the exact same thing you did. Was a blast flying by all the oldies on the way past. That night started tossing around the thought of another more "senior" person than myself just pulling out.

Rewind the clock 35-40 years ago and a toggle switch was used instead of a gas pedal. If it wasn't to the boards, it was parked. But then there were less than half the cars on the roads as there are today. Some of our roads that had spray painted lines crossing the road 1320 feet apart may not see but three or so cars a day on them other than us yahoos. Now its bumper to bumper - almost.

MOPARHOUND!

When I was in college, I drove truck for spending money during the summer. 

I was at the front of a long line of cars and pickups waiting for a slow moving train to clear the tracks on a two lane road.  I watched in the driver's side mirror as a motorcycle cop came buzzing up passing 30+ vehicles just to the outside of the centerline.  At the same time a guy about 10th in line in a pick-up decided he wasn't going to wait any longer and attempted to turn left into a driveway to turn around and go the opposite direction.  The cop hammered the front fender of the pick-up, and he and the bike went tumbling through the air and landed hard.  Ugly scene.  A whole bunch of car doors came flying open to see to the officer.  The train cleared the track a few seconds later, and I rolled on.  With 20 or more people there, didn't know what else I could do.

Ever since I have been leary of passing more than one car at a time on a two lane road.  And if I do, I do it with the anticpation that one of the cars in the line has the same idea I do of pulling out and passing.

Know another story, but this one's enough.

I'm also to the age now that street racing is no longer a consideration either.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

TylerCharger69

Well...for one...if he is that worried about getting bugs on his car....he should be trailering it anyway  and not holding up regular muscle car traffic.   And....bugs wash off!!!   As far as your offense.....well.....the Chargers need a nice kick in the pants every once in a while.  Only thing I see wrong with what you did  was taking the risk of kicking up a rock on that Chebbie's paint job.  58 yrs. old.  You obviously know how to handle your car, and being 58, you wouldn't have taken any risks that would've gotten you hurt.   A teenager...yes.....most don't know any better.  Any way....just say 10 Hail Mary's.....drink a beer and we will forgive you....lol    We couldn't see you do that from our house anyway....lmao :icon_smile_wink:

4402tuff4u

Rule of thumb: if you are in a hurry DO NOT TAKE THE CHARGER! You might regret it! :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

last426

When I was about 19 I did the same thing.  It was on the straight stretch in Washoe Valley between Reno and Carson City.  Me and a friend on the way to Tahoe, the last I looked at the speedometer it was reading 135, then a darn pickup pulling a trailer without big enough side mirrors decided to pull into my lane.  I hit the brakes and slowed down to maybe 70.  Here is the result, with my car ending halfway up on his car trailer, his "race" car onto the pickup bed, and a reckless driving ticket in my pocket -- he got a ticket for no mirrors.  Live and learn.  Was it worth it, probably not.  Would I do it again?  Not with the car I have now but darn it, if I was 19 again, had a newish plumb crazy r/t, yeah, I bet I would -- that's just how I live my life.  Kim 

TylerCharger69

Say!!!  That looks repairable!!!    I've seen worse get repaired than this......but....it still does suck for that to happen though

dodge freak

I think he was more worry about that reckless driving ticket. Thats BS but did you really tell the cop how fast you think you were going ? How did they know you even hit the brakes and did not just hit it at around 65 mph ? When I am passing I don't look at the speedometer and if I did I would forget that I did.

Yeah 19 we were not so smart, I had some jackass old man slam the brakes in front of me when I peel rubber from the light.  I bump in to him-this is before I drove with both feet-thinking it was HIS fault I followed him down to the station, his car look ok but my bumper was pushed in a little. The cop writes up the accident as MY fault for being to close to him. The old man claimed he hear a noise and did not know where it was coming from so he stop ! That old man knew what he was doing but I could not prove it.

Being 19 stinks in some ways.

Lord Warlock

My gawd, everyone is soooo politically correct conscious these days...  I fail to see the error here as long as a sharp eye is kept on the cars on the right to ensure noone attempts to do the same thing you were doing.  I'm sure every one of them wanted to do the same.  Evidently you don't live in Florida where everyone drives 20mph over the limit...lol.  Yes there is always an element of danger for taking a risk in passing more than 3 cars at a time, as well as exceeding 100mph in the process.  HOWEVER, I would do the same as long as the left lane is clear with no oncoming cars in sight.  I've done the same numerous times in the past and the only time I regretted it was when I passed 6 cars only to find a cop in the front of the blockage holding traffic down below 55mph.  (a few years back when 55 was the limit) I'd slowed to 75 before passing him though so the ticket wasn't that bad.  

What is the point of having a high performance car if you don't occasionally "blow the pipes out"?  I'll admit that I don't take my cars much over 100 anymore, but that is mainly because in a big city, even on the interstate there is too much traffic to get much over 85.  Don't feel guilty in having a lead foot, REVEL in it!!!  Offensive drivers rarely cause an accident, as they usually are paying pretty close attention to their surroundings when doing so, I wouldn't say I drive aggressively, but I do drive with a purpose and usually slightly faster than the rest on the road, and being an old fart, the cops are usually less likely to pull me over than if they saw a kid doing the same thing.  

Now if you admitted to participating in a street race, thru a residential area or a school zone, or with spectators present, I'd wag my tongue in your direction a bit.  (thats what back roads in the boonies are for...if you don't have a 1/4 mile track available...and we don't here, only a crappy 1/8th)

Lord Warlock
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.